Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:49 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The solution to all the ills that our "morally bankrupt society" impresses upon our youth can easily be corrected through judicial application of involved parenting.

If you are afraid to broach a topic with your child and have a frank and honest age appropriate discussion at any point in their lives about material that they may be exposed to, then I highly recommend keeping them locked in the basement.

I've found that kids are far more in tune to things they see/hear around them then most parents give them credit for. They will pick a lot of things up, from TV, movies, school, books, internet, etc. You can't monitor them 24/7, the best you can do is be an engaged parent and confront issues when you see them creep up. Spongebob doesn't make your child stupid, Glee won't make them gay and video games won't turn them into a sociopath...they'll do all of that on their own.

So, stop trying to control the "message" and create your own message to your children about what is right and wrong based on your families set of moral beliefs. If you do your job and aren't afraid to discuss ANYTHING, then they will most likely make the decisions that you feel are right.

Why do you feel that your "tweens" aren't capable of discussing promiscuity and the consequences of salatial sex? Or is it that you don't feel comfortable with the discussion and/or fear what they're opinion may be on the issue?
The point is, that kids shouldn't be exposed to this and have it endorsed constantly either through the White House or through books in school. A 10 year old does not need to read about B.J.'s or gross jokes about pubic hair, or 4 pages of detailed descriptions of painful childbirth or graphic rape. Nor do they need to read about kids stealing without repercussion or repentence.They don't need to read about sadistic torture of children or suicide. Nor do they need to be taught how to masturbate. C'mon, does anyone? And yet the books in our kids public schools are filled with this. Yes, they might read some of this on their own, but for the schools and the White House to endorse this, I don't find appropriate. Try reading the books I mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 02:56 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
The point is, that kids shouldn't be exposed to this and have it endorsed constantly either through the White House or through books in school. A 10 year old does not need to read about B.J.'s or gross jokes about pubic hair, or 4 pages of detailed descriptions of painful childbirth or graphic rape. Nor do they need to read about kids stealing without repercussion or repentence.They don't need to read about sadistic torture of children or suicide. Nor do they need to be taught how to masturbate. C'mon, does anyone? And yet the books in our kids public schools are filled with this. Yes, they might read some of this on their own, but for the schools and the White House to endorse this, I don't find appropriate. Try reading the books I mentioned.
How exactly is the White House endorsing any of this by inviting a group of very talented singers to perform for the Annual Egg Roll? I think you're looking for trouble where there is none.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
How exactly is the White House endorsing any of this by inviting a group of very talented singers to perform for the Annual Egg Roll? I think you're looking for trouble where there is none.
Reread my initial post for the explanation please. I need to go. I have children to take care of.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:09 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Where exactly have you found your children being exposed to this type of material and who exactly is endorsing it? I'm sure I could read the books you mentioned and be just as shocked and awed as you are, but in my experience and those of my family and friends, I have not run across 10 year olds sitting in school being taught in graphic detail about rape, torture and countless other things. Is this what goes on in your local schools?

If my child came home and said hey dad, we learned how to brutally rape and torture people in school today I'd be at the school in a hearbeat. If my child came home and said they were discussing sex in health class and the topics of BJ's came up I would sit down, listen to what they thought about it and help with any questions they had. Just for what it's worth, I don't think that 10 is too young to be discussing sexual matters in a context and with language that my child understands.

Not to sound condescending, but maybe Chicken Little needs to put the alarmist literature down?

Old 03-08-2010, 03:19 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Quote:
Where exactly have you found your children being exposed to this type of material and who exactly is endorsing it? I'm sure I could read the books you mentioned and be just as shocked and awed as you are, but in my experience and those of my family and friends, I have not run across 10 year olds sitting in school being taught in graphic detail about rape, torture and countless other things. Is this what goes on in your local schools?

If my child came home and said hey dad, we learned how to brutally rape and torture people in school today I'd be at the school in a hearbeat. If my child came home and said they were discussing sex in health class and the topics of BJ's came up I would sit down, listen to what they thought about it and help with any questions they had. Just for what it's worth, I don't think that 10 is too young to be discussing sexual matters in a context and with language that my child understands.

Not to sound condescending, but maybe Chicken Little needs to put the alarmist literature down?

Amen goat!

It is really starting to look like this whole thread was begun just so someone could endorse the aforementioned alarmist literature.....and if this continues, I would guess that she'll bring up homeschooling next, or book burning....

Old 03-08-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:

These are the books that are in the kids' school library and it isn't pretty. Does your school have an online catalogue? If so, check out some of the books in it. You may be surprised. Maybe not. To each his own.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:20 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Just for what it's worth, I don't think that 10 is too young to be discussing sexual matters in a context and with language that my child understands.
10 is too late...

But a toddler does not need to exposed to the word choices of such shows as SpongeBob or Family Guy. Dumb, stupid, idiot, moron...those are not words young toddlers need to be exposed to for they are at the age where they take those words literally. It is much easier to explain to a grade schooler that those words are not necessarily something that is appropriate, though I know parents who have no issues w/ their children using the words hell or dammit no matter what the age.

Sheltering is dangerous. Overexposure with the intent that this opens discussion is just as dangerous. No, SpongeBob is not going to create a monster but if not handled appropriately, it also unfairly sets up a child.

We all have our levels of parental involvement & what we feel comfortable with in OUR home. What others do is their choice and right. Case closed

As for the egg roll, it's a big political PR game. Nothing more & nothing less. Luckily, most of the little ones don't know that & just have fun.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:25 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
This is ridiculous.

Glee is a great show, especially for teens and tweens. It is not immoral. It is about a group of all types of teenagers (mostly nerds)coming together and supporting each other in the Glee Club. They are the underdogs! The cast are all Broadway performers and are awesome. Yes, one of the students includes a pregnant teen. The show focuses on kids working together, sticking up for each other, working hard at goals and dreams and that being different is ok!

Those that attend the festivities at the White House are in for a real treat. I am envious!

BTW, the cast also sang the National Anthem at the World Series on national television!

Old 03-08-2010, 07:23 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
OMG what is wrong with GLEE? I've been watching it since day 1 and wouldn't hesitate to let my kid's of any age watch it! Seriously folks, if GLEE is a problem for you then you shouldn't own a tv or subsrcibe to a newspaper. May as well stay in your house 24/7 too.
It sure beats those crappy reality shows.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:55 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
10 is too late...
qft
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting