Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 08:50 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
This is exactly why I came up with the answer of 2. Because I would not have written the problem that way in the first place. As the original is written, I would have interpreted it the way you have it in the second example:
48/(2(9+3))

Which does, in fact, equal 2.

That might not be how it was intended, but that would've been how I interpreted it.
If you use the correct order of operations, it has to be interpreted as (48/2)(9+3) though. This is because you always do division and multiplication left to right (they are on an equal footing).

Old 04-14-2013, 06:37 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The question is "How many dollars per person should be paid?". That's what we're trying to find out.

It is incorrect to model this problem with 5/4n which would provide you with units of people per dollar. The answer should be in units of dollars per person. The denominator and numerator need to be switched.

It would 80 dollars divided by by 5 people. The math would be (4 days * ($20/day))/5 = $80/5 = $16/person.
oops, my bad. that's what I get for trying to make up a math problem. Duh, of course its divided by five, not five divided by. And then that wouldn't be a good example, because left to right would be correct.

As I said, I'm not claiming to be an expert, and I thought like you also until corrected. But it was definitely TAUGHT to him that a coefficient and its variable are implied parentheses.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:54 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
M is in 2nd grade. We moved to this distreict because it supposedly has the best schools in the state and our taxes reflect this fact.

Yesterday I had a meeting with M's teacher because she needs improvement in a few areas but mostly it is a lack of focus. Teacher showed me some papers where M used the words "went" and "gone" incorrectly, as in "I gone to the beach". I told her M is not around anybody who speaks this way and I wondered where she hears that kind of speech. Then teacher says she is having trouble with that particular problem with several kids in her class. We went on to a math paper and teacher says " See this problem here? I just had went over this concept yet she still had a few problems."

I very politely asked her if she realized what she said and she did not so again I politely pointed out to her what she said. She looked confused and said "Is that not correct?" I tried to soften the situation by making jokes about how I am very conscious of grammar and would never correct anybody in normal conversation but since she pointed it out on M's paper, maybe M is hearing it in class.

A few minutes later teacher used "had went" again and again I pointed out to her in a kind manner this error. She still didn't know it was wrong. I couldn't remember the exact rule but I did tell her you use "went" alone and "gone" with "had".

Two more times in our meeting this 24 year old teacher only in her second year of teaching used "had came" and "they gone to lunch". I decided not to mention these errors but I was very discouraged when I left the meeting.

My daughter is trying so hard but she struggles and I am willing to stand up for her as much as I need to. Teacher and I are on good ground and I don't want to jeopardize this but some part of me feels I should talk to somebody about this-either the principal or another teacher there I greatly admire.

What, if anything would you do?
Grammar doesn't seem to matter anymore. I was in the dressing room of our local aquatic center and overheard a retired teacher from NYC talking to her friends. "I seen" was said several times in the conversation. I guess we must say that wrong here in North Carolina because I have always been taught that it should be "I have seen."

Old 04-14-2013, 09:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Oh please. If grammar mistakes make people "incompetent" than everyone on CD is incompetent, yourself included.

No one is perfect, even you. I am sure you have made mistakes at your job, whatever it is, probably every single day. Its human nature.

And if you really think people learn to speak "properly" at school and not at home, your just plain old wrong. For a child to properly use the words went and gone, they need to hear it correctly at home, no one needs to be "retaught". Parents spend over 120,000 hours with their children, and the typical teacher spends less than 200 hrs. I once had a teacher that was from the south and said "y'all". Based on your reasoning I would say that as well. I do not. Not one single student in any of her classes suddenly started saying "y'all". Maybe we should have turned her into the principal for "incompetence" after all she didn't speak "proper" English.
If the real education is to be provided in the home, then why are we spending trillions of dollars on schools and teacher salaries so that the teachers have the opportunity to teach the kid improper English and slang?

What you're promoting is that kids from disadvantaged families should always remain disadvantaged. The teachers don't have to know the material they're teaching, and children from homes where the parents speak poorly will never have much chance to learn.

This is exactly what will keep children in lower classes. No expectations of teachers but teachers can be the only hope for some kids. What happens when the child grows up and tries to find a job and cannot speak anything but slang and double negatives throughout the job interview?

And because some teacher is inspiring but doesn't know math and so taught it all wrong, only thosechildren whose parents have the time and knowledge to teach and undo the teacher's errors will have any chance at having a career that involves math.

This is exactly what's wrong with education in the USA today. Incompetence is acceptable and a high school diploma no longer means much of anything.

As for the math equation, since this is the age of computers, I think it should be taught the way a computer would solve it -- otherwise we're going to have some very poor computer programmers.

Would someone like having a pharmacist preparing a solution of IV drugs for their child who cannot correctly do a math equation? Or who cannot read and write procedures?

Old 04-14-2013, 10:00 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If the real education is to be provided in the home, then why are we spending trillions of dollars on schools and teacher salaries so that the teachers have the opportunity to teach the kid improper English and slang?

What you're promoting is that kids from disadvantaged families should always remain disadvantaged. The teachers don't have to know the material they're teaching, and children from homes where the parents speak poorly will never have much chance to learn.

This is exactly what will keep children in lower classes. No expectations of teachers but teachers can be the only hope for some kids. What happens when the child grows up and tries to find a job and cannot speak anything but slang and double negatives throughout the job interview?

And because some teacher is inspiring but doesn't know math and so taught it all wrong, only thosechildren whose parents have the time and knowledge to teach and undo the teacher's errors will have any chance at having a career that involves math.

This is exactly what's wrong with education in the USA today. Incompetence is acceptable and a high school diploma no longer means much of anything.

As for the math equation, since this is the age of computers, I think it should be taught the way a computer would solve it -- otherwise we're going to have some very poor computer programmers.

Would someone like having a pharmacist preparing a solution of IV drugs for their child who cannot correctly do a math equation? Or who cannot read and write procedures?
Logical fallacy alarm here.

The teacher misused TWO WORDS. Move the goal posts much?

SHE DID NOT USE SLANG, DID NOT USE DOUBLE NEGATIVES, etc. Do I need to go line by line and show all of the things this teacher DID NOT DO?

You have now taken my idea; that all people make the occasional mistake (even you, as evident by your posts) in their speech, spelling, grammar, etc. and should not be fired over it and twisted it to the ridiculous statements above.

Why are teachers expected to be PERFECT when doctors aren't even expected to be perfect and they deal in life and death?

Because people like to look down on others is the final sum answer.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Grammar doesn't seem to matter anymore. I was in the dressing room of our local aquatic center and overheard a retired teacher from NYC talking to her friends. "I seen" was said several times in the conversation. I guess we must say that wrong here in North Carolina because I have always been taught that it should be "I have seen."
Maybe it is a local custom.

Example around here, we call it a "hill of beans".

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Her speech was not worth a heal of beans because she was just making excuses.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:10 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Teachers are just ordinary Americans.

Let's ban water (this is a crack up!):

People Sign Petition to Ban Water! - YouTube

Americans are NOT stupid - WITH SUBTITLES - YouTube

Old 04-14-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Teachers are just ordinary Americans.

Let's ban water (this is a crack up!):

People Sign Petition to Ban Water! - YouTube

Americans are NOT stupid - WITH SUBTITLES - YouTube
While the video is funny I am alarmed by the fact that anyone think that it is representative of anything. I am sure lots of people answered those things correctly, but as those are not funny, they don't end up in the clip.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:47 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
This is a tough one since language is learned as much organically as much as by instruction. The troublesome thing to me is not so much that she uses an incorrect usage but that she does not seem to know it is wrong. Any update?

Old 04-14-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
This is a tough one since language is learned as much organically as much as by instruction. The troublesome thing to me is not so much that she uses an incorrect usage but that she does not seem to know it is wrong. Any update?

The teacher was fired, the OP is happy about it and the child speaks just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting