Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:49 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,879,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
I can't believe she pee'd her pants until 5. Wow! All of our kids were potty trained by 18 months. It is really very easy if the PARENT is willing to be consistent with putting there kids on the toilet every hour whether they have to go or not. Kids who wear diapers until they are 4 or 5 usually have parents who have no idea how to do this.

Kids are not dumb. You need to give more credit to how smart children are at a very young age. By 18-24 months they know how to get away with things already.
I agree that kids are not dumb, sometimes it just takes the parents (myself included) time to work out the best way to deal with each individual child. A lot of parents don't start until the child is about 18 months, which may be as you pointed out, a large part of the problem. That especially applies to boys IMO.

My sister told me if I spanked his little butt, he'd be afraid of the potty. All I can tell you is that he didn't take me seriously until I did just that. From that point on I made it known to him that it's time, and no he doesn't have a choice. I've learned that sometimes, there is such a thing as TOO MUCH patience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 08:56 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,229,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
With one of mine, he was 3 and a half and it looked like he wasn't ever going to bother with getting potty trained so one day we put underpants on him and told him he was potty trained now and he had to start using the toilet. Or else. So he did and not a single accident, no bed wetting - it was obvious he was just being lazy and babyish and maybe stubborn.
...if only "Or else." worked for us.

Our's is 4 months away from being 4 yrs. On a daily basis he'll wet his pants twice (or more). He's not upset about it...or embarrassed. He'll just wet his pants without telling you and the next thing you know he's walking around naked from the waist down.....and that's our clue as to what just occurred.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:15 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,879,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
...if only "Or else." worked for us.

Our's is 4 months away from being 4 yrs. On a daily basis he'll wet his pants twice (or more). He's not upset about it...or embarrassed. He'll just wet his pants without telling you and the next thing you know he's walking around naked from the waist down.....and that's our clue as to what just occurred.
Mine would get super upset, but because I tried to be all nonchalant about it for so long, he never thought much about it. That's why I took him pants off him, and basicly told him it wasn't an option anymore and he wasn't getting his pants back until he used it.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:40 AM

6,418 posts, read 9,732,070 times
I don't have advice, but I have a funny story that might bring a laugh and relieve some of the frustrations lol

I was born in 1966, so I guess I was 2-3 years old doing the potty training. Like most kids I think I was probably told when you have to go pee, pull your pants down, or something along those lines.

A family friend was driving a dump truck for my dad and I was riding with him. He was 18 or 19 at the time. He is stopped at a red light and all of a sudden he hears a man yelling "here now, get your boy" he looks over and there I am standing on the truck seat(before car seat days), pants around my ankles going at it out the window, overlooking some guy with his window down haha

he almost got his butt kicked and I wasn't even his kid lol

Old 04-27-2010, 04:21 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,229,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
Mine would get super upset, but because I tried to be all nonchalant about it for so long, he never thought much about it. That's why I took him pants off him, and basicly told him it wasn't an option anymore and he wasn't getting his pants back until he used it.
If I thought that would work I would have already done it.

The kid doesn't care.

He would walk around naked at the mall like nothing was wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting