Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 11:50 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,428,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
From a behaviorist standpoint, reinforcing desired behavior only really works in the long term if the chosen reinforcement is a tool that is gradually faded out until the desired behavior has become embedded as habit, and is done for that reason, rather than specifically to access whatever the reward/reinforcer is. Long-term behavioral modification is done by at first reinforcing the desired behavior every time, and gradually making the reinforcement more sporadic, eventually fading it as the behavior becomes habitual and that particular reinforcement is no longer necessary.

Well said, and it works when done right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 03:23 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,438,093 times
Quote:
From a behaviorist standpoint, reinforcing desired behavior only really works in the long term if the chosen reinforcement is a tool that is gradually faded out until the desired behavior has become embedded as habit, and is done for that reason, rather than specifically to access whatever the reward/reinforcer is. Long-term behavioral modification is done by at first reinforcing the desired behavior every time, and gradually making the reinforcement more sporadic, eventually fading it as the behavior becomes habitual and that particular reinforcement is no longer necessary.
Good point. Some things parents do naturally fade. For example, paying for good grades isn't usually continued into college but by then, kids should have learned how to get them. Either they've learned to care enough to continue to work for them or they haven't and there's nothing you can really do at that point.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:12 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,679,685 times
I never bribed my kids to do anything. My daughter has asked me what I'll pay her to do some things I ask her to do. HAHAHAHA is all I can say. I tell her YOU LIVE HERE. How much do I get paid to do everything else? Zippo. Nothing. You're a part of a family and expected to do SOMETHING to participate in being a part of it.

Even when small, I never bribed or paid, just required.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,359,684 times
Bribes and reinforcement aren't the same thing, though, within the context of behavioral sciences. A reinforcer or reward is something that's contracted for prior to the person delivering on the desired behavior, and not received until after the behavior occurs. Bribes are given before the behavior occurs, in anticipation that the person will follow through on the agreed upon behavior after the payoff...which definitely doesn't always occur (to illustrate, think of a politician being paid off for promising to vote a certain way...and then not actually following through after accepting the bribe).

Reinforcing/reward systems also only work if the reinforcer is valued enough to make it worthwhile, and if it can't be easily obtained any other way.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:09 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,428,182 times
Quote:
Bribes and reinforcement aren't the same thing, though, within the context of behavioral sciences. A reinforcer or reward is something that's contracted for prior to the person delivering on the desired behavior, and not received until after the behavior occurs. Bribes are given before the behavior occurs, in anticipation that the person will follow through on the agreed upon behavior after the payoff...which definitely doesn't always occur (to illustrate, think of a politician being paid off for promising to vote a certain way...and then not actually following through after accepting the bribe).

Reinforcing/reward systems also only work if the reinforcer is valued enough to make it worthwhile, and if it can't be easily obtained any other way.

Again, I agree

Sadly, not all parents are up to the work involved in understanding this and following thru on it.

But like I said before, when done properly reinforcement (or reward) can be VERY effective. My father was skilled at this and turned out highly successful, self-motivated children as a result. I believe I have followed in his footsteps, as my sons are equally successful and self-motivated young men.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:34 PM

67 posts, read 107,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I never bribed my kids to do anything. My daughter has asked me what I'll pay her to do some things I ask her to do. HAHAHAHA is all I can say. I tell her YOU LIVE HERE. How much do I get paid to do everything else? Zippo. Nothing. You're a part of a family and expected to do SOMETHING to participate in being a part of it.

Even when small, I never bribed or paid, just required.
I agree with this SOO much! My husband and I don't get paid to wash the dishes, so why should they?

Old 03-15-2010, 09:10 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,679,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sproodle View Post
I agree with this SOO much! My husband and I don't get paid to wash the dishes, so why should they?
I know !! All I can do is laugh when I'm asked, 'What are you going to give me if I do that'? She knows it's no use asking, but she must think it doesn't hurt to try.

I have only given verbal reinforcement. It's more effective than anything material.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:21 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,376,368 times
We've never paid for regular household chores, those are expected as part of being a family....we do sometimes have opportunities to earn money doing "extras" however....The paint on the deck railing needs to be scraped then repainted, the garage needs to be cleaned out, there is more that a little weeding that needs to be done. These are not normal chores and typically aren't something I want to do either. It is sometimes worth it to me to pay someone else to do it.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:51 PM

67 posts, read 107,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
We've never paid for regular household chores, those are expected as part of being a family....we do sometimes have opportunities to earn money doing "extras" however....The paint on the deck railing needs to be scraped then repainted, the garage needs to be cleaned out, there is more that a little weeding that needs to be done. These are not normal chores and typically aren't something I want to do either. It is sometimes worth it to me to pay someone else to do it.

Yeah, those are execptions I make too. Since they don't get paid for chores, they can always come ask me for jobs to do such as cleaning garage, scraping out oven, etc. so they can have 10$ to go to a movie or wherever. The jobs have to be done to the best of their ability though.. just because they do it doesn't mean they're getting money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting