Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 01:55 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post

When babysitting in GA a few years ago, my sister witnessed a scene where a mother hanging out with her kid in the subdivision, took out some grapes and started feeding her child. Another small kid approached and started to point at the grapes, to which the mother replied: "these are for my child, your mother should give you some" - and didn't offer one single grape. My sister almost threw up - literally.
I just wanted to respond to this one little thing (not trying to hijack the thread!) but, honestly, with all the food allergies going around and the number of parents who are very specific about what they're kids do/don't eat, that mom was probably safer with what she did. If she didn't know the child, she shouldn't have offered him/her something. I, for one, wouldn't want a stranger giving my kid something to eat! Now, among friends, sure I will shout over to the mom "Hey, is it ok if I give him some grapes?" But a kid I don't know? - Heck no, I might get sued if the kid has an allergy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 04:54 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
I just wanted to respond to this one little thing (not trying to hijack the thread!) but, honestly, with all the food allergies going around and the number of parents who are very specific about what they're kids do/don't eat, that mom was probably safer with what she did. If she didn't know the child, she shouldn't have offered him/her something. I, for one, wouldn't want a stranger giving my kid something to eat! Now, among friends, sure I will shout over to the mom "Hey, is it ok if I give him some grapes?" But a kid I don't know? - Heck no, I might get sued if the kid has an allergy!
or gets the grape stuck in his little throat! I think I cut up my kids grapes until they were like 5!

Old 02-13-2010, 05:57 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,098 times
Of course your baby is cute, it's yours. Everyone else may not think so, and everyone else might also not give a hoot that you have a baby, in the sense that they don't want to make a fuss over your child. You are being far too self centered. Watch those old people, they carry germs like everyone else, and are much more feely when it comes to babies. Even strangers think they can touch your children, then they are taken aback when you ask them not to. Such is life, you must be an older parent who lives in line with syracusa and thinks that anyone not from your generation is a low life piece of trash whos feelings and opinions dont matter

Old 02-13-2010, 06:01 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
I would imagine his sister is as overly sensitive as he/she is about everything too. Almost throwing up because a mother wouldn't give food to a strange child? If my daughter walked up to someone in a park and they handed her food, I would have a fit. There is NO reason for a stranger to offer food to a child they don't know, nevermind allergies, germs, poison, all these crazies anymore.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:55 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
I wasn't aware that societal norms dictate that I must smile and coo at every baby I see. Some people aren't particularly fond of children, some people are too busy, and some just don't care. Do you honestly think "younger" parents are jealous of your baby's appearance?

The only time I interact with an unknown person's baby is if the baby is in front of me in line and looking directly at me. I may smile or play peek-a-boo, but I don't see any need to tell the parent how perfect their little snowflake is.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
It sounds to me like the OP is equating "politeness" with a willingness to walk up to a complete stranger and comment on something the stranger happens to be carrying. Maybe younger people are more respectful of people's privacy. Furthermore, what if the baby is only average looking? Is it considered polite to walk up to strangers and say "My, what an average looking baby!", or is it more polite to intrude into a stranger's privacy for the sole purpose of telling a lie? In fact, half of all babies are relatively lugly, compared to the average baby. Now what?

Old 02-13-2010, 11:10 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
I wasn't aware that societal norms dictate that I must smile and coo at every baby I see. Some people aren't particularly fond of children, some people are too busy, and some just don't care. Do you honestly think "younger" parents are jealous of your baby's appearance?

The only time I interact with an unknown person's baby is if the baby is in front of me in line and looking directly at me. I may smile or play peek-a-boo, but I don't see any need to tell the parent how perfect their little snowflake is.
I agree completely. I absolutely adore children, but I do not make it a point to comment on every child I see. I coo over and dote on friend and family's children- there is no reason to do so for strangers.

I suppose I have a very New England/European view towards how to conduct myself in public.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:20 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
Seems odd that you would take it to mean your child is just so cute that they are jealous.

I was always taught that "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all", which could be what is happening. Maybe these young people have better manners than the OP thinks they do.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:31 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by facts101 View Post
As a new parent, I have noticed some interesting things when my wife and I are out in certain public places with our 2 month old baby. It seems that older people are so nice and polite with their actions and comments. They usually smile and say something very nice. On the other hand, younger people, in particular the younger parents, usually don't say anything and almost come across as rude at times. It's fascinating to me to see these younger parents act this way in front of their children showing their kids that this is the way to conduct yourself. It even seems sometimes like younger people are jealous because my wife and I have an adorable looking baby with a very cute face. In the short time that I have been a parent, this behavior has only been noticed with younger people. This was something I did not expect. I have always gotten alot of attention from girls and women as far back as I can remember starting in preschool, through my childhood and as a young man. This started in the 1970s. Maybe the baby is just of chip off the old block, I don't know. Hope I can say this without upsetting anyone (I say that lightly). Has anyone had similar experiences?
I truly hope this is not a serious question.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:45 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I've never run across a man who thinks people are jealous of him. That's typically a mindset that women possess to make themselves feel better.

It sounds like you are upset that younger parents aren't giving your baby attention like you received when you were little. Even if that's not your intent, that's how it sounds.
That's kind of what I though too. And I will add that I don't care for parents who think THEIR child is the end all be all of everything and that everyone else should think so too.

Personally, I take notice of kids who are similar to mine (ie "that mom has 2 boys too") and might notice if they behave like mine/better/worse, etc. And I notice twins or other multiples because they are rare. And kids who behave badly. Other than that, I have my own kids to deal with. I'm probably not paying much attention to yours.

Old people seem to love kids. Maybe because they will never have any more of their own. Maybe because they miss their own grand kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting