Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 03:54 PM

24,086 posts, read 32,424,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinivedivichi View Post
I don't think the OP is saying she is perfect. And she's not really nitpicking at minor slang. The teacher's issues seem to be more widespread and even relevant to her own child's issues. Furthermore, don't underestimate the importance of communication - both verbal and written. Like it or not, there are a lot of people (including myself) that tend to give less credence to the message if the delivery is butchered.
No, the OP was not saying that she is perfect , but I happen to think that she is free of egregious grammatical errors.

When one sends a bright and verbal child to school, a child with a good command of the English language and a solid vocabulary, one does not expect them to return form the same school telling her elder brother that she "seen" him doing anything. EeeeeK!

Old 04-13-2013, 03:56 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,738,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Elementary school teachers should be held to a higher standard than doctors, lawyers, presidents and basically everyone except newscasters because YOU say so?

Oh, and btw, many students especially younger ones, those at risk, etc. will relate to a teacher better if they teacher will modify their speech to be more accessible. In the south this may mean the occasional, "y'all" or a "wicked ah-some" in Boston.

And oh the irony! Just wondering of the people who complain about people's grammar in this thread, when you make all the errors in your posts, those are just "typos", right? LOL.
That's irrelevant.

Teachers have a lot of influence, especially in the lower grades. My child spends all day with this same teacher, and kids in this age group often emulate their teachers and see them as all-knowing. That is completely different from when a professor says things incorrectly, or has odd speech patterns.. or even a high school teacher. At that point in a person's education they have hopefully been taught correctly at some point and are not going to be influenced one way or the other. I have a professor that says "fell" for "fail" and "mell" for "mail". It's mildly amusing and it isn't going to cause me to start pronouncing things oddly, because I am not ten years old.

When someone posts on a public internet forum, it is hardly the same as someone who is in charge of teaching young children. I've worked in a school setting with kids from age 2.5 through fourth grade. I was much more mindful of my speech and behavior while dealing with other people's children. The way I spoke at school was NOT the same as how I spoke at home because I was aware that I was modeling for a group of kids in a professional setting.

The same as when I am writing an academic paper for a grade, vs. posting here on CD. Obviously I am more careful and thoughtful with my professional or academic writing.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:00 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,913,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No, the OP was not saying that she is perfect , but I happen to think that she is free of egregious grammatical errors.

When one sends a bright and verbal child to school, a child with a good command of the English language and a solid vocabulary, one does not expect them to return form the same school telling her elder brother that she "seen" him doing anything. EeeeeK!
Pronoun-antecedent agreement is very important, too.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:02 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,830,907 times
Talk to the principal about it. I had a coworker at one time teach 3 year olds and she constantly confused her he/she and him/her. My son's teacher in 5th grade said my son was doing this. She was his teacher again in the school before kindgarten. I worked with her in speaking correctly. And my son.

In all honesty the teacher is calling the kettle black.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:29 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,371,667 times
My son's walks around mimicking his typing teacher, who say's "Yous stop banging on them keys!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The correct answer is 288.
I don't claim to be an expert, but I disagree. I say it is 2.
48/2(9+3)
48/2n, when n=9+3
n=12
2n=24
48/24

I know this because I corrected my son's homework just last month, and I was greeted the next day with an angry stare and some big red X's on his homework on only the ones that I "helped" with, lol. I emailed the teacher to explain, and this was what he explained.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
That isn't technically true.

Order of operations makes division and multiplication EQUAL (since really they are the same mathematical process) the same way addition and subtraction are equal. Meaning if you have multiplication and division in the same problem, you should do them in the order they occur (obviously after parentheses and exponents).

So the problem is really 48/2*(9+3) or 48/2*12 or 288.

Math certainly has exceptions to its rules but unlike grammar they are much more "standard".
While order of operations dictates that division and multiplication be done from left to right, variables are an exception. 8 / 4n when n=2 equals 1, not 4
4(2) is another way of writing 4n, it is still considered a variable.

Quote:
Thank you for pointing that out to her and I.
is this sarcasm.... isn't I a subject pronoun? Please excuse my ignorance, but its been a long time since college, and I may have completely forgotten something here.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:34 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,717,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
I don't claim to be an expert, but I disagree. I say it is 2.
48/2(9+3)
48/2n, when n=9+3
n=12
2n=24
48/24
The above is incorrect. Below is correct.

48/2(9+3)
48/2n, when n=9+3
n=12
48/2*12 = 24*12 = 288

Once the parenthesis, exponents, addition, and subtraction have been completed and all that remains is multiplication and division, the order of operations dictates from left to right.

Order of Operations - PEMDAS

Plug it into excel, matlab, or google and you'll see 288.

I wonder how many teachers actually get this wrong. I wonder how many engineers get this wrong and make incorrect assumptions which results in a wing falling off an airplane. I've asked dozens of engineers and PhDs and mathematicians and they all wrongly say 2. Ask a fifth grader or fifth grade teacher and they'll get it right and tell you 288.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Pronoun-antecedent agreement is very important, too.
"When one sends a bright and verbal child to school, a child with a good command of the English language and a solid vocabulary, one does not expect them to return form the same school telling her elder brother that she "seen" him doing anything."

actually, at least the way they are teaching grammar today.... it is perfectly acceptable to have number disagreement in order to prevent gender discrimination. Yes, you read that correctly. You are NOT supposed to say
"When one sends a bright and verbal child to school, a child with a good command of the English language and a solid vocabulary, one does not expect:
he (gender discrimination)
him or her (doesn't flow)
the plural form needs to be used for its ambiguity and deal with the number disagreement.

It is in my son's grammar book this year, and as an English minor, I was very surprised. In addition, P-stranding (dangling prepositions) are now perfectly acceptable (a pet peeve of mine).

Although in this particular situation, since this poster specified HER older brother that SHE ......, then I guess you are correct, "they" should have just used "she".

Old 04-13-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
The above is incorrect. Below is correct.

48/2(9+3)
48/2n, when n=9+3
n=12
48/2*12 = 24*12 = 288

Once the parenthesis, exponents, addition, and subtraction have been completed and all that remains is multiplication and division, the order of operations dictates from left to right.

Order of Operations - PEMDAS

Plug it into excel, matlab, or google and you'll see 288.

I wonder how many teachers actually get this wrong. I wonder how many engineers get this wrong and make incorrect assumptions which results in a wing falling off an airplane. I've asked dozens of engineers and PhDs and mathematicians and they all wrongly say 2. Ask a fifth grader or fifth grade teacher and they'll get it right and tell you 288.
so google and excel programmers are the experts and engineers, PhDs, and mathematicians don't know what they are talking about?? I'm not saying you are wrong, but I would much rather be on the side of the PhDs, mathematicians, and engineers.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,717,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
so google and excel programmers are the experts and engineers, PhDs, and mathematicians don't know what they are talking about??
In this case, yes.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
In this case, yes.

so if 5 friend choose to split a rental car we need for 4 days. We don't know how much the rental car is yet.
so 5 / 4(the cost of the daily charge) is how much each of us will pay. 5 / 4n

So if the car cost $20 a day, and the bill comes to $80
my mathematician, engineer, PhD, and algebra teacher friends and I will pay $16 each for a total of $80
you and your google, excel, metlab, and fifth grade student friends will pay $25 each for a total of $125

again, I would much rather be on the side of the PhDs, mathematicians, and engineers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.