Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:53 AM

82 posts, read 377,672 times

Advertisements

hi
my mom is taking care of my baby since she was 3 mths old. my dh and i both work full time and put my 3 yr old DD in daycare.

i pay my mom $500 a month for taking care of my baby. is that enough?
i provide diapers and formulas.
she lives in NJ and I live in NYC.

what do you guys think? is $500 enough?
on top of that, chinese new year is here, so should i give her chinese new year money?

i know every year during chinese new year, i give her $2,000 and tat's about it...
but this year since she's taking care of my baby and me paying her $500/mth, we are sorta tight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 08:57 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,009 times
Sure, if your mom hasn't complained- it's fine.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:00 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
I don't know about Chinese NY.... what the rules are and what you are supposed to do.... so I can't help you there.

I think whatever you pay your mother- if she is happy with it.... it is fine. There are a lot of people who don't pay their parents anything.... parents often want to help their kids out....so if you can't afford your usual "gift" for New Years I am sure she would copletely understand.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:07 AM

the thing is, she's always about money money money.
she has money saved up and it's up there in the high 6 figures.

in the beginning, she asked me how much am i going to pay her so, i said $300/mth, and she was hinting it's NOT ENOUGH. so then, i up to $500/mth...

since now, my baby is 7 mths old, she's on solid and baby jar food and stuff. my mom was saying taht i MUST BUY baby food and everything & bring to NJ if she comes to nyc, 'cause she's not going out to buy these.
basically, whenever she drives to NYC, i must have all the baby supplies ready for her to be brought in...& just saying it has to be enough...

i mean, i'm just not happy that she's about money money money.....

Old 02-18-2010, 09:11 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
$500 a month is incredibly cheap for child care for an infant. Count your lucky stars your mother is willing to watch your baby so cheaply. I paid over $800 a month for infant child care over 10 years ago and had to supply my own diapers and food and I don't live in NYC or NJ which are higher COL than my area.

Thank your mother, she really is saving you a lot, and do what you normally would for Chinese new year.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:14 AM

yes, i thank my mom for taking care of my baby. the fact she's always about money and it's not like she's poor or anything....
after my baby turns 1 in july, i'm putting her in daycare which is $900/mth!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-18-2010, 09:19 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1 View Post
hi
my mom is taking care of my baby since she was 3 mths old. my dh and i both work full time and put my 3 yr old DD in daycare.

i pay my mom $500 a month for taking care of my baby. is that enough?
i provide diapers and formulas.
she lives in NJ and I live in NYC.

what do you guys think? is $500 enough?
on top of that, chinese new year is here, so should i give her chinese new year money?

i know every year during chinese new year, i give her $2,000 and tat's about it...
but this year since she's taking care of my baby and me paying her $500/mth, we are sorta tight
Not knowing your mother's finacial situation I really can't say if $500 a month is enough. I know for me it would be a major help to even get $200 a month so $500 would be like winning the lotto.

I was babysitting my grandchild for free as a way to help out my daughter and son in law. They are a young couple and her paycheck was cut short while she was in college and paying for a babysitter would put them in a finacial bind. However it started to put the rest of my family into a bind as well. I was planning on going to work part time right after my youngest started school, but grandbaby came along at that time. At first it wasn't causing any major financial strain, but as the economy kept going downhill things started to pile up and not having any kind of cushion it has been tough. If I would have gone to work instead of babysitting we could have built up a cushion and wouldn't be feeling this economic crunch as hard as we are right now.

My daughter and son and law have been doing pretty well finacially since after my daughter graduated college, but yet I was still babysitting for free with no offer of any sort of payment from my daughter. They are making about as much as we are annually maybe even a bit more and they have only 3 persons in their household and we have 5. I tried bringing it up to my daughter that if they could pay me a little something for babysitting it would be a big help. I was thinking something cheaper than if she put the grandchild in daycare but enough that it would help cover a bill. You know what her answer was? She put the grandchild in daycare because I was no longer able to give her a free ride and she was mad. Now here I am unable to find a job because of the economy and missing my grandchild like crazy. I have only seen her 3-4 times since Halloween and I was used to seeing her pretty much everyday.

So the morale of my story is, Talk to your mother and ask her if she feels $500 a month is enough. She might be fine with it or you may find that she might be needing a bit more depending on her finances. Parents for the most part are pretty understanding of their children's needs and she will most likely accept whatever amount is comfortable for you without putting you into a bind. Just make sure though that you aren't putting her into a bind at the same time.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:21 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1 View Post
yes, i thank my mom for taking care of my baby. the fact she's always about money and it's not like she's poor or anything....
after my baby turns 1 in july, i'm putting her in daycare which is $900/mth!!!!!!!!!!
So then I don't understand! You have your Mom taking care of your baby..your mom the baby's grand mother, for $500 a month & you supply the food, diapers etc which is sop for any care giver, yet when the baby turns one you are going to hand her over to a day care at the tune of $900 per month or is the total for two children in day care???

Maybe your mother had hardships in her early life and is the reason she's all about saving & hanging on to money

Old 02-18-2010, 09:24 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,614,645 times
Think of it a bit differently.....what would it cost you to use someone else?

If you were using any other provider, you would be paying far more than $500/month for a baby.

Also, very few providers offer to include diapers, formula or baby food because it simply isn't worth it in the long run. So you'd definitely still be expected to provide for your own child.

You've got a great deal money-wise right now.
No one should ever be expected to care for their grandchild for free. If they do, that is a blessing and should be appreciated as such.

If money is going to create tension in the family, then it's time to seek out a different provider for your child.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:33 AM

no, i'm putting her in daycare when she turns 1 is because i don't want my mom to be taking care of my baby long term because she has cancer. for god sake, if anytihng happens to my mom, i'd feel guilty!!!!!!!!!!!!

when my baby turns 1, my older one is starting pre-k which is free public school,
but still i have to pay around $350/mth for after school program...
so taht adds up to $1300/mth for childcare...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting