Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:20 PM

6 posts, read 7,297 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm 18 living in florida. Like most stories I want to move out because I can't stand things at home. I know I have a right to move out without there notice but here is my question. I know when you turn 18 your school files are yours. Not your parents anymore. But if the school your register for calls for your files and they are transfered can the parents find out where they went?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 12:28 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,693,801 times
Well, you are kind of right.... when you reach 18 you are an adult...but many courts feel you are not an adult until you are OUT of high school.

But that's a good thing as parents can't kick their kids to the curb just because they turn 18...that would be horrible!

Old 02-23-2010, 12:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times
While VegasGrace is right that SOME states dont' view 18 year olds as adults until after they graduate, that's not the case in Florida.

Florida's law clearly defines age of majority as 18.

I recommend talking to your guidance counselor and principal about your concerns for privacy.

If they are made aware that you want your information kept confidential, they most certainly should do everything possible to keep it confidential.

I highly recommend notifying the school district in writing. Schools take things more seriously when put in writing.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
While VegasGrace is right that SOME states dont' view 18 year olds as adults until after they graduate, that's not the case in Florida.

Florida's law clearly defines age of majority as 18.

I recommend talking to your guidance counselor and principal about your concerns for privacy.

If they are made aware that you want your information kept confidential, they most certainly should do everything possible to keep it confidential.

I highly recommend notifying the school district in writing. Schools take things more seriously when put in writing.

Okay, so i can put in writing that when my school files are transfered over to the new school that I want no one to know where there are being transfer right? Do I have the right to do that?

Old 02-23-2010, 01:01 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,673,551 times
Your records are your records when you turn 18. Parents can no longer access them. You can have them transferred and your parents can not get any information as to where. Just make sure you have the school to put NO ACCESS in case they have sympathy for the parent.

Turning 18 - Everything You Need to Know When Your Child Turns 18

This might help.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:02 PM

Thank you very much. I don't exactly know where to look all my rights up, so if you have any information or sites I can view, please list. Thank you again.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhite1991 View Post
Okay, so i can put in writing that when my school files are transfered over to the new school that I want no one to know where there are being transfer right? Do I have the right to do that?
You do have that right for your personal information to not be disclosed to anyone. It's wise to make them aware of your wishes since it might not occur to them otherwise. That's why I recommend also giving them a letter. It well let them know how serious you are about this.

Make a copy of the letter and ask them (guidance counselor, secretary, whoever you give the letter to) to sign and date that they received the original.

Keep the signed receipt copy for your records. You will probably never need to use it. The mere act of having them sign that they received notification in writing usually causes school districts to do the right thing. Otherwise, you could sue them. And that's why you need to retain a copy that has a been signed and dated by a school district employee proving the school district received it.

Don't feel uncomfortable asking this of them. They're used to it. Simply hand the original letter and the copy to them and ask them to sign and date your copy verifying that the origional was received. Make sure your copy has the person's name is printed, the person's signature, and the date signed. If they don't do all three things, nicely say "could you add the date also, please." If you feel uncomfortable doing this with a secretary or a principal, ask the guidance counselor to help you.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhite1991 View Post
Thank you very much. I don't exactly know where to look all my rights up, so if you have any information or sites I can view, please list. Thank you again.
A federal law that protects you. Federal laws override any state or local laws.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

But you need to notify the school because the school might fail to notice that you have turned 18.

Notifying them in writing and asking NO ACCESS (as No Excuses suggested) are ways to prevent an error from happening.

Just mention the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act if anyone gives you a hard time.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:36 PM

You're referrred to as an "eligible student' under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) | Higher Education Center for Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse and Violence Prevention

Here's the actual wording of the law:

Quote:
(Authority: 20 U.S.C. 1232g(a)(4))

Eligible student means a student who has reached 18 years of age or
is attending an institution of postsecondary education.
You can read the actual law here: Family Educational Rights And Privacy Act FERPA

Old 02-23-2010, 01:41 PM

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting