Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 10:05 AM

4,156 posts, read 10,988,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
But I think we in America are getting away from the aspect of personal responsibility and common sense.

Exactly my point. And I do feel that common sense and personal responsibility are components of Darwinism in our case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 10:22 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,141,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Exactly my point. And I do feel that common sense and personal responsibility are components of Darwinism in our case.
Sure...it's just too bad it's the kids who die because their parents are stupid.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Sure...it's just too bad it's the kids who die because their parents are stupid.
Yes. It is sad. Reproducing and rearing kids is not a simple task, and humans are not perfect.
What really ticks me off though is that the litigious nature of our society is a huge part of it all.
We all make mistakes, unfortunately sometimes those mistakes are fatal.

Some people are completely frakkin' stupid and shouldn't be parents in the first place....exhibit A:

//www.city-data.com/forum/paren...baby-into.html

Old 03-27-2010, 10:44 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,141,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Yes. It is sad. Reproducing and rearing kids is not a simple task, and humans are not perfect.
What really ticks me off though is that the litigious nature of our society is a huge part of it all.
We all make mistakes, unfortunately sometimes those mistakes are fatal.

Some people are completely frakkin' stupid and shouldn't be parents in the first place....exhibit A:

//www.city-data.com/forum/paren...baby-into.html
Yes, and to quote the famous scholar Keanu Reeves in the movie Parenthood...."You need a license to drive a car or to catch a fish. But any idiot can become a parent."

I read stories like this and it's a good reminder to me to keep my eyes on the prize. I am doing my best to raise my kids to take responsibility for their actions and to correct things that are not going well. I can only hope that there are more parents like me than like those listed above. Our culture is a "survival of the fittest" and I am doing my best to raise my daughters to be productive, responsible citizens who control their own destinies.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, and to quote the famous scholar Keanu Reeves in the movie Parenthood...."You need a license to drive a car or to catch a fish. But any idiot can become a parent."

I read stories like this and it's a good reminder to me to keep my eyes on the prize. I am doing my best to raise my kids to take responsibility for their actions and to correct things that are not going well. I can only hope that there are more parents like me than like those listed above. Our culture is a "survival of the fittest" and I am doing my best to raise my daughters to be productive, responsible citizens who control their own destinies.
+1 for the Keanu Reeves quote! I had forgotten that one! That is a great movie...my kids were just spinning around in the hallway and it made me think of one of Steve Martin's kids in that movie!
LOL!

You sound like you are doing a great job with your girls...I've got a lovely boy and girl myself..(most of the time)

Old 03-29-2010, 09:17 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,910,721 times
Quote:
My kids were in their baby carriers all the time but I had my hands under their butts 95% of the time and would only take my hands away from holding them for a few seconds to grab something that required 2 hands. A sling is not meant to be used as a way to haul your baby around with you while never checking on them. A sling was invented to allow parents to free up their hands periodically and to ease the strain of carrying a baby on your hip and lower the potential of dropping them.

Again, my heart goes out to the parents because I am sure they will be haunted by this forever. But I think we in America are getting away from the aspect of personal responsibility and common sense. It's not Infantino's fault that these babies died, but no one wants to pointedly ask the parents why they left their babies unchecked for so long. I said it before, my youngest daughter loved her Infantino sling (the exact one that was recalled) and now instead of saying it was an accident, Infantino is going to lose millions of dollars over the fact that a few parents (out of millions) didn't use the item correctly.
Actually, the issue with this type of sling (the bag sling) in general (which the Infantino is just the most popular brand of), is that it causes a problem even when it IS used according to manufacturers instructions. This is not a case of parents using it incorrectly, it is a case of the product being inherently unsafe.

Baby Carriers - Correct Positioning & Safety
sleeping baby productions | Is my sling safe?
Nurture Baby...Naturally: What is exactly is a bag sling?

Old 03-29-2010, 09:57 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,963,326 times
Quote:
Are you serious? YOUR mom did that too? It must come from being pregnant; something that's in the pre-natal vitamins that burrows into our brains during delivery. I STILL do that to my 16 year old, and she was always in a carseat. Never any need, but I still do it.
LOL! This is crazy, but I do it too, and there's never anyone in the passenger seat! My kids are still young enough to have to sit in the back! ROFL

Old 03-29-2010, 02:48 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,679,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
LOL! This is crazy, but I do it too, and there's never anyone in the passenger seat! My kids are still young enough to have to sit in the back! ROFL
Then it HAS to be in the vitamins or maybe we're born with it. I throw my arm across the front seat when I'm all alone in the car, AND when my daughter is in the seat next to me. She thinks I'm nuts, but I tell her one day it will be her turn.

I'm sure we weren't taught that in Driver's Ed... . Hmmmm

It HAS to be a mother thing, because I've NEVER seen a man do it.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:01 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,963,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Then it HAS to be in the vitamins or maybe we're born with it. I throw my arm across the front seat when I'm all alone in the car, AND when my daughter is in the seat next to me. She thinks I'm nuts, but I tell her one day it will be her turn.

I'm sure we weren't taught that in Driver's Ed... . Hmmmm

It HAS to be a mother thing, because I've NEVER seen a man do it.
No, my DH does it too... but I think he might be trying to cop a feel at the same time....

Old 03-29-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Actually, the issue with this type of sling (the bag sling) in general (which the Infantino is just the most popular brand of), is that it causes a problem even when it IS used according to manufacturers instructions. This is not a case of parents using it incorrectly, it is a case of the product being inherently unsafe.

Baby Carriers - Correct Positioning & Safety
sleeping baby productions | Is my sling safe?
Nurture Baby...Naturally: What is exactly is a bag sling?
It's nice of you to provide the links, but really. Where is the common sense? All of use have had kids in a "bag" type sling at one point or another, and the kids are alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting