Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 05:08 PM

115 posts, read 273,982 times

Advertisements

Recently, I went to my son's band recital and most of the young ladies were in skirts. Unfortunately, most were also sitting with their legs spread. I called over the female band director and asked that she correct the situation. She looked over her shoulder, blanched and spoke quietly to each girl. Problem (mostly) solved.

I was taught from a young age how to sit, get in and out of a car, and how to kneel or squat in a skirt. It really doesn't look like much is being said to girls about this and other dressing issues.

It must be the style now, because I have seen so many young ladies wearing black bras under white shirts and the same color issue with pants.

At 41, I don't understand the "show them all you got" mentality. I guess its just a generational thing. Am I just hopelessly old fashion, or does this bother anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 05:18 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,996,281 times
This should be common sense, not something that needs to be taught.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:23 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
I remember driving along Guadalupe Blvd next to the high school in Mesa, Az. and seeing a couple of young girls who had apparently just left school for the day. One of them had the exposed skimpy panty thing going on that was several inches above her jeans and I'm fortunate that I didn't get into a car crash as I observed the details. I'm sorry to admit this but I really thought it was sexy. OK, forget about the part that I'm old enough to be her grandfather, I just couldn't help it.
Back in the last ice age when I was a young guy I can remember the girls in junior high school who wore these really short mini skirts that severely distracted my attention away from my school books. I realize that I'm a very sick individual but I see this as a good thing.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:32 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,258 times
I wonder if its because girls do not wear skirts as often as they used to?

I went to private school and wore a kilt so we had daily practice and awareness of how to sit, not bend over, etc... (I don't mean formal practice!).

Old 03-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,198,696 times
Common Sense is long dead! Girls aren't taught this because their mothers either didn't learn or want someone else to teach their children... (in general).

Girls don't wear skirts anymore - so theres really no ay for "common sense" to kick in or for someone to correct their behavior... the same with young kids mouthing off to authority figures/adults... young kids being disrespectful to their neighborhoods, their friends, their "stuff"....

Etiquette is no longer taught...

Old 03-16-2010, 05:52 PM

115 posts, read 273,982 times
I will quote a high school teacher and say "Common sense is only common to those of us who have it." I think most kids today don't have it. Recently at a gas station, I observed a young lady sitting in her car while the gas was pumping...and the car was running! She had no clue why she shouldn't do this, she had the nerve to ask why it wasn't ok. I wanted to tell her to READ the sign. But I calmly explained it to her. At least once a week I run into a situation where the lack of common sense smacks me in the face. lol

Old 03-16-2010, 05:57 PM

999 posts, read 4,651,901 times
I'm the same age, and it bothers me like crazy! My daughter, when she was younger and liked to wear skirts more, was always reminded to sit nicely with a skirt on, it still sometimes requires a gentle reminder, say, clear my throat to get her attention and just tap my own lap, but she rarely will get to the point of "showing" much. It's the parents who don't pay enough attention to their own children that have failed here.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:10 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppiepc View Post
I will quote a high school teacher and say "Common sense is only common to those of us who have it."
I'll bet if you actually were to take a count of how many girls at an elementary school concert were sitting with their legs open in a skirt versus how many boys are scratching their balls, it wouldn't even be close.

Not ALL girls sit with their legs spread wide open in a skirt. If they do, it's because they either aren't thinking about it or they forgot. So many skirts nowadays are "skorts" with built-in shorts underneath. My daughter is always sitting criss-cross with skirts on and I always have to remind her that she can't do that when she's got a skirt on. She's 7 and I imagine I'll have to reinforce this rule for a while. The reason the OP noticed this girl in particular was because she was the only one, right? That means there were dozens of other girls sitting appropriately. Let's not blow this out of proportion.

There have always been kids who act inappropriately from one generation to the next. Girls and boys put on stupid clothes that make them look ridiculous and they always will. Where your opinions fall in terms of a too-short skirt on a girl versus boys with their jeans all the way down their butts so their boxershorts are showing is purely a matter of what you notice first. Neither are appropriate.

And before people start with "well, in my generation, girls knew how to wear skirts" is ridiculous. My grandmother and all of my great aunts can attest to the fact that their skirts may have been appropriate for school, but as soon as they were out of school, the skirts got hiked up (and yes, I understand that "hiked up" is not the same as it is now, but it was still considered a no-no) and my grandma is 80!

Old 03-16-2010, 06:21 PM

324 posts, read 573,440 times
I think, a good manners are a weakness of many Americans. We don't even have to go as far as talking about how to ware a skirt.
A few examples:
People (especially young ones) do not say Hello/Good Morning when entering a room/house, where another human is present at the given moment.
People often do not introduce themselves after picking up the phone.
Salesperson would ask you "How can I help", then turns her head away, and finishes the talk with her cooworker.
Man is offering a hand (to shake) to a woman when introducing himself.
The list could go on. I've experienced a lot of surprises when I moved to The US, long time ago. Do not misunderstand, I'm not criticising anyone, just brought up some observations, since this thread seems to be about manners.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:27 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppiepc View Post
I will quote a high school teacher and say "Common sense is only common to those of us who have it." I think most kids today don't have it. Recently at a gas station, I observed a young lady sitting in her car while the gas was pumping...and the car was running! She had no clue why she shouldn't do this, she had the nerve to ask why it wasn't ok. I wanted to tell her to READ the sign. But I calmly explained it to her. At least once a week I run into a situation where the lack of common sense smacks me in the face. lol
Or "common sense is not common!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting