Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 03:11 PM

831 posts, read 1,578,142 times

Advertisements

I don't have a problem with schools wanting to do something about so many obese kids. What they need to do is serve a healthy breakfast and lunch everyday. I also wouldn't have a problem if kids did an exersice video everyday. I see the kids out side at recess. There are groups of girls sitting in the grass talking and playing hand games, not much movement. But that is as far as they need to go with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 05:10 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,787,932 times
I was deleted once from a thread similar to this. So, I'll choose my words wisely.

Some parents are raising obese children...fact. You get upset when "Big Brother" step in and say, hell your kid is fat. Why, wait you live with this kid. Something need to be done with these obese children. Back in the day they were chubby or baby fat. Now, just obese. Here's an idea: Unplug the tv and Wii. Take the gameboy and cell. Take your children for a walk or bike ride. Then, you won' have school sending home anything about healthy choices for your children. More apples and less chips in the home.

My child can't, because he has too much homework. American children need homework and year round schooling.

Last edited by Childfree35; 03-08-2010 at 06:05 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 05:13 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,787,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
No slippery slopes here...

So schools fill kids up with junk for food then measure their fat? What are they doing, getting them ready for slaughter?
Absolute Comedy!!!!!!! LMAO!!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:42 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,594,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My biggest gripe is shortening recess and allowing students to chose unhealthy ala cart options in the cafeteria.
Not picking on you specifically here, just using this comment as a mathmatical reference point.

Kids here are in school 180 days, so if they never missed school and always bought lunch there, that's 180 meals they are eating at school.
If they eat 3 meals a day, then they are eating a total of 1095 meals a year. 180 out of 1095 is a little over 16% of their yearly intake.

That means that they are getting 915 meals (and most all snacks) under the supervision of nutrition by their parents. That 180 meals really isn't much in the grand scheme of things to take down their entire nutrition. It falls squarely on the shoulders of the parents, especially since they don't have to allow the kids to buy from school.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:46 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,379,095 times
If they are sending notes home of obese kids, based on the health implication, I sure hope they are doing a full physical of each child and also sending notes home to those kids who test positive for tobacco, alcohol, other drugs, who appear to be depressed, who are anorexic, bulimic etc etc. All of these are valid health issues. Where does the line get drawn?

Old 03-08-2010, 05:48 PM

50,118 posts, read 63,519,992 times
OK, when the schools have their stuff together, THEN let's micro manage what children eat in their homes. Does the school in question still serve french fries and macaroni and cheese at the same time?
This is one of my pet peeves. People who are in a position to make rules who fix stuff that's unimportant, but fail to address what is.
When I rule the world, students will have access to salads and a protein for lunch (eat it, or don't eat it. I don't care), and the rest of the time their parents will feed them according to their family's standards, which are not my business.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:59 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,700,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Report Calls on State to Monitor Kids' Weight; Some Parents Say 'Fat Chance'

Amy Oztan is one of thousands of parents who got a letter from school bluntly pointing out that her son is fat. She promptly threw the letter away.

New Tool in Obesity Epidemic: Congress, States Consider Electronic Surveillance of Your Kids' BMI - ABC News
Just let this Obama care get pushed thru....Big Brother will KNOW everything about each person in America....

know all those 'diagnostic codes' used for billing? Yep, the fed, will have a long list of ALL a persons information.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:47 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,680,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Kids here are in school 180 days, so if they never missed school and always bought lunch there, that's 180 meals they are eating at school.
If they eat 3 meals a day, then they are eating a total of 1095 meals a year. 180 out of 1095 is a little over 16% of their yearly intake.

That means that they are getting 915 meals (and most all snacks) under the supervision of nutrition by their parents. That 180 meals really isn't much in the grand scheme of things to take down their entire nutrition. It falls squarely on the shoulders of the parents, especially since they don't have to allow the kids to buy from school.
Not exactly. Many kids eat breakfast at school as well. That would be 360 meals at school. One third.

When my daughter was in elementary school, there were sweet rolls and bagels available for breakfast (She always ate breakfast at home.). For lunch, there was always pizza and lots of a la carte items. Then there are the snack machines.

Hard to monitor from home what kids eat at school.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:47 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,594,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Not exactly. Many kids eat breakfast at school as well. That would be 360 meals at school. One third.

When my daughter was in elementary school, there were sweet rolls and bagels available for breakfast (She always ate breakfast at home.). For lunch, there was always pizza and lots of a la carte items. Then there are the snack machines.

Hard to monitor from home what kids eat at school.
Parents still have almost complete control over what their kids eat in elementary school. They choose whether or not to purchase meals at school, so if the school doesn't provide a good choice, then it's up to the parent to provide one. Which takes me back to my original point.....the parent, no matter where the child eats, is still the one responsible for their nutrition the majority of the time, even if it's 2/3 instead of 3/4 of the time.

Therefore to place blame on a school for children being obese is misplaced blame when the bottom line is the parents still have control.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:38 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,379,095 times
I see no point in arguing who is to "blame"....wouldn't it be more useful to teach healthy habits? Frankly, the schools are in no position to be sending notes home regarding a child's weight or anything else - that is between the child, his/her parents and their physician. If it affects academic performance or there are individual concerns, then that specifically can be addressed on an individual basis. But to say the school is going to start sending home notes based on BMI alone? Ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting