Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:08 AM

3 posts, read 17,731 times

Advertisements

For those who recently have trained their older boys in the potty chair, first. I have searched on Amazon and googled the best potty chair for an older boy-2 1/2 years old and 27 lb- and unsuccessfully got nothing. It seems to me that the potty chairs are too small or do not work well for boys and nothing is less than 12 bucks. Is it just my impression or is it that I've been looking in the wrong sites? I'm looking forward to reading your suggestions about where to find and which potty chair to get for my son and how many should I get. One for each floor? Additionally, which is the best training underwear for a boy of my son's size....In advance, thanks for your input in this regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 12:16 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,367 times
A good ole fashioned toilet which is already probably in your home and something your child will use the rest of his life.

Never trained either on toilets that sing, dance & hand out stickers for peeing.

Started on a fri; ended on a sun.

They wore underpants all weekend.

They got a hug and cheer from mommy & daddy which cost nothing and probably meant more.

If they got wet, they soon realized why.

No need to waste money on brightly decorated minitoilets nor pull ups.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:25 PM

381 posts, read 1,092,684 times
The Montessori school that my son attended when he was 2 through 2 1/2 years old potty trained him and did the following, which I also did at home:

Potty train using the regular adult toliet. Get a stool and those children's soft potty seat for each toliet (keep in mind they get soiled with urine underneath so you need to clean them often). My son stopped using one around 3 1/2.

Teach boys how to urinate sitting down first. My son sat down to urinate for about a year or so and then on his own did it standing up. It was a lot less messy that way.

The Montessori school did not use pullups. They put the kids in regular underwear. You were required as parents to bring lots of extra pairs. I think the school made the kids clean up their own accidents but I did not do this at home. At the school they set a timer and had the kid use the toliet (whether they needed to or not) every 15 min or so for a few days and then lengthened the interval.

At home I put my son in pullups for his nap and overnight for several weeks after he was day trained until he always stayed dry during these times.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:52 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,108 times
i bought 2 different ones, one for each floor. guess what he wanted to use WHEN he felt like going to the potty....the regular toilet :/

Old 03-07-2010, 03:10 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,157 times
Our kids didn't potty-train until they were three, and they just used the regular toilet, although we did purchase a step. Our kids' preschool had half-size plumbed toilets. They were pretty cool, but I can't imagine going to the trouble of installing one in a house. One option for you would be to take your little one to the store and have him pick out a chair himself. He might be more likely to use it that way.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:17 PM

368 posts, read 928,679 times
I got the 3-1 potty seat for my 2 1/2 year old and he's a whopping 38 pounds. The potty seat is really too small for him so he doesn't like it, although he did pee in it once. Problem is, he likes being a baby, being held, being kissed and cuddled, and actually prefers the diaper unlike my older son, who's now 5, who tired of diapers quickly. The LO seems to have no urgent need to be a "big boy" like his brother even though he watches him all the time. I hate the concept of food rewards especially since he loves food already! How to encourage him to go?? I'm going to try the 15-minute interval but I've started putting him on the potty and he starts to run away from me!!

Old 05-07-2012, 02:04 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,214,400 times
Funny how you asked about potty chairs, not potty training methods but got more info on the latter.

Bjorn potty chair, hands down. Expensive, yes, but stands up to heavy kids and boys. They have a high resale value so you could find one or two on Craigslist.

Amazon.com: BABYBJÖRN Potty Chair, White: Baby

Old 05-07-2012, 02:05 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,214,400 times
Oh and to answer your question abut one on each floor, depends on your method. We only do 3-day or Fellom Method so you do need a few potty chairs. Again, Craigslist if you don't want to pay full price.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:06 PM

460 posts, read 671,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenita View Post
For those who recently have trained their older boys in the potty chair, first. I have searched on Amazon and googled the best potty chair for an older boy-2 1/2 years old and 27 lb- and unsuccessfully got nothing. It seems to me that the potty chairs are too small or do not work well for boys and nothing is less than 12 bucks. Is it just my impression or is it that I've been looking in the wrong sites? I'm looking forward to reading your suggestions about where to find and which potty chair to get for my son and how many should I get. One for each floor? Additionally, which is the best training underwear for a boy of my son's size....In advance, thanks for your input in this regard.
The best potty device I bought for my boy was the ladder that goes ontop of the actual potty. 3-in-1 Toilet Trainer, Potty Seat & Step Stool, Potty Training

He was reluctant on the rickety ones that slid around the toilet a bit too much. He also didn't like the stand alone potties. He ended up taking them apart and using them as toys. Gross. This ladder made him feel secure while also feeling big for using the "real" potty.

Second, for peeing, the thing that worked best was having him straddle the toilet facing backward. It's almost like standing but gives the comfort of sitting (less mess too).

Good luck

Old 05-08-2012, 10:01 AM

869 posts, read 1,493,881 times
We also bought a 3-1. We had the little pot in there and he could sit on it but he would never do anything. Finally he made it clear he wanted to use the potty, on the big potty. So we took the removal "seat" off the 3-1 and put it on the potty and he used the stool to get onto the potty. Worked well, he wanted to use the big potty that daddy used, not the "baby potty".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting