Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:41 PM

853 posts, read 4,024,140 times

Advertisements

Maybe if the schools stopped giving my kids HOURS of homework, and let them have more than 10 minutes of recess, weight control would be easier! (maybe they should get the BMI reports,,,,,lol!)

One of my sons dropped out of karate in the second grade because he could not handle the homework when he went to karate. He's now in fifth grade, and because I took him to the YMCA after school, he had to do homework until 9pm. As a side note, the YMCA has vending machines with junk food..it's tough!

Last edited by Reneeme; 03-04-2010 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: added something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 10:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,764,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
You ARE joking, right?

If things keep going the way they are, all we as parents will be used for is the actual production of children and following what the government wants us to do with them once they're here.
That's quite a slippery slope you're on there.

Pennsylvania has been mandating dental screenings since 1945. That's 65 years, and Pennsylvanians haven't turned into mere baby producers.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme View Post
Maybe if the schools stopped giving my kids HOURS of homework, and let them have more than 10 minutes of recess, weight control would be easier! (maybe they should get the BMI reports,,,,,lol!)
My biggest gripe is shortening recess and allowing students to chose unhealthy ala cart options in the cafeteria.

How do they expect parents to help their children have a healthy weight if they are allowing them to eat cheese french fries every day at school?

Schools should focus on the unhealthy atmosphere at school before they start sending notes home to parents.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:36 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,610,333 times
The state seems to thnik it is the parent except when it comes to actaully riaisng the child.Makes me wander if this schoo districl has a PE period for all kids too.I have nothing against them sending the letter that says he has a weight problme tho. One reason to have school nurses.The nurse often gave a dental report when I was going to schoo lin the mid 50 thru 60's.We even had such things as general checks during the first classes of PE for the year. You know;listenig to heart;blood pressure ;eye examine, hearing test etc.With what we know about heart problems caused by dnetal health problems that can't be ignored. If anyhtig we had no where near the obestity problems when I was a kid;in fact it was rare.Also the school didn't serve coffee even for the teahcers;tea and certain no soft frinks or chips even in vending machines.It was milk;water or lemon aid.It was meat. two vegables and a fruit dessert and you paid for it or brought your own lunch.I can se both sides really. the parents want the schools to feed their kids breakfast and lunch and then gripe because they gave them more and more control over raisig their kids. They gripe if they have to meet with the teacher twice a year. Many want a babysiitter I am afraid.

Last edited by texdav; 03-04-2010 at 11:01 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 08:52 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,165,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
What are the "pros" of government regulating kids weight and, by extension, the parenting they get? What are the positives which flow from that?
Well, if the dems ram government-run single payor health care down our throats and my taxes go up, they better damn well make sure everyone is super-fit, not smoking, not drinking/using drugs...I expect them to be in people's houses counting the damn twinkies.
You can't have it both ways. If I pay for you, I get to direct your life.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:59 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,680,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My biggest gripe is shortening recess and allowing students to chose unhealthy ala cart options in the cafeteria.

How do they expect parents to help their children have a healthy weight if they are allowing them to eat cheese french fries every day at school?

Schools should focus on the unhealthy atmosphere at school before they start sending notes home to parents.
No slippery slopes here...

So schools fill kids up with junk for food then measure their fat? What are they doing, getting them ready for slaughter?

Old 03-05-2010, 09:15 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,856,148 times
Quote:

Some states have already taken steps to reduce the amount of junk food in schools. In Ct., there is a ban of soda and sugary drinks in the schools. And a lot of Ct. towns have implemented what is called a "healthy food initiative", limiting or replacing foods like french fries with healthier alternatives. It's a pity more states across the country aren't doing this. As you say, it makes more sense than feeding kids junk foods then measuring their BMI.

Press Release from State Senator Gary LeBeau

The new districts, with a combined enrollment of more than 46,800 students, join 98 other school districts across Connecticut in adopting healthy standards for the food they serve students. A total of 117 school districts from across Connecticut are participating in HFC.

Nutrition standards include limits on the amount of sugars, sodium, and fat allowed in food items. Portion size is also limited, and schools are encouraged to serve fresh fruit and vegetables and entrees that contain high fiber and whole grains. In Manchester, school officials have replaced unhealthy foods such as French fries with items like wraps and salads.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
So schools fill kids up with junk for food then measure their fat? What are they doing, getting them ready for slaughter?
LMAO! Thanks for the laugh!

Old 03-05-2010, 09:55 AM

992 posts, read 2,367,309 times
Quote:

I agree!

Our kids only have one recess here in Tx (I love it here and love our schools) but when we were in WY (where the climate is more extreme) they had 3 recesses. Our kids loved the 3 recesses. We try to make time every day for the kids to be outside...but the homework load can be excessive sometimes! If you have kids in activities it's even harder!

I was kind of upset that our kids (in elementary school) can get items from the snack bar, i.e pizza, ice cream. That's why our kids take their lunches...they can buy sometimes, but I like to know exactly what they are eating.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:52 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,680,223 times
Wow, kids here get 30 minutes total for lunch and recess. If they eat slowly, they don't go outside at all. No other recess is had by any grade, not even all day kindergarten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting