Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 01:06 PM

6 posts, read 7,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Your records are your records when you turn 18. Parents can no longer access them. You can have them transferred and your parents can not get any information as to where. Just make sure you have the school to put NO ACCESS in case they have sympathy for the parent.

[URL="http://youngadults.about.com/od/collegeprep/tp/Turning18.htm"]Turning 18 - Everything You Need to Know When Your Child Turns 18[/URL]

This might help.

Hey sorry I have a limit on here or something. But I can just show them ID can't I?

Email me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 01:08 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,679,685 times
To transfer records all that is needed is a transfer form. Ask in the office for a records transfer. It's pretty simple; write your name, what school you want them transferred to and the address. Sign it and that should be it.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:12 PM

6 posts, read 7,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
To transfer records all that is needed is a transfer form. Ask in the office for a records transfer. It's pretty simple; write your name, what school you want them transferred to and the address. Sign it and that should be it.
Okay, well I do have more questions, but email me okay? Its on my profile.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:26 PM

Done. You should have it right about now...

Old 02-23-2010, 03:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,755,385 times
When I was researching Florida law earlier about the privacy question, I noticed that records are requested by the school district where the student is transferring.

In other words, you might need to enroll in the new school, then the new school will request for your records from your current school.

Quote:
Copies of records of students withdrawing or enrolling in other public
schools in the district or transferring to another school within this state or
out of this state shall be transferred to the enrolling schools upon request
from the receiving principal. The transfer of student records shall not be
delayed for nonpayment of a fee or fine assessed by the school.
Here's the document where I accidently stumbled upon that Florida statute:

https://www.ocps.net/sb/Superintende...2011_17_08.pdf

Old 02-23-2010, 03:37 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,916,948 times
We were a military family, with lots of military families that are friends. This means we all move around a lot. It's rare now that a school will just allow you to "check out" your school records. Most require that a new school call for them. It's even more rare for a new school to just accept a hand carried record - they already have procedures in place to request them.

The biggest difficulty this young person may have is in finding a regular/mainstream high school that will accept her. If she is living on her own, they may view her as an adult - and suggest an alternative adult education center rather than allow them to register at a normal/typical high school.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
We were a military family, with lots of military families that are friends. This means we all move around a lot. It's rare now that a school will just allow you to "check out" your school records. Most require that a new school call for them. It's even more rare for a new school to just accept a hand carried record - they already have procedures in place to request them.
That's what I thought. And the link I found seems to indicate that's the case in Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
The biggest difficulty this young person may have is in finding a regular/mainstream high school that will accept her. If she is living on her own, they may view her as an adult - and suggest an alternative adult education center rather than allow them to register at a normal/typical high school.
I've been wondering about that too. When the OP started this thread, I assumed he/she already had things set up with the new school district. We'll need to search Florida law to see if there is anything that will prevent this student from enrolling in another public school as "eligible student." I would think that he/she has a right to complete high school the normal route since he/she is not a drop out. But I'll see what I can find.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:12 PM

It's taking some time to look through the code.

I just wanted to mention that the OP is protected by federal law if he/she has an IEP or a 504.

School districts are required to provide education to those students until they are 21.

Just in case the OP doesn't have an IEP or a 504, I'll continue checking Florida law.

In the meantime, he/she could simply call the school district he wants to attend and find out what they say.

If they admit him without issue, there's no reason to do any research on the matter. If they give him a problem, we can do more research.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:53 PM

I'm sure the school won't just hand over the records, but I have transferred records by just signing a paper and filling out the school the records are to be transferred to. The other way around works too.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:51 AM

917 posts, read 2,941,021 times
It sounds like you don't want your parents to be able to find you by using school records. If something is wrong at home, talk to your guidance counselor or someone that you trust. There may be a different procedure involved, especially because you want to make sure somebody doesn't accidentally give them out. A school secretary may not think twice if your mother calls requesting your academic file (which would probably have your transfer info in it), but if there's a note about why you don't want her to have it, the secretary won't give it out. Otherwise, she might not think giving out the academic record is a problem. There's the legal requirement and then there's what people actually do- it's better to be safe than sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting