Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 12:31 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,859,862 times

Advertisements

I don't have a septic system but the plumbing in my building is really, um, crappy . (1980's construction in a comparatively low-coded area.). Anyone suggest a wipes brand for my toddler that will not destroy an easily ruptured plumbing system? I will observe my son and limit him to 2-3 wipes per flush. With diapers, we used the cotton, organic green box Walmart brand. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 12:55 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,674,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I will observe my son and limit him to 2-3 wipes per flush.
He wipes himself?? What's wrong with toilet paper?

Old 03-15-2010, 03:06 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,013,508 times
If you have reason to be concerned about your plumbing, I suggest putting a lidded garbage can in the bathroom for wipe disposal.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:31 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,871,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
If you have reason to be concerned about your plumbing, I suggest putting a lidded garbage can in the bathroom for wipe disposal.
I agree with both of these. I would use mostly toilet paper and if the wet wipe really helps with something messy, then use one and toss it into the trash.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:21 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,761,987 times
I would never throw wipes in the toilet, even if it says they are safe. I taught my kids to wipe with plain toilet paper, then wet it if need be and flush that. Or, an old baby washcloth always comes in handy, too. If wipes are really needed, then a covered trash can like someone already mentioned.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:43 PM

67 posts, read 107,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Exactly.. why spend your money on something unesesscary and risk ruining your plumbing system when there's toilet paper right beside him?

Old 03-16-2010, 03:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,636,560 times
WHY are you having a toddler use wipes at the toilet? Toilet paper is for toilets.

Your toddler needs to learn what's readily available at ALL toilets or he'll have potty issues when he has to use a toilet that only has toilet paper.

Wipes are used for diapers simply because everything gets crusted and mushed up against the skin. That doesn't happen when using a toilet.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:56 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,908,137 times
I am changing my post to this thread. I went ahead and googled it, mostly because we're purchasing a house with a septic tank.

What I found was this - "flushable" wipes are just smaller versions of regular baby wipes. TP takes an average of 8 seconds to break down. Researchers at Consumer Reports stopped counting the time on the "flushable wipes" after 30 seconds.

They recommend bagging the wipes and throwing them in the trash, and using regular baby wipes, as they are much cheaper than the smaller type.

Scary stuff - and glad this thread came up BEFORE we moved and I had raw sewage backing up!

BTW... I never saw anything get "crusted" in a diaper... perhaps changing them more often would help with that.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,636,560 times
Crusted was a poor choice of words.

I was merely pointing out the difficulty in cleaning an area where everything gets mashed against the skin as opposed to simply falling into a toilet.

btw, I never used wipes on my children. Wipes are what causes diaper rash. None of my children ever had diaper rash---not even once.

I used soap and water when I changed their diapers. Yep, I even carried water bottles in my diaper bag. It worked perfectly!

Old 03-17-2010, 01:13 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,674,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Crusted was a poor choice of words.

I was merely pointing out the difficulty in cleaning an area where everything gets mashed against the skin as opposed to simply falling into a toilet.

btw, I never used wipes on my children. Wipes are what causes diaper rash. None of my children ever had diaper rash---not even once.

I used soap and water when I changed their diapers. Yep, I even carried water bottles in my diaper bag. It worked perfectly!
Hopes, Hopes, Hopes... You're batting 1000 here. Your description of what goes on in a diaper is funny.

I never used wipes either. What a waste of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting