Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 07:57 PM

294 posts, read 1,104,966 times

Advertisements

My daughter has been fully potty trained for awhile. Now I am trying to get her out of pull ups during the night time. Any advice or suggestions? Usually I just get up every few hours and put her on the toilet. But this does not really get her to learn to wake up and pee on the toilet herself. Maybe an alarm clock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 09:32 PM

758 posts, read 1,867,438 times
If you have to get up every few hours then she may not be ready. Once, maybe twice per night should be all that they need to get up and go. Give it some more time and maybe cut back on the night time fluids.

As for how do they learn to get up and go? Exactly what you have done. It takes a while though. I didn't trust mine to go on their own, for maybe 4 months after we started night time training. They went to bed around 8 and when I went to bed at 11:30 I would take them to the potty, then when their father woke up at 4AM he would take them again. After 2 months or so we cut out the 4AM potty and then 2-3 months later we stopped taking them all together and if they had to get up and go then they would.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:55 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,915,683 times
"Fully potty trained" includes overnights. She is "daytime trained". As long as she is wearing the diaper to bed, her body will have subconcious permission to pee in it.

Put a plastic cover over the matress and buy her some regular underwear. Let her know that if she pees in them in the bed, she needs to get up, finish in the bathroom, change her bottom half (leave out a change in the bathroom) and sleep on a mat or the floor for the rest of the night. In the morning, if she's had an accident, wash the sheets, wipe off the plastic and lysol it, then set up again. Or, have her wake you to help her, if she's under 3.

Unless your dd has a medical condition, it is NOT normal to continue to wear a diaper (pull-ups are just another form of diaper) to bed past the age of three. It is possible to actually have her "fully trained" before the age of two, but Pull ups prolong this event.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:06 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,735,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Unless your dd has a medical condition, it is NOT normal to continue to wear a diaper (pull-ups are just another form of diaper) to bed past the age of three. It is possible to actually have her "fully trained" before the age of two, but Pull ups prolong this event.
I disagree some kids will wet the bed past that age. When I was a foster mom I was told that until 6yo it is not considered a problem.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:54 PM

1,689 posts, read 4,289,347 times
How old is she?
Do not train her to wake up to pee.
People try to toilet train too early.
Girls> age 2 to 4
Boys > age 2 1/2 to 4
and anything earlier or after that is not that uncomman. It is people are use to the "I had em toilet trained at 1" like it's some kind of contest for the parents.
Normal has nothing to do with toilet training; it is if the child is ready or not. Once people realize they started too early they should adjust for the childs sake. If she is still having wet diapers during the night the indication is she is not ready.
The stress and unintentional consequences result in anal retentive adults.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:58 AM

2,855 posts, read 10,400,299 times
If your child has to go during the night at all they are not potty trained or ready.

When potty training mine, we simply cut-off all fluids (drinks) after 6pm. Then they have to pee right before they go to bed.
They always made it until morning that way.

I wouldn't wake her up to pee...that's strange. I've never heard of such a thing.
She shouldn't need to go at all through the night. If she does, then she's not ready to be fully trained. One sign of being ready to train is waking every morning with a dry diaper...

Good Luck!

Old 02-28-2010, 05:30 AM

61 posts, read 174,436 times
In my experience, it is not really possible to night train a child. They will do it when their bladder is ready. I would never wake a child to go to the bathroom at night. If you wait it out, it will happen. Some kids need pull-ups until 6 or 7, some are night trained by 2.5. It all depends, and it has nothing to do with the kid being bad or not wanting to do it. It is completely beyond his control.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:05 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,899,955 times
Do not wake her to go to the bathroom. Think about what would happen if someone woke you to go to the bathroom once or twice a night... After a couple of weeks of that, you wouldn't be able to go all night without peeing.

Before the age of pull-ups, kids ended up night-time dry the old fashioned way - a plastic cover for the mattress and several extra loads of laundry. A wet bed is no fun. I'm not sure that I advocate making her miserable about the whole thing yet and think she is probably too young for changing her sheets, but I do think that a few wet bed nights are motivating to either get up and go on your own, or sleep through.

By the way, you need to do everything you can to give her "permission" to get up on her own. Night light, safe clutter-free path to the bathroom, light on in the bathroom... She may be waking just before she pees, but not confident in her ability to go potty all by herself.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:57 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,770,020 times
Put her in pullups until she has a number of consecutive dry nights. My children rarely get up at night to use the bathroom and after we had weeks of dry pullups we took them off and nature took over - they get up when they have to.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:21 AM

294 posts, read 1,104,966 times
Well, she has been "daytime trained" for awhile now, over a year. Yes, we have a plastic bed cover and she wears regular underwear to bed. Usually when she wets her bed, she will just sleep in it the whole night unless I come in and make her get up, change herself, etc. She will be 5 at the end of March. So should I just try letting her sleep in her wet bed a few nights to see if she eventually gets up herself? Oh yes, and I don't give her liquids after 630. usually she goes to bed around 8. And if that does not work should I just go back to pull-ups? I have been trying to train her for a couple months now, and I really don't want her to regress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting