Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 04:29 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Just sick of the self-righteous and yet error ridden posts in this thread.

I would not take anyone's livelihood away for two words.

Clearly the majority of people in this thread would have a woman fired over TWO WORDS. Yet again proving why tenure is necessary.

A reminder about the FACT that this man held the highest office in the land and despite his near illiteracy at times, no one was calling for him to be FIRED.

A wildly appropriate one:

"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?" George W. Bush

Grammar Lessons from President George W. Bush
Not true - I knew quite a few people who would have been happy with that outcome

Old 04-16-2013, 04:36 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Just sick of the self-righteous and yet error ridden posts in this thread.

I would not take anyone's livelihood away for two words.

Clearly the majority of people in this thread would have a woman fired over TWO WORDS. Yet again proving why tenure is necessary.

A reminder about the FACT that this man held the highest office in the land and despite his near illiteracy at times, no one was calling for him to be FIRED.

A wildly appropriate one:

"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?" George W. Bush

Grammar Lessons from President George W. Bush

I WAS! The guy was a complete idiot. It was an embarrassment on the world stage that he was the President of the United State of America.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:42 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Not true - I knew quite a few people who would have been happy with that outcome
Really? For his GRAMMAR?

Trust me I was no fan but was his grammar what made him incompetent?

People are acting like this 23 yo first year teacher and a woman old enough to HER mother were on an equal footing. In all likelihood the teacher was extraordinarily nervous (as almost all new teachers are when dealing with parents) so focused on the idea that she was trying to explain to the parent that she wasn't even aware of what she was saying. And because of THAT conversation she should lose her entire ability to support herself and her family. That annoys me.

Seriously, imagine having your most boneheaded moment in your career as being the defining moment (as all of you want to do to this 23 yo). Whatever unthinking asinine statement, hold it up in front of your boss as the sum totality of your abilities as an employee. If that still seems fair to any of you so be it.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Really? For his GRAMMAR?

For what his lack of grammar and other things about him demonstrated about his intelligence, education and ability.

Revisit this. Yes, his lack of ability at speaking the English language was one indication of his incompetence to lead the free world. I am damned ok with that judgement.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
For what his lack of grammar and other things about him demonstrated about his intelligence, education and ability.
See this is why this is bizarre. He has a world class formal education. He is intelligent by any measure of intelligence and despite what the people on this forum think about others (and never themselves) is that a grammatical error does not actual prove someone is stupid. If it did everyone posting here is a moron because all of us have mistakes in our grammar.

Quote:
Revisit this. Yes, his lack of ability at speaking the English language was one indication of his incompetence to lead the free world. I am damned ok with that judgement.
Superficial. Judging an intelligent, ivy-leauge educated man as incompetent based on his grammar is ridiculous and superficial.

THE EXACT SAME WAY JUDGING A WOMAN INCOMPETENT AND STUPID OVER TWO WORDS IS SUPERFICIAL.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
See this is why this is bizarre. He has a world class formal education.
Well, a degree anyway.
Quote:
He is intelligent by any measure of intelligence and despite what the people on this forum think about others (and never themselves) is that a grammatical error does not actual prove someone is stupid. If it did everyone posting here is a moron because all of us have mistakes in our grammar.

Superficial. Judging an intelligent, ivy-leauge educated man as incompetent based on his grammar is ridiculous and superficial.
Well to be fair, the judgement does not come solely from his grammar.
Quote:
THE EXACT SAME WAY JUDGING A WOMAN INCOMPETENT AND STUPID OVER TWO WORDS IS SUPERFICIAL.
Holding an ivy league degree in any event. I am sure if you yell loud enough at us, we will certainly come to agree with you.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:06 PM

Based on your idea that grammar is indicative of incompetence does that mean Steve Jobs was incompetent?

He routinely butchered language when he spoke of his own products in front of millions of people.

Can Use of English Language and Grammar Define Intelligence?

So I take it you also think Obama is incompetent for his grammar?

New York Times Rips Bush Grammar, Ignores Obama's

Do we really think the president does not understand what subject verb agreement is? Or do we think he made a MISTAKE?

Old 04-16-2013, 05:46 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Logical fallacy alarm here.

The teacher misused TWO WORDS. Move the goal posts much?

SHE DID NOT USE SLANG, DID NOT USE DOUBLE NEGATIVES, etc. Do I need to go line by line and show all of the things this teacher DID NOT DO?

You have now taken my idea; that all people make the occasional mistake (even you, as evident by your posts) in their speech, spelling, grammar, etc. and should not be fired over it and twisted it to the ridiculous statements above.

Why are teachers expected to be PERFECT when doctors aren't even expected to be perfect and they deal in life and death?

Because people like to look down on others is the final sum answer.
Excellent post.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:56 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Once more....

Parents....nearly 200,000 hours
One teacher.....less than 200 hours

Yes, immerse away.

And I hope all of you get fired from your "jobs" for any mistake you make ever. Two words, and you think this woman should lose her career. Ridiculous.
Another great post.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:12 PM

17,382 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Really? For his GRAMMAR?

People are acting like this 23 yo first year teacher and a woman old enough to HER mother were on an equal footing. In all likelihood the teacher was extraordinarily nervous (as almost all new teachers are when dealing with parents) so focused on the idea that she was trying to explain to the parent that she wasn't even aware of what she was saying. And because of THAT conversation she should lose her entire ability to support herself and her family. That annoys me.

Seriously, imagine having your most boneheaded moment in your career as being the defining moment (as all of you want to do to this 23 yo). Whatever unthinking asinine statement, hold it up in front of your boss as the sum totality of your abilities as an employee. If that still seems fair to any of you so be it.
I thought that the OP never mentioned this to the teacher's superiors. If that's true, why would you think that the teacher was fired over this conversation? Seems very unlikely. It simply sounds as though the OP offered some gentle, constructive criticism to her child's teacher. That's it, that's all.

Would I be concerned if my young child's teacher made those mistakes? Probably. Would I point them out to the teacher? Maybe, especially if I thought that the mistakes were impacting my child. Would I be rude and disrespectful about it? Absolutely not. Would I want the teacher to be terminated over this? No, but I would want her to take my concerns into consideration.

Do you think it would have been better for the OP to keep her mouth shut, not mention a thing and let the teacher go on blissfully unaware that she was making those mistakes? Who exactly would that have benefited?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting