Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 04:23 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,066,170 times

Advertisements

They have many career exploration options in our high school. I hesitate to use "vo-tech" because some of them are in the medical field, some pre-veterinary classes, some education (teaching) options, etc. but most of them are in the traditional "vo-tech" realm. The kids in our high school select their own classes so "tracking" really isn't a concern. Yes, maybe some of these kids that take auto shop could go on to college but you know, the world needs mechanics and around here a good mechanic can make $50+/hour, plumbers and bricklayers even more.

We have some friends who are both college educated and want the same for their kids. Their son is VERY mechanically inclined and can fix ANYTHING and he is only in 8th grade. He wants to become a mechanic, his parents are less than thrilled and keep degrading him because of that. The funny thing is that he will probably make more money his first year as a mechanic then his parents make, combined, now. Poor kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 05:17 AM

66 posts, read 96,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I think it's a great idea precisely because, as others pointed out, not all kids are cut out to be academic. Forcing non academic kids into an intellectual style of education only frustrates them and lowers their self esteem. I think we should return dignity to occupations that are "hands on," craftsmanship oriented or creative, etc.

Not trying to make everyone completely equal -- that's a PC thing and not my style at all. Just saying that we should be able to acknowledge that some people are suited for academia and others are not, and everyone has something useful and important to contribute if they will only apply themselves and work hard. Someone who has the stamina to attend 8 years of higher learning and 6 years of residency to become a surgeon should be lauded for their intellectual ability, but someone who apprentices for a few years to become a carpenter should be respected for their craftsman and creative abilities.

In highschool thus far, we've only rewarded one type of intelligence. That has been disastrous.
Exactly! I hate it when people categorize one's worth based upon the job that he/she performs.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:00 AM

758 posts, read 1,865,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
That I like. I think the ability to combine the votech with an academic track that still prepares one for college can help kids get a better idea of what they wish to major in (or not major in, if they find they don't like it!).

Absolutely! That is the best part of the program. They can see what their chosen career is really like and that helps either cement their decision or gives them time to rethink it before moving on and spending time and money pursuing something that is not really a good fit for them.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:27 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,157,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
Do any of your kids' schools offer these programs for students where they can rotate between classes and work? My high school has what is called "Vo-Tech" where students rotate between classes and taking up trades such as child care, culinary arts,etc. Not sure if anyone else preferred this method of learning verses sitting in school for 8 hours a day. I think it could be a good tool.
I think it's a great tool. Not everyone can or even should go to college. Having practical hands on training while still in high school is priceless.

My DH was in all AP classes in High School. He went on to college and got a science degree. He had a successful career before he decided to leave the professional world in order to learn a skilled trade. Working in an office is not a good fit for everyone and I think it's wise for High Schools to offer alternatives to all students.

I recently read an interesting article about this topic. Below is an excerpt:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/ma...24labor-t.html

Quote:
If the goal is to earn a living, then, maybe it isn’t really true that 18-year-olds need to be imparted with a sense of panic about getting into college (though they certainly need to learn). Some people are hustled off to college, then to the cubicle, against their own inclinations and natural bents, when they would rather be learning to build things or fix things. One shop teacher suggested to me that “in schools, we create artificial learning environments for our children that they know to be contrived and undeserving of their full attention and engagement. Without the opportunity to learn through the hands, the world remains abstract and distant, and the passions for learning will not be engaged.”

Old 02-23-2010, 11:14 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,871,226 times
One shop teacher suggested to me that “in schools, we create artificial learning environments for our children that they know to be contrived and undeserving of their full attention and engagement. Without the opportunity to learn through the hands, the world remains abstract and distant, and the passions for learning will not be engaged.”

Brilliant! I agree with this totally and just looking back on my own highschool years, it rings true.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:05 PM

496 posts, read 1,689,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
One shop teacher suggested to me that “in schools, we create artificial learning environments for our children that they know to be contrived and undeserving of their full attention and engagement. Without the opportunity to learn through the hands, the world remains abstract and distant, and the passions for learning will not be engaged.”

Brilliant! I agree with this totally and just looking back on my own highschool years, it rings true.
I totally agree! I wish I had gotten some hands on experience when I was in high school!

Old 02-23-2010, 10:53 PM

37,032 posts, read 41,953,569 times
Unfortunately many districts have had to cut this type of thing from the curriculum because of budget restraints and stick to "teaching the test" in order to meet their goals.

Our district offers ROP (Regional Occupational Programs) that kids who are juniors and seniors from all the schools in the region can take advantage of if they like. Sometimes the classes are at one of the school sites but more commonly they are at local shops or businesses. When I was a senior in high school I left my campus at lunch and went to a campus in the next city over to take a Legal Secretary course. One of my daughters friends took cosmetology her junior and senior year and it was always the last two periods of the day, and she was responsible for getting herself the cosmetology school. My daughter took one her senior year that had her working at the studio of the local television station creating original programming and was also responsible for getting herself there. No transportation is provided and there is only 20 minutes or so to get from your school to the site so it's somewhat limiting. I know there are some computer courses, business courses, health care courses and a couple of auto mechanic courses.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:15 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,835,741 times
I went to a vocational school after two different high schools dropped the computer networking courses in succession of each other. I went for auto mechanics. Finished top 10% of my High school class and 1st in my votech class with a 1410 on my SAT, could have gone to any college I wanted. I was DONE with school, boring waste of my time. Aside from my vocational teacher having a vendetta against me because I refused to assimilate and fall in line to his overbearing ways, it was a really good experience.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:26 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,590,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
Do any of your kids' schools offer these programs for students where they can rotate between classes and work? My high school has what is called "Vo-Tech" where students rotate between classes and taking up trades such as child care, culinary arts,etc. Not sure if anyone else preferred this method of learning verses sitting in school for 8 hours a day. I think it could be a good tool.
Where I live, the vo-tech route is filled with students who have difficulty in school for a variety of reasons.

These are not college bound students. (Vo tech schools were created for a reason.)

This is not a desirable direction to send a teenager that has the potential to go to college---at least in my district.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:41 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,273,158 times
I like the vocation option. My eldest son did it, but so far I am waiting to see the pay off in his life. I am encouraging my youngest son to go this route too. I think he will do better with the training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting