Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 03:13 PM

446 posts, read 828,299 times

Advertisements

(That should be GRADUATES, not graduated! LOL) Cant edit the title!!

I need to know what is required of me at this time. We'll have family coming in for the weekend and most of it will be my ex husband's family. I know I don't have to cater to them, but he and I are still close and do ALL the parenting together. We discuss everything--school, friends, health, etc.

The graduation is a couple hours away from here and I will be getting a hotel room for the weekend and assume everyone else will as well. I just need to know what to do for my son. He got a double major accomplished in four years and has almost a perfect 4.0 GPA. He is majoring in Business and Music (Cello Performance major)....pretty amazing if ya ask me.

So, what should I do for him over the weekend? I want to make it as memorable and special as I can, but I've never had a kid graduate from college. He's my first and I've got 2 more to go behind him, so I'd like to learn well from this one!

Just help...btw, how do I keep from sobbing? He's going to walk twice...from both the school of music and school of business. Double the tears! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 03:17 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,365,046 times
I think all you have to do is play the part of proud mama....If you and your ex want to host a dinner in his honor since so much family will be on hand that would be nice too. Or a brunch...whatever works...Congratulations to you all.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:46 PM

37,056 posts, read 42,020,339 times
Ohhh, just like me!

I'll be going up to spend the night at a motel the night before because the ceremony is early in the morning and it's a good 3 hour drive from my house. I'm not even sure if my husband is coming with me (we are married but not in a good way..lol) and he hasn't asked me or our daughter about the details so I'm pretty sure he didn't get a room She is my first to graduate college too and she told me that after the ceremony we are to go out to eat, probably with her bf's family because the two of them want it that way. I'm just going along for the ride, taking pictures and being all proud! I have also heard of a traditional "before graduation event" held in the early morning hours at a popular bar in town, where parents gather for breakfast and see where the kids have been hanging out for the last several years, so that could be interesting too...haha.

I don't know what will happen after that but I'll be going home. She will have another couple of weeks on her lease so she can pack up, get rid of stuff, and figure out if she is going to move back here or go somewhere else with friends or for a job. It's all up in the air at this point.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:27 PM

13,976 posts, read 25,850,746 times
A dinner out would be nice. Just make sure to think ahead regarding reservations. When my son graduated last year, his first two choices for restaurants were completely booked(everyone goes out to eat afterwards!). He graduated 1000 miles from home, so we didn't ask or expect any family to attend. He brought a special friend to dinner with him, otherwise it was just the immediate family.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:56 AM

904 posts, read 2,866,155 times
I agree with a nice dinner out afterwards. Invite the whole family but make it clear it is "dutch". Offer to make the reservations and confer with your ex on where. I would buy your son a nice gift that her can use during his career. Perhaps a nice leather briefcase?

BTW...Congratulations! I am about a year away from my oldest graduating from college. Can't wait to have 1 down!

Old 03-02-2010, 08:15 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,677,850 times
High school graduations are the big party; college graduations are not. As everyone has said, dinner at a nice restaurant and a gift from mom and dad is about all that happens.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:37 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,499,159 times
I've had only one walk. For us, it was dinner out and then he went to a graduation party after.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:37 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,449,230 times
I had quite a few friends that had college graduation parties, so I don't think that would be out of line.

When I graduated a few years ago, it was just my immediate family and we went out to dinner. My parents each gave me a very nice gift, as did my brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting