Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 01:46 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,673,217 times

Advertisements

IMO, counseling is NEVER a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 02:02 PM

108 posts, read 507,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
IMO, counseling is NEVER a good idea.
Tell me you're kidding! Counseling is never a good idea for anyone at anytime? What would make you say that unless you had a bad counseling experience? I'm not saying it's the right answer in this case (might be, might not be) but NEVER?

Old 03-23-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiques55 View Post
Tell me you're kidding! Counseling is never a good idea for anyone at anytime? What would make you say that unless you had a bad counseling experience?
Never. And no, no bad experiences. My opinion is that counseling is foolish.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:25 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,950,501 times
thanks for all the suggestions and no the child gets punished when she does something out of line or against house rules and she gets spanked when the crime warrants spanking . Her mother has tried taking her things too did not work at all she did not care . I think her dad has alot to do with this . I think she thinks if she misbehaves enough she will get to go to her dads . my sister is at her wits end because of this child and it embarasses her too . Her mother is so stressed about it that she tries to go to her room and calm down and the child starts doing something else to misbehave . she has gone to counseling with this child and was told there does not seem to be anything wrong typical american family is what the counselor told her . I think she will grow out of it eventually and hope she does not end up injail .

Old 03-23-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
thanks for all the suggestions and no the child gets punished when she does something out of line or against house rules and she gets spanked when the crime warrants spanking . Her mother has tried taking her things too did not work at all she did not care . I think her dad has alot to do with this . I think she thinks if she misbehaves enough she will get to go to her dads . my sister is at her wits end because of this child and it embarasses her too . Her mother is so stressed about it that she tries to go to her room and calm down and the child starts doing something else to misbehave . she has gone to counseling with this child and was told there does not seem to be anything wrong typical american family is what the counselor told her . I think she will grow out of it eventually and hope she does not end up injail .
As difficult as it may be, and the mother's pride would undoubtedly be take a blow, but have they ever even thought about allowing the girl to live with her father? She lives in a house with women, maybe she needs the father influence.

If it's her father she wants, and is acting out by taking things that don't belong to her, by the time she's 12, 13 or 14, she will be having sex with guys to compensate for what is missing (her father).

No matter what anybody thinks of him, if he isn't a child molester, she deserves that connection and NEEDS that connection.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:09 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,330,087 times
Quote:
My sisters grand daughter has picked up the habit of taking things and hiding them . I mean everyones things . Well it seems as though she has done it at school now and her teacher called her a thief . Well the teacher called her mother and told her what had happened and admited to calling her a thief . My sister told me that when they got home my niece spanked her daughter on her rear end severly as my sister tells it and she said she was going to say something but her daughter was so angry that she felt like she could not say anything to her . I told my sister I thought her daughter did the right thing . My sister has the daughter and the granddaughter living with her . This child takes everyones things and hides them and then when asked she says she did nt . In other words she also lies about it too . Im just wondering how the rest of you would have handled it ?
this sometimes happens if a child has experienced the loss of someone close, or separation

Old 03-24-2010, 07:13 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,950,501 times
They have asked the father and he said no she could not come live with him because his g/f would and could not stand the child if she started taking her things and hiding them . He said that his g/f does not have the patience for children and he does not want to "rock the boat " so to speak . The g/f has no children and she has made it clear that she does not want any nor does she want anyone elses kids . So unfortunately the father is not an option and the child knows this . He has to take the girl to the park or a restaraunt for his visits and they are never wknd visits . I think this is a shame .

Old 03-24-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
They have asked the father and he said no she could not come live with him because his g/f would and could not stand the child if she started taking her things and hiding them . He said that his g/f does not have the patience for children and he does not want to "rock the boat " so to speak . The g/f has no children and she has made it clear that she does not want any nor does she want anyone elses kids . So unfortunately the father is not an option and the child knows this . He has to take the girl to the park or a restaraunt for his visits and they are never wknd visits . I think this is a shame .
Is there a grandfather or uncle who could be a male influence in her life? Someone who can take her for outings and spend some time talking with her?

Is there a big sister/brother program in your area? Local universities usually have a mentoring program for local kids.

It sounds like she needs someone who she can spend some time with who will focus on talking with her and giving her a way to express herself in a positive way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting