Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:06 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,963,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It may not be a big deal to you but what about to the children? What if it's a big deal to them? I can name several for whom it is a big deal. They would prefer not to have grown up mixed race. I have a student right now who, sarcastically, refers to himself as a "Halfbreed". Kids shouldn't be put in that position.

I hope my children do find someone whow ill treat them well and if that relationship comes with hardships for future children, I hope they have the sense to not have kids or adopt.

LOL I know people who would prefer to have straight hair, but they got curly. I personally would prefer to have a maid, but alas, I have to scrub my own toilets. I'm sure my kids would prefer to never have to eat vegetables, and when my daughter was younger, she was soooo upset to have wavy red hair, when her best friend (who, by the way, is biracial!) had curly black hair. She actually cried to the hairdresser that she wanted to leave with black curls.

And what about adoption? Aren't many children available for adoption biracial? What should become of them?

Old 03-04-2010, 06:10 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,854,771 times
I know some people are worried about how mixed-race children are accepted, because on state forums here I often see people post along the lines of, "looking for a diverse town because we are a bi-racial couple with children". Just pointing out that it might be an issue for children in some low-tolerant areas. Sadly, there are plenty of racist people still around in the U.S.

For me, I would be more concerned about the morals, intelligence, and general personality of anyone my children brought home. Sexual orientation or skin color would not be at the top of my list of concerns. If I had any concerns at all about skin color or sexual orientation, it would be for my children, and how others might treat them.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:45 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,260,375 times
Quote:
I'd prefer both. If their partner were black and gay, I wouldn't have to worry about my grandchildren dealing with being bi-racial.

I'm fine with my kids doing what they want as long as they're smart enough not to make their children suffer for their decisions. I have a bi-racial young man in my class who, sarcastically, refers to himself as a halfbreed. It's sad to watch.
whoa there! I find this post offensive. bi-racial is not a huge issue these days. A good amount of kids in school are bi-racial and it might be the norm one day.
I have a bi-racial adopted brother who is just precious to my parents as any of their white children. My parents have raised him to be proud of who he is and realize that color is nothings ....its the inside that counts. I'm gonna still say that people should be judge on morals, values and personality and forget about the color.

p.s. bi-racial kids,people, children are some of the most beautiful people I've seen.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:34 AM

426 posts, read 789,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiana View Post
In all seriousness, this is not an attempt at trolling.

I ask because some of my friends (white) have confessed that they could never bring someone black home to mom and dad, and one even said his father told him he'd rather have a gay son than have a son dating a black girl!

How do you honestly feel on the matter?
It's sad that this still happens today. A person is a person regardless of the color of their skin. As long as my child were happy, that's all that would matter to me.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:40 AM

992 posts, read 2,367,082 times
Be careful of what you hate...race, sexual orientation, etc.

I know someone who doesn't approve of homosexuality or interracial dating. Guess what her son brought home for Christmas? His black boyfriend.

I laughed and laughed and laughed...

I say, no matter what...if someone is happy and they don't hurt others, who am I to give a horse's butt? It's not my business.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:41 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,679,685 times
Quote:
I'm glad that's the case for your daughter. As I said, I can name several people who don't feel that way.
It isn't only my daughter. I have 5 other family members, all young teens (14, 15, 15 and 17); 4 are black/white and one is hispanic/white (She's 5). They are ALL well adjusted and happy kids (The 5 year old thinks she's a princess). They are all in Michigan. They all have many friends and are loved by everyone on our family.
Quote:
.. My children being burdened with being bi-racial because of that choice is.

... I find it sad one of my students refers to himself as a halfbreed. Obviously, you're ok with that. I'm not. ADDED BY NoEx:(So what do you do to change your and his perception???) It would break my heart to hear one of my kids call himself a halfbreed and I would feel bad for being the one who chose that for him. Maybe I shouldn't but I would.

There are many people who feel the way I describe. It's simply not PC to voice the opinion. FTR, I have no issue with anyone of any race or sexual preference. I just think couples should think about what they are choosing for their children when they choose to have them. If you are going to have them anyway, then make sure you live somewhere where it's not going to be an issue for them. There are places where it would be difficult and lonely to be bi-racial and there are places where they'd find plenty of peers like them.
Ok, I have never heard anyone who is biracial even suggesting they are burdened by it.

Anyone who knows me, knows that PC is not something I play into. I don't give a crap about PC. My opinion NEVER takes PC into consideration.

I think you have HUGE issue with bi-racial people and gay people. I think when you stated: "If you are going to have them anyway, then make sure you live somewhere where it's not going to be an issue for them.", what you MEANT to say was: If you are going to have them anyway, then make sure you live somewhere other than near me.

My daughter and her cousins are beautiful, happy kids. They have no identy problems; they all know they are wonderful, intelligent, active, beautiful kids.

Of all the bi-racial kids I have known over the years, I have never known any who have any kind of insecurity or bad feeling about who they are.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:51 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,376,368 times
I have to say I think most kids today don't think a thing about interracial dating/marriage and biracial kids. Maybe it is different in other areas...idk...We live in what is considered a fairly homogenous part of our city - many comments about being "white bread" yada yada - I know a number of interracial couples and biracial kids and as far as I know it's not an issue. Do kids make comments about themselves and each other? Sure - but as far as I have observed it's not done in a hateful or demeaning way...and it happens across all races...I think they are just more honest and comfortable with things than we were and less concerned with PC....I hope so anyway.

My hope for my kids is they find someone who loves them and supports their hopes and dreams, treats them well and has a belief system that compliments their own and gives them joy. After that, it's all gravy.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:31 AM

677 posts, read 1,616,589 times
For the life of me, I cannot figure out how this is still an issue in today's society. People are people. The idea of categorizing ourselves and choosing whether or not to want to interact with someone based on their skin color or sexual orientation alone seems absolutely archaic to me. When I look around I see human beings - people who are of the same species, who have more-or-less the same basic frame with lots of great details that make us all a bit different. Because we are just that - different than the person standing next to us. Every person of one race is NOT the same, and by grouping them all into categories and attaching social stigmas to each, we are forcing each and every person into a stereotype that s/he may not fit. And who cares whether or not a person is homosexual? Until they start coming to your doorstep and preaching about how you should come to their side and start being homosexual with them...what are they doing to bother anyone? Why is this even an issue?

To judge any one group of people is absolutely ridiculous. We are part of a species, who I would think would by now be intelligent enough to realize that basing prejudices on people based on skin color, sexual orientation, income level, ethnicity, etc...is pure stupidity! We should be standing together as a people, not pulling each other apart with these ridiculous labels and foundation-less judgments. Especially when it comes to children. What kind of message does that send?

"Well, Suzy, it's OK for you to date Tommy because he looks like us. But it's not OK to date Chris because he looks different than us."

"Jacob, it's OK for you to date Sandy because she's a girl. But you aren't allowed to date a man because...because...it's...bad? Yep. Very bad."

Seriously, what are the reasons that people would be against this? I would absolutely love to hear what people have to say because I feel like I just cannot relate to any arguments against gay/biracial relationships. I've heard the grandchildren argument from parents of homosexual couples - although there is always the option of adoption or if it's a lesbian couple, Artificial Insemination. I just don't understand.

It's 2010 and people are waking up. We're realizing that we no longer have to conform to society's stereotypes. We can branch out, try new things, live in a way that is free for us. What's wrong with someone wanting to do something that's different? Why not celebrate each others differences instead of condemning each other for them?

So I guess that what I'm trying to say is that, no, I would not have a single problem with any of my future children being in a relationship with someone of the same sex or a different race.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,755,385 times
I am shocked and saddened that this thread even exists.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:39 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,024,340 times
I have friends who call themselves the "United Family of Benetton" because they represent a spectacular blend of cultures, colors, religious beliefs, and sexual orientations. I think they're pretty wonderful, and I'd be thrilled if my family turns out the same way as my children grow up and find their life partners!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.