Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:38 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,000,566 times

Advertisements

Get rid of the pull ups, those things are awful. They prolong the issue.

Purchase an extra waterproof matress cover, layer the bed: waterproof cover, sheet, waterproof cover, sheet....
(but don't let her know about it)
at least it won't be as annoying to have to change in the middle of the night, should she wake herself up after wetting the bed.

Some kids sleep heavier than others. I would go with the underwear not pull ups, keep the liquids out of the equation after 6.30 like you are already doing, make sure the last thing she does before going to bed is use the potty, let her sleep, and see how that goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 10:54 AM

705 posts, read 1,757,647 times
You are getting conflicting advice here, so I would talk to her doctor. Is there a history of bedwetting in your family? Slow to develop nighttime control tends to be hereditary. I only have personal experience with boys, but my doc was not worried at all.....he said that it is a parent's problem, not in kids control, some kids mature physiologically slower than others.

His opinion of pullups is that they are great because they cause less problems/embarrasment for the child - he was a bedwetter till the age of 13, so his personal experience I'm sure colored his responses. However, as a physician with personal experience of the issue, I also trust that he researched the problem pretty thouroughly to form a professional opinion.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:20 PM

1,689 posts, read 4,294,899 times
You are getting good advice.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:40 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,269,049 times
I have a 16 month old girl who was interested in the potty at 10 months and we went with it. She goes about once or twice a day on it and forgets about it when she is busy. I've noticed though that if I ask her alot of she needs to go she keeps saying no and doesn't use the potty at all. If I keep quiet and just let her see the potty, she will go over to it and sit and then I say "do you need to go" ....head shake "YES!" and she does. we praise and laugh and call grandma and move on. I don't expect her to have it down for a while...

my point is ....maybe you are trying to hard??? you couldn't pay me to wake a sleeping child at night. for one, I wanna sleep, she needs the sleep and thats stressful. ....back off a little maybe and realize its just a phase in the grand scheme of things. ....the minute you relax, she will take it upon herself to learn. maybe even tell her lovingly "it is your job to go to the potty when you need too day and night" and leave it alone. She might surprise you. my young 16 month old daughter is one of strong will and brains so she wants to learn on her own most of the time. even at my daughters young age SHE LOVES having little responsibilities(putting clothes in and out of the basket, washing windows with me(more like finger painting windows with me), and on) . .... maybe your daughter is the same way?

Old 02-28-2010, 05:53 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,226,890 times
If she is almost 5 and still wetting the bed it is time for a dr visit to make sure everything is ok.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:04 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,771,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Unless your dd has a medical condition, it is NOT normal to continue to wear a diaper (pull-ups are just another form of diaper) to bed past the age of three.
Not true at all. Have you seen the sizes they come in? My pediatrician says for boys, age 5-6 is normal for bedtime accidents to still occur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felicitev21 View Post
Well, she has been "daytime trained" for awhile now, over a year. Yes, we have a plastic bed cover and she wears regular underwear to bed. Usually when she wets her bed, she will just sleep in it the whole night unless I come in and make her get up, change herself, etc. She will be 5 at the end of March. So should I just try letting her sleep in her wet bed a few nights to see if she eventually gets up herself? Oh yes, and I don't give her liquids after 630. usually she goes to bed around 8. And if that does not work should I just go back to pull-ups? I have been trying to train her for a couple months now, and I really don't want her to regress.
I would cut out the liquids even earlier, and make sure she goes to the bathroom just before bed. My 5yo daughter loves to say she doesn't have to go at bedtime, but when I tell her she has to at least try, she's always able to. She's been dry for a long time, but we started this with both our kids--and it took my son over a year longer to stay dry than it did my daughter.
Good luck!

Old 03-01-2010, 03:54 AM

1,689 posts, read 4,294,899 times
Been thinking about this since I found out she will be 5 soon. Until you seek professional advice perhaps put the pull-ups back on at night. It may make her feel more secure and save on the sheets and embarrassment, reduce the stress. It is not a step backward if she feels more secure.
And the suggestion about having clear access to the bathroom at night etc..
You've tried it for a couple months and if she is not ready...
The child should not feel it is a failure that she is not ready.
Know you're a good mom.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:58 AM

382 posts, read 1,354,518 times
Have you cut out liquids an hour or so before bedtime? Do you have her go pee just before bed? Don't wake her up at night, if she pees her pants, she pees her pants and you take care of it in the morning or right then. I also hope you don't scold her or make a big deal out of it. I agree with getting rid of the pull-ups. If she's use to having the wetness in a single spot at night (instead of all over her), she won't know any better. I think letting her wake up wet will help her realize that she needs to get up and go pee then, instead of it being safely "contained".

Best of luck!

Old 03-01-2010, 12:37 PM

821 posts, read 2,036,212 times
Yes I agree with KH02 I would not wake her to use the potty in the middle of the night that is very strange.. .

I have a 3 year old who was day time potty trained for a couple of months I was the one afraid to let me sleep without a diaper in fear that he would go on his bed...
But one day I didnt give him any thing to drink right before going to sleep then told his to go potty he said he didnt have to go I told him to just try and of course he did do a little tinkle and I put him to bed... Now I've been doing this same pattern for weeks and he has not had one accident during the night..

Old 03-01-2010, 01:52 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,892,222 times
Talk to your doctor. My pediatrician told me it is a matter of ADH regulation, which normally is cyclic to keep you from needing to urinate frequently at night, but in some kids remains more level through the 24 hour day. She also said, at puberty, hormonal changes almost always eliminate the problem, if it has not been eliminated before then.

I have found the MALEM alarm (or anything similar that involves the moisture sensor clipped to the underwear so it sounds immediately, NOT a mat on the bed that can be a delayed alarm) to work well. For kids for which it works, what it does is it trains them to wake up just as they are peeing, and then eventually they wake up just as they need to pee and make it to the bathroom and stay dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting