Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 07:06 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,017,074 times

Advertisements

I just read from several sources including Huffington Post that the cast of the t.v. show Glee will be performing at the White House Egg Roll next month. I find this a poor choice as it seems to be an endorsement of the show, which is generally regarded as inappropriate for those under 14 years of age. (Although the article stated that Michelle and her 8 and 10 year old daughters are big fans of the show) due to excessive sexuality of all kinds including adultery and teen pregnancies, etc.

I do not think that this is sending a good message to our kids, especially the tweens, who are old enough to know about the show but shouldn't be watching it. And an "egg roll" is for kids. Also, seeing as how this "group" is identified solely as the "cast from Glee," I do not think there is any distinction between their singing and the t.v. show. I certainly think children would not see that distinction and will find this choice an endorsement of a show that promotes poor choices. (and yes I know there are some weak attempts to portray much of the inappropriate behavior as unrewarded - but most of the show is just salacious sex.) What do other parents think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 07:55 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,911,047 times
I think that if you're letting your kids watch Glee, they might be excited.

I think if you aren't, they won't know who they are, and it won't matter.

In either case, the cast of Glee is far from the most harmful and dangerous person at the White House egg roll. I think the better question is whether or not kids should be in the proximity of politicians.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:57 AM

628 posts, read 2,036,304 times
I think the kids will just hear a great group singing--is a 7 yr old going to rember a phrase or two mentioning the cast of glee and remember and bring it up and realize it is a show or are they going to remember that they heard singing while at the white house and doing easter activities?

Old 03-08-2010, 10:30 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,475,144 times
Personally, I am glad mine are still toddlers & I have time to figure out how to handle the crap on tv & the radio.

Between shows like Glee & Gossip Girl (which are heavily marketed towards an age group far younger than 14...if a parent thinks otherwise, their head is in the clouds based on choice) & singers such as Kesha who's main audience is preteen & talks about drinking & sex in all her songs....I'm going to be a very unpopular and unliked mom when mine are teenagers.

Oh well, then they don't like me! Already dealing w/ SpongeBob and the boy next door who is allowed to watch it 24/7. Great. I don't care. If it got to such a point when they are older, the tv's are gone. Certain things I have always stuck very hard to & the sexual promiscuity that is protrayed as acceptable & completely normal for 10 year olds on tv...it will not be in our home.

And I was a teenager & yes, I'd go to friends homes & get away with watching things my parents did not allow in our home. But when I came home, I always knew the rules of my home. Hated it when I was 13. Beyond grateful for it now as an adult.

Is it approproriate? No. But when has politics ever cared about true family values? I think the Obamas are a class act as a family, but remember, they are part of the machine now & there is only so much choice they have based on the job.

The egg roll is a big PR move for those looking for reelection. A close friend stood in line last year to get tickets. 99% of the tickets are given to special interest that are covered in the name of the less fortunate...most the times, not even the case...

The cast of Glee very much is in tune with gay/bisexual/transgender movement & its push in high schools. President Obama is very, very liberal when it comes to these topics as is his wife. I won't go there are I have my opinions on that & since I do not have teeangers yet, I better keep my mouth shut, b/c I will face those battles as they come & until then, have no idea what that may entail, be it bad or good.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:44 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,008,849 times
The cast of Glee puts on absolutely fabulous performances, and I think it sounds like great fun. My kids don't watch the show, but they love the music CD. I don't see any problem at all with their participation in the events at the White House. If I still lived in Maryland, I'd probably drive down to take part.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Personally, I am glad mine are still toddlers & I have time to figure out how to handle the crap on tv & the radio.

Between shows like Glee & Gossip Girl (which are heavily marketed towards an age group far younger than 14...if a parent thinks otherwise, their head is in the clouds based on choice) & singers such as Kesha who's main audience is preteen & talks about drinking & sex in all her songs....I'm going to be a very unpopular and unliked mom when mine are teenagers.

Oh well, then they don't like me! Already dealing w/ SpongeBob and the boy next door who is allowed to watch it 24/7. Great. I don't care. If it got to such a point when they are older, the tv's are gone. Certain things I have always stuck very hard to & the sexual promiscuity that is protrayed as acceptable & completely normal for 10 year olds on tv...it will not be in our home.

And I was a teenager & yes, I'd go to friends homes & get away with watching things my parents did not allow in our home. But when I came home, I always knew the rules of my home. Hated it when I was 13. Beyond grateful for it now as an adult.

Is it approproriate? No. But when has politics ever cared about true family values? I think the Obamas are a class act as a family, but remember, they are part of the machine now & there is only so much choice they have based on the job.

The egg roll is a big PR move for those looking for reelection. A close friend stood in line last year to get tickets. 99% of the tickets are given to special interest that are covered in the name of the less fortunate...most the times, not even the case...

The cast of Glee very much is in tune with gay/bisexual/transgender movement & its push in high schools. President Obama is very, very liberal when it comes to these topics as is his wife. I won't go there are I have my opinions on that & since I do not have teeangers yet, I better keep my mouth shut, b/c I will face those battles as they come & until then, have no idea what that may entail, be it bad or good.
So well put. We need a LOT more Moms like you. Good luck raising your little ones. Oh, and by the way, I don't think you're going to want to send your kids to the public schools when its time. I am appalled at what I am finding out about whats going on in the schools. Feel free to DM if you like.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:53 AM

4,156 posts, read 10,977,288 times
Yeah. I don't think it's condoning anything. It's a popular show, I guess, I don't watch it, but the kids sing...I'm sure the younger kids that see their performance at the White House egg roll (whatever the heck that is) will think they're like a different High School Musical group. Seriously, it's not that big of a deal, they're not going to be doing anything salacious at the white house for pete's sake!

Old 03-08-2010, 11:37 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,475,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
So well put. We need a LOT more Moms like you. Good luck raising your little ones. Oh, and by the way, I don't think you're going to want to send your kids to the public schools when its time. I am appalled at what I am finding out about whats going on in the schools. Feel free to DM if you like.
I've taught in both & in today's world, one is not necessarily going to protect them from anything. I went to a private catholic girls high school w/ 99% going on to college & the other 1% being pregnant...

It starts at home and ends at home. Good schools help in many ways, but they are not the end all or do all.

I will not shelter my boys but I will also not condone certain things, particurly when these things are being promoted starting as early as 5/6 years of age.

My children have choice. They will also learn that those choice have consequences. Our beliefs are based on values, not fear. So, they can choose but they can also realize that some of those choices will have a consequence.

But back to your original ?, not sure how many 3yr olds are into watching Glee but I do know already from preschool some words/ideas my son is bringing home. I always shake my head when parents think 3,4,7 yr olds don't get the message. Oh, they do. They get it loud and clear & even more potent for their minds are sponges.

Again, the cast of Glee is not being asked to perform for 5yr olds. There is more to it than that. The group has talent. Very good talent. It also sends a very loud political message that some may accept of not; it's a free country. There is no debating there are reasons that group is being asked to perform.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I've taught in both & in today's world, one is not necessarily going to protect them from anything. I went to a private catholic girls high school w/ 99% going on to college & the other 1% being pregnant...

It starts at home and ends at home. Good schools help in many ways, but they are not the end all or do all.

I will not shelter my boys but I will also not condone certain things, particurly when these things are being promoted starting as early as 5/6 years of age.

My children have choice. They will also learn that those choice have consequences. Our beliefs are based on values, not fear. So, they can choose but they can also realize that some of those choices will have a consequence.

But back to your original ?, not sure how many 3yr olds are into watching Glee but I do know already from preschool some words/ideas my son is bringing home. I always shake my head when parents think 3,4,7 yr olds don't get the message. Oh, they do. They get it loud and clear & even more potent for their minds are sponges.

Again, the cast of Glee is not being asked to perform for 5yr olds. There is more to it than that. The group has talent. Very good talent. It also sends a very loud political message that some may accept of not; it's a free country. There is no debating there are reasons that group is being asked to perform.
Valid points. I felt the way you do before my oldest child reached middle school. But I now realize how things are changing; have been for a long time, but its definitely getting worse. I don't think most parents have a clue what is going on in the public schools and most of the time it doesn't involve "choice." I wouldn't believe it, except we are now experiencing it and I am fortunate to be a SAHM and be able to investigate these things. Here are a couple good books if you are interested: You're Teaching My Child What? by Marion Grossman, M.D., "From Crayons to Condoms" by Steve Baldwin and "Q*ueering Elementary Education" with a forward by our "Safe Schools Czar," Kevin Jennings. Good luck. You sound like a good parent.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:13 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,465,675 times
The solution to all the ills that our "morally bankrupt society" impresses upon our youth can easily be corrected through judicial application of involved parenting.

If you are afraid to broach a topic with your child and have a frank and honest age appropriate discussion at any point in their lives about material that they may be exposed to, then I highly recommend keeping them locked in the basement.

I've found that kids are far more in tune to things they see/hear around them then most parents give them credit for. They will pick a lot of things up, from TV, movies, school, books, internet, etc. You can't monitor them 24/7, the best you can do is be an engaged parent and confront issues when you see them creep up. Spongebob doesn't make your child stupid, Glee won't make them gay and video games won't turn them into a sociopath...they'll do all of that on their own.

So, stop trying to control the "message" and create your own message to your children about what is right and wrong based on your families set of moral beliefs. If you do your job and aren't afraid to discuss ANYTHING, then they will most likely make the decisions that you feel are right.

Why do you feel that your "tweens" aren't capable of discussing promiscuity and the consequences of salatial sex? Or is it that you don't feel comfortable with the discussion and/or fear what they're opinion may be on the issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting