Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 12:32 PM

786 posts, read 4,731,745 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid in the 1960s, I was outside playing most of the day every day in the summer. I lived in a medium sized town in the Midwest.

I go and visit this nice relatively well off crime free town of my youth on a regular basis and have one shocking question: What happened to the kids? I do not see any kids playing outside any more in my hometown--- or here in suburban DC. According to statistics, my home town does not have anymore crime against children than it did in 1967, when I was 10 years old. But for some reason very few kids are playing outside anymore.

How about in your hometown? Do kids play outside anymore without a parent around-- or away from organized activity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 12:40 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
I think it has to do with a number of things. One could be concerned parents. But what I think has a lot to do with it is computers, video games, and more to do on the inside vs outside. I was one of those kids that stayed outside all day long. But in the 70's where we lived, there wasnt anything to do if you stayed in the house. No games, no msn, no cell phones. We only had three channels on tv and who wanted to watch soaps? I try and get mine to go outside more, but when they do, there arent many kids out to play with, except late in the afternoon, maybe.

Last edited by arguy1973; 05-31-2007 at 12:52 PM..

Old 05-31-2007, 12:46 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,461 times
Yes. But I'm in the wilds of Maine. My son, age 8, doesn't even usually stop at the house when he gets off the bus- he heads straight over to his "river" (brook, stream, it's all of 3 feet wide and 2 feet deep!) which is through a short path in our woods. If he didn't have some issues (autism being the big one), I would let him go further than that. He spends a lot of time tying things up and making various contraptions outside (including a swing for our cat. Kitty didn't really like that one!).

I wouldn't feel comfortable with this if we lived in a less rural/more urban area, though.

I think many kids are so overscheduled or into TV/Computer/Video games that they don't know how to "just go out and play" without being given parameters, or they just don't have the time.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:50 PM

22 posts, read 84,813 times
When I was a kid I used to play outside all of the time. God, I used to walk a mile just to the bus stop! My son is now 12, when he was younger I used to let him play outside, but supervised! I was always leary of adult strangers and teen bullies (which we have a few of those around) and just safety in general. As he started to get older I would start to let him go out to the park next door and let him play by himself, but after he was bullied a few times by the teens, he wanted no part of it. I have offered to go out with him, but he said he is too old for that and would rather just stay home and hang out in his room. I have to say, I am at a bit of a loss. I have gotten my son involved with other activities to keep him social and active, but he really doesn't go out outside of those activities or when I bring him out. I think it really depends on what kind of neighborhood you have.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:59 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
I grew up in LOs Angeles - and no we didn't get to play outside much, not even ride my bike to my friend's house

But they did let me at age 5 walk the 8 blocks to school!

We had a big backyard - we mostly played there

Same with my kid - big backyard

Old 05-31-2007, 01:03 PM

206 posts, read 938,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Yes. But I'm in the wilds of Maine. My son, age 8, doesn't even usually stop at the house when he gets off the bus- he heads straight over to his "river" (brook, stream, it's all of 3 feet wide and 2 feet deep!) which is through a short path in our woods. If he didn't have some issues (autism being the big one), I would let him go further than that. He spends a lot of time tying things up and making various contraptions outside (including a swing for our cat. Kitty didn't really like that one!).

I wouldn't feel comfortable with this if we lived in a less rural/more urban area, though.

I think many kids are so overscheduled or into TV/Computer/Video games that they don't know how to "just go out and play" without being given parameters, or they just don't have the time.
I completely agree w/ you. Growing up, I lived on 60 acres, so my brother and I would play outside all the time, climbing trees, playing in mud, all kinds of fun "kid" stuff. Unfortunatley, we live in a subdivision, so not as many opportunities to play outside here in AZ (kinda hot). We do have a large backyard, so my daughter plays there, but it's not the same.

My daughter does a lot of creative activities indoors, she's not allowed to play video games/watch TV,etc. on a daily basis. She's always writing stories, making crafts, reading, or just playing. I think kids now days are way to plugged into "stuff", they are losing their imagination and creativity. It's sad.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:11 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
I would roam so far from home, that the signal to come home was three loud blast from my dads truck horn. If i stayed to close to home or said I was bored my mom or grandma would always find something for me to do.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:24 PM

743 posts, read 2,233,443 times
Dingler....Even though I didn't grow up in Maine, or have anywhere near 60 acres to paly....I grew up "living" outside as well. I was raised in a small town in PA and most kids in my neighborhood played outside daily. My husband's neighborhood street in Pittsburgh had almost 40 kids. Of course, just one generation ago, large families were more common and most mothers stayed at home.

Kids are either oversheduled with activiies, are in daycare or after school care or plugged into TV/comp/video games.....it's quite an epidemic tragedy, I think, especially amongst boys.

I live in No Va (outside DC) and am lucky to live in a neighborhood amongst a few other families with similar values. Our kids play outside alot...we even have a creek the older kids can walk to. I strictly limit the "electronics" in my house (although when they go to some other homes....I know they're exposed to alot more re quantity and content). My kids play outside alot... even amongst their lacrosse, football, ballet, piano and swim schedules

Old 05-31-2007, 01:27 PM

I think people today are a lot more rigid about property lines, too. When I was little, I swear I owned the whole coast of Maine- I never thought twice about (gently) walking through someone else's property to get to the shore or a friends house. Now, I don't think I would dare try it. I'm sure some of that comes from fear of accidents and lawsuits, but a lot of it is "This is mine. All Mine. You may not walk on it. I paid a lot for this land, and you did not.". I just wait until September when all of the ocean-front property owners go back to where ever it is that they live, and then enjoy the nature they paid a million for. What does it hurt, you know?

A lot of people I know had only one rule- come home when the streetlights come on.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:29 PM

Lol- My mother just used to yell as loud as she could (if I were down at the shore, I might have not heard, but man! She had a set of lungs on her!), and if I didn't come within a few minutes, would drive down to the shore and yell again!
Probably never thought about honking the horn, though- I bet her voice was louder!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting