Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 02:32 PM

561 posts, read 1,512,528 times

Advertisements

Could somebody explain to me WHY piercing an INFANT'S ears IS NOT child abuse and/or endangerment!?!?

Don't hand me "cultural," because that is just plain wrong. The Japanese used to bind the feet of young girls, too; that was cultural but STILL WRONG! I think it is horrible to have an infant's ears pierced! Let her get older and decide if she wants her ears pierced.

I absolutely have nothing against pierced ears, my ears are pierced, but it was a decision that I made--and I was very, very young when I made that decision! Sheesh, for crying out loud already..... IMHO the practice IS child abuse and should be regarded as such! What's next....tatoos????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 03:12 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
Have you called CPS and asked them your questions? Don't forget to ask them about circumcision too.
Maybe you could organize marches and protests outside of the piercing pagoda?

I didn't pierce my infant's ears but it's hard to take your complaints seriously when you compare the practice to foot binding and tattoos. Come on, it's a pinch for just a second...no worse than the prick of an immunization.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:31 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
Because infant child abuse is a serious issue and very real. That is why. Beaten baby dies: Polk baby dies; Orlando man charged with beating baby - OrlandoSentinel.com

Mother denied bail in slaying of infant daughter - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/03/mother-of-slain-7-month-old-girl-charged-with-murder.html - broken link)

Old 03-13-2010, 04:42 PM

561 posts, read 1,512,528 times
Child abuse is serious. What you compare as a "pin prick" equivalent to an injection is not the issue -- the issue is "piercing an infant's ears." Why not just go ahead and tatoo them also. It's what the parent wants, not what the child/infant wants--heck, they can't even walk or talk yet! Jeez, how much more simple can I make it? I hate ALL forms of child abuse, I think those who abuse a child should be punished to the fullest extent of the law -- in my world, that punishment would be so much more severe! But you should NEVER, EVER pierce an infants ear - there is ABSOLUTELY no justifiable reason for it. I don't care "how much it may or may not hurt," it's the act! Sheesh....

Old 03-13-2010, 04:52 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
Oh for crying out loud. It's NOT abuse. You people take that word to extremes, which tells me you've lost a grip on reality. Don't even compare this to REAL abuse and the damage it does. I had mine pierced as a baby, and guess what? I'm not suffering from the effects nor do I have any "flashbacks" from it.

For crying out loud, complain about real abuse. This isn't it.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:57 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,598 times
Is this even for real? You thing someone should be punished as a child abuser for getting their kids ears done? Well take me to jail because I had my daughters ears done when she was a baby. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it is abuse. I have nothing else to say because this is just to crazy.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:21 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
Don't hand me "cultural," because that is just plain wrong. The Japanese used to bind the feet of young girls, too; that was cultural but STILL WRONG! I think it is horrible to have an infant's ears pierced! Let her get older and decide if she wants her ears pierced.
Frankly, on principle, I agree with you. But only if you are logical and apply the same ideals to circumcision. We cannot as parents, and society, protect one gender and not the other.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Frankly, on principle, I agree with you. But only if you are logical and apply the same ideals to circumcision. We cannot as parents, and society, protect one gender and not the other.
There are health and hygiene reasons for circumcism besides religious reasons but ear piercing has none at all, it's only done because people think it's cute or very fashionable to have holes in an infant's ears.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:24 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,988 times
I don't think piercing an infant's ears is a good idea ever, however, it is certainly not equal to child abuse which is a very REAL danger.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:00 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There are health and hygiene reasons for circumcism besides religious reasons but ear piercing has none at all, it's only done because people think it's cute or very fashionable to have holes in an infant's ears.
I suppose I see both practices as cultural in nature. Different POV perhaps.

I am also not a fan of docking puppies' ears nor declawing cats. But....that's just me. I guess you could say I'm happy with things the way mother nature intended them to be.

Do I think any of these people should be sent to jail or "criminalized" in any way? Absolutely not. Education is the key.

Last edited by plaidmom; 03-13-2010 at 06:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting