Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 03:02 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,224,915 times

Advertisements

What do your kids have for school lunch. Do they buy it at school, at a nearby shop or do they take a lunch from home.

To put it in perspective, where are you and what grade are the kids in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 03:15 PM

17,101 posts, read 16,270,803 times
My kids brown bag it almost every day. Yogurt, cheese, sandwiches, fruits, veggies, goldfish, etc. Mostly finger type food.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:48 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,025,159 times
Flyover country, U.S.A. Elementary school. About half and half brown bag and school lunch. Cost is $1.65/day.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 03-04-2010 at 04:05 PM..

Old 03-04-2010, 04:02 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,379,095 times
High school son usually packs his lunch or comes home for lunch. Once in a great while he buys lunch at school.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:38 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,594,122 times
In Texas, one in elementary school, one in middle school and they almost always buy the school lunch.

Both schools have a main lunch. Elementary has two alternative choices-baked potato or salad. Middle school has several alternative choices.

Our district does a pretty good job on nutritious lunches and 'junk' is rarely served though, so buying is a good option here.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:15 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,224,915 times
In the land down under, we get the idea that americans eat out all the time and that there is a McDonalds and Burger King across the road from every school and that in American high schools at least, the kids either eat a lunch purchased at the school cafeteria or they go over the road and buy it at the fast food shop.

BTW, our kids, take their lunch 3-4 days per week and have "tuck shop" one day per week although if they want a second day they can but they have to pay for it from their pocket money. 1x high school and 3x primary (elementary) school. We do Maccas maybe once per month on a weekend.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:27 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,597,183 times
My older kids are 12 and 13. They bring their lunches, except on Thursdays, when the younger one buys lunch because it's spaghetti day. I make them peanut butter and jelly (their request) on whole wheat, and then they get one carb thing (pretzels, goldfish) and one fruit or vegetable (baby carrots, unsweetened applesauce). My older daughter also gets a snack for her mid-morning munchies, usually a chewy granola bar. I'm trying to cut the HCFS though, so I have been looking around for a good alternative. I did make my own power bars this past weekend, which were very good. The older one also take a juice box (100% juice), and the younger one buys milk.

Our younger child is 5 and gets lunch at his daycare before they take him to kindergarten. They have a lot of different things, pretty healthy. Next year, he'll bring his lunch to school, and he'll get what the girls eat.

We live in Illinois.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:31 PM

61 posts, read 174,482 times
I have a Kindergartner and I pack her lunch almost every day. Usually a PB&J, chicken salad, boiled egg, bagel with cream cheese, carrots, grapes, apples, crackers, leftovers from dinner (if she liked it),homemade mac and cheese, soup in a thermos, honey almonds, banana, greek yogurt. If she buys lunch and milk, it is $5.75. So needless to say, we don't buy too often.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:02 PM

2,148 posts, read 3,309,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
What do your kids have for school lunch. Do they buy it at school, at a nearby shop or do they take a lunch from home.

To put it in perspective, where are you and what grade are the kids in.
I have two kids in high school (in California). Their school has a closed campus, so they can't leave during lunch. My kids never buy a school lunch (they don't like the food), and only rarely will buy juice or water at school (too expensive, a water bottle is now $2.50). My son brings his lunch from home and usually has a sandwich of some sort on whole wheat or on a thin bagel, fruit, crackers or chips, and juice or vitamin water. My daughter usually isn't hungry at lunch time and waits to eat when she gets home from school at 3:30. Sometimes she'll take a bite of sushi or seaweed/rice or similar asian food from her friends (who bring in large containers of food to share with the group).

Old 03-04-2010, 06:04 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,766,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
In the land down under, we get the idea that americans eat out all the time and that there is a McDonalds and Burger King across the road from every school and that in American high schools at least, the kids either eat a lunch purchased at the school cafeteria or they go over the road and buy it at the fast food shop.
That's funny...I always notice the movies have these cool American high schools with outdoor lockers and outdoor cafeteria seating...and I never saw such a thing anywhere I ever lived!

My son, first grade, packs his lunch most days since he is very picky, and I don't like paying $2.00 for what I consider foods with poor nutritional value. He does buy on pizza days, which averages about 3 days per month. His favorites to pack are Nutella on bread (he doesn't like peanut butter), bananas, cantaloupe, pretzels, granola bars, pudding cups, fruit bars, yogurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting