Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 02:05 PM

573 posts, read 2,058,889 times

Advertisements

Is anybody else here disturbed by this story? Seriously, 12 year olds? What's next, 9 year olds? These people are sick.

leading condom manufacturer in Switzerland has created extra-small condoms for boys as young as 12 years old, the U.K.’s Daily Telegraph reported.
The condom, called the Hotshot, was produced after family planning groups and the Swiss AIDS Federation campaigned to have the condoms made following several studies that showed adolescent boys were not using proper protection when engaging in intercourse.
"The result that shocked us concerned young boys who display apparently risky behavior,” Nancy Bodmer, who headed the research, told the newspaper. “They have more of a tendency not to protect themselves. They do not have a very developed sexual knowledge. They do not understand the consequences of what they are doing and leave the young girls to take care of the consequences.”
Bodmer said the results of the study suggest that early prevention makes sense.
A spokeswoman for the company, Lamprecht AG, said the United Kingdom would be a “top priority” if they expanded abroad, especially since the U.K. has one of the highest rates of teen pregnancy in Europe.
A standard condom has a diameter of 2 inches; the Hotshot's is 1.7 inches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 02:11 PM

994 posts, read 1,682,000 times
Yeah well...kids are gonna be kids and to think biology and hormones wont hit them is silly. Better to give them condoms and hope they use them, then to make believe they are pure and innocent.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:46 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I agree with penguin. After all, we've all heard of girls as young as 10 or 11 getting pregnant. if helps keep them safe I 'm all for it.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:53 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,949 times
It doesn't surprise me based on all the stuff that's being thrown at them these days. Forget T.V. and movies,have you checked what books are in your kid's school library these days.?Oh what a world! Very sad these kids are losing their innocence so early. Never get childhood back.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:57 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Sounds like that goes hand in hand with the Maine middle school that hands out birth control pills to 7th and 8th grade girls.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:00 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
I think as long as they are only "available" and the company is not actually "marketing" the things with ads aimed at promoting sex to twelve year olds it's probably a good idea. It's unfortunate, but there are plenty of middle school kids having sex and if this helps cut down on STD's and unwanted pregnancies then I'm for it too.
Besides, I know a few men who might benefit from the smaller size too.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:03 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I think as long as they are only "available" and the company is not actually "marketing" the things with ads aimed at promoting sex to twelve year olds it's probably a good idea. It's unfortunate, but there are plenty of middle school kids having sex and if this helps cut down on STD's and unwanted pregnancies then I'm for it too.
Twelve year olds would first have to be educated in the use of condoms, which would mean they would have to be marketed since those are what would be the proper size for them to use.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:07 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,508 times
Quote:

Umm! Here's to hoping you're a nurse and this exposure is part of the job!

Nothing to do with age, its demand and the lost innocence rests squarely on the shoulders of those that should be PARENTING. I wish it wasn't so, but it is, therefore someone, somewhere, will be making a heap of cash for others' laxness in their duty.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:09 PM

680 posts, read 1,383,951 times
The first rule is do no harm!

Question: What harm is caused by a child having a condom? He can't use it to become intoxicated, use it as a weapon, he's not going to eat it and get sick, he's not supporting a black market controlled by violent thugs, he's not interfering with the rights of others, he's not even harming your own belief that he shouldn't have a condom.

If a boy is going to have sex then that's the issue. Condoms don't cause sex, they help prevent pregnancy.

So, given all the above (which are indisputable as far as I can tell), what objection do you have to selling condoms to young boys that isn't rooted in your own irrational fears and aesthetic disdain for such a transaction?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Sounds like that goes hand in hand with the Maine middle school that hands out birth control pills to 7th and 8th grade girls.
There are two significant differences here:
1. Birth control pills are hormonal and should be monitored by a doctor because of potential harm caused by their use, and
2. The Pill creates a condition of readiness for sex on an ongoing basis as opposed to being a one-time use. This is a subtle distinction but I think it's psychologically distinct from having the option to try sex once using a condom. That's just my gut feeling, I don't know if it's actually true.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:11 PM

680 posts, read 1,383,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Exactly my point, except you're less confrontational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting