Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 01:45 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,673,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Have you any idea how many people don't register to vote so they won't get called??? NJ went around that, now they go by licensed drivers
Cool. I didn't know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 02:23 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,831,899 times
In Ct. jury selection is done by the following, not just licensed voters: "motor vehicle owners, state personal income taxpayers, and public assistance and unemployment compensation recipients, in addition to the registered voters and licensed motor vehicle operators ". That covers just about everyone.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:51 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,135,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
PONTIAC, Mich. (WXYZ) - An Oakland County mother is considering hiring a lawyer after she was ordered to jail because she had no one to care for her kids while she was on jury duty.

Carmela Khury says the problem began Thursday, February 25, three days into a murder trial.

Mother Ordered to Jail For Bringing Kids || WXYZ.com | WXYZ-TV / Detroit | Detroit News, Weather, Sports and More
I find this curious and I'd like to know more information. I have been called to jury duty 4 times in 3 different states. At every single one, they gave me a questionnaire to fill out and a specific place to write down any hardships, including being a stay-at-home parent of a young one. On one occasion in Florida, I was able to serve on jury duty for 3 days because my husband was not going to be working on those days (I'm a SAHM) and I wrote that down. The judge specifically asked me about it and then released me because he said there wasn't a guarantee that the trial would only last 2 days (plus one day to deliberate). On every single other occasion, I've put specifically that I am a SAHM and that I don't have alternative childcare and I have been released before ever being called up into a courtroom (which begins the selection process). In addition, on the way into the Jury Duty room, in each state, I've noticed a few flyers for childcare services that are offered to people who are perfoming jury duty (and are located nearby the courthouse).

So, my questions are simple ones...Why did this woman not have a problem finding childcare for the first 3 days of her jury duty? Did she not see the part on the form asking if she would be able to serve for a lengthy period of time (murder trials don't just last a day or two)? Did she not fill out the line about hardships she may encounter from having to serve that length of time and let them know that she was a mom without adequate childcare?

There ARE people who will do anything to get out of jury duty, but the courts aren't organizations that will advocate leaving your children alone in a house in order for you to serve jury duty. You can't just fill out "SAHM" and expect to get out of jury duty. But there were always a few opportunities to speak up and let someone know you aren't going to be able to serve. As I said above, the first 2 times, I was released while in the Jury Duty Room. The second time, I had to speak up in front of 50+ potential jurors to the judge (in front of the lawyers and defendant) to tell HIM of my childcare issue. He asked a few questions about my husband's job and the ages of my children, but then let me go.

I'll be willing to bet that this mother did not verbalize her issue to the judge and she should have. As the jury selection continues and they start narrowing down the potential juror pool, she would have had another opportunity to express any reservations she had and to let them know she didn't have anyone to watch her kids after 3 days. Immaturity or shyness is not a good reason to not be forceful in stating that she would not make a good juror. There's not an excuse and I very much doubt that the court would MAKE anyone perform jury duty who honestly wasn't able and a person with 3 kids who does not have someone to watch them does not make someone "able."

Old 03-04-2010, 03:00 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,135,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I think primary caregivers of children, the elderly and disabled should be cases to consider for exemption. Some states do this and some states don't. Mine does not.
In Colorado, you HAVE to show up for jury duty no matter what your childcare situation is. My husband (luckily) happened to be off of work on the day I was called. I was given a form to fill out about my occupation and any potential problems I may have performing my jury duty and I wrote down that I was a SAHM of a 1 year old without family nearby or alternate childcare. That apparently wasn't good enough for the staff who dismissed lots of people but not me. About 50 of us went up into the courtroom and the judge told us a little bit about what was expected of us, we heard from the lawyers and then the questionning of the jury pool began. When the judge asked if anyone had any reason they think they may not be able to perform jury duty for at least 7 days, I raised my hand. I hate public speaking and I know my face turned red as a beet, but I told him my situation. He asked me a few questions about what my husband did for work, where my nearest family members were, did we hire someone to watch our kids when we want to go to dinner or the movies and how old my kids were. When it was time to make the final selection of 12 jurors (11 +1 alternate), my number wasn't called. The rest of us were released that day.

Bottom line, you must show up for jury duty in some states no matter your childcare situation. While you're there, you have a window of opportunity to speak up and forcefully explain you aren't able to perform the duty they are asking you to perform for any period of time. Scary? Yep. Kind of embarassing? Sure. Necessary if it means leaving your kids alone or having to bring them to jury duty? Absolutely. You have to be a grown up and speak up for yourself, even to a judge.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:04 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,158,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
I find this curious and I'd like to know more information. I have been called to jury duty 4 times in 3 different states. At every single one, they gave me a questionnaire to fill out and a specific place to write down any hardships, including being a stay-at-home parent of a young one. On one occasion in Florida, I was able to serve on jury duty for 3 days because my husband was not going to be working on those days (I'm a SAHM) and I wrote that down. The judge specifically asked me about it and then released me because he said there wasn't a guarantee that the trial would only last 2 days (plus one day to deliberate). On every single other occasion, I've put specifically that I am a SAHM and that I don't have alternative childcare and I have been released before ever being called up into a courtroom (which begins the selection process). In addition, on the way into the Jury Duty room, in each state, I've noticed a few flyers for childcare services that are offered to people who are perfoming jury duty (and are located nearby the courthouse).

So, my questions are simple ones...Why did this woman not have a problem finding childcare for the first 3 days of her jury duty? Did she not see the part on the form asking if she would be able to serve for a lengthy period of time (murder trials don't just last a day or two)? Did she not fill out the line about hardships she may encounter from having to serve that length of time and let them know that she was a mom without adequate childcare?

There ARE people who will do anything to get out of jury duty, but the courts aren't organizations that will advocate leaving your children alone in a house in order for you to serve jury duty. You can't just fill out "SAHM" and expect to get out of jury duty. But there were always a few opportunities to speak up and let someone know you aren't going to be able to serve. As I said above, the first 2 times, I was released while in the Jury Duty Room. The second time, I had to speak up in front of 50+ potential jurors to the judge (in front of the lawyers and defendant) to tell HIM of my childcare issue. He asked a few questions about my husband's job and the ages of my children, but then let me go.

I'll be willing to bet that this mother did not verbalize her issue to the judge and she should have. As the jury selection continues and they start narrowing down the potential juror pool, she would have had another opportunity to express any reservations she had and to let them know she didn't have anyone to watch her kids after 3 days. Immaturity or shyness is not a good reason to not be forceful in stating that she would not make a good juror. There's not an excuse and I very much doubt that the court would MAKE anyone perform jury duty who honestly wasn't able and a person with 3 kids who does not have someone to watch them does not make someone "able."
The last time I served on a jury there was a women who spoke up to the judge about her situation as a sahm of young children without adequate childcare available (after that day). The judge did not dismiss her. The women spoke up at every possible opportunity and was finally eliminated by the lawyers. The judge didn't care at all that the mother did not have access to childcare. She was not going to dismiss her.

I've also talked to a few sahm's who were called and they tried to get out of it due to having very small babies who were still breastfeeding. They were given a one time extension and then called again in a few months. After that they were required to show up at the courthouse and figure it out from there.

The court provides childcare (where I live) but who wants to leave their child with strangers? Not me. It's one thing to have the opportunity to look into various childcare centers and choose based on what you as the parent feel most comfortable with. It's a whole other story to have to leave your child (or baby) in a day care with providers who you know very little about. It's also unfair to the kid (or baby) who is used to being at home with Mom to have to spend the day with strangers.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,605,736 times
I don't see why this is news. The women should have applied for a hardship extension instead of showing up with her children.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:27 PM

758 posts, read 1,865,380 times
I have not personally been called to jury duty so I can not say I have any personal experience with the procedures in place, but it does appear from the article that she had been in touch with the court about her situation and they denied her request and was ordered to show up. So I'm not sure what else she could have done except to bring them with her.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:31 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,831,899 times
I find it curious that people find childcare so easy and affordable. We have no nearby relatives, the courthouse doesn't provide babysitting, and my dh is self-employed---we cannot afford for him to take time off work, possibly days to sit at home and babysit. Nor could we afford paying for childcare. Is it my civic duty to miss a mortgage payment, or worse, so that I can serve? I think that's a little harsh. It's a pity that not all states will excuse SAHM's altogether.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,605,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I find it curious that people find childcare so easy and affordable. We have no nearby relatives, the courthouse doesn't provide babysitting, and my dh is self-employed---we cannot afford for him to take time off work, possibly days to sit at home and babysit. Nor could we afford paying for childcare. Is it my civic duty to miss a mortgage payment, or worse, so that I can serve? I think that's a little harsh. It's a pity that not all states will excuse SAHM's altogether.
Yes, it is your civic duty. Your husband can stay home and watch the children. He would lose the income if he were called to jury duty anyway. It really doesn't matter that you were the one called or not. Since you have a husband, you do have someone to babysit even if you lose money while he does it. One way or another, there is financial hardship to many people who serve.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:08 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,673,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
The way some of you think, the courts should just step out onto the steps of the courthouse and post on the door 'ANYONE WHO WISHES TO SERVE ON JURYDUTY, PLEASE SIGN HERE. THOSE OF YOU WHO WISH NOT TO, HAVE A NICE DAY.'

Honestly, people with small children are not tethered to the house for the duration of childhood. They find babysitters for going out, be it relatives or friends or local teenagers. Using childcare as an excuse to not have to do what is expected when your name is called is deplorable.

None of us know that maybe the woman in the story decided it was taking too much time away from her computer time or soap operas, or tea time with her friends and took the kids thinking she would simply be sent home.

She certainly knew in advance what was expected of her during that time. Her mother certainly knew in advance that she would be having the oral surgery. Neither was a surprise to either woman.

Bottom line: Arrangements should have been made prior to that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting