Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 10:24 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

CHICAGO - Trendy wheeled sneakers that let kids zip down sidewalks, across playgrounds and through mall crowds could also send them rolling into emergency rooms on a stretcher, say doctors who blame a rash of injuries on the international craze.

It's called "heeling," named after Heelys, the most popular brand. They're sold in 70 countries and are so hot that their Carrollton, Texas, maker, Heelys Inc., recently landed atop BusinessWeek's annual list of fastest growing companies.

Doctors say roller shoes injuring kids - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 10:31 PM

989 posts, read 2,761,881 times
I always suspected that those stupid things were going to lead to injury (plus they don't make them in adult sizes)

Old 06-05-2007, 11:12 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,412 times
I'm still holding a grudge against my mother for not allowing me a skateboard.

Of course they're dangerous! Life is dangerous! Bathrooms and kitchens maim and kill more people every year than all violent crime combined. Should we eat cold pre-cut and pre-packaged and go back to outhouses and chamber pots? If my kid is stupid enough to wheelie down a steep streep that ends in a busy intersection then I'm a lousy parent and my kid's stupid. If my kid is using the thing and gets injured doing something reasonable, well shoot happens.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:29 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,028,777 times
I can't say that this surprises me.

I'm sure they will be banned soon, just like everything else that teaches kids to handle a few scrapes and bruises like men, i.e. jungle gyms, monkey bars, balance beams, see-saws, etc.

I throw up a little in my mouth every time I pass a plastic playground with no equipment built higher than two feet off the ground.

God forbid that today's kids learn about physics the same way we did.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:02 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,732,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
I can't say that this surprises me.

I'm sure they will be banned soon, just like everything else that teaches kids to handle a few scrapes and bruises like men, i.e. jungle gyms, monkey bars, balance beams, see-saws, etc.

I throw up a little in my mouth every time I pass a plastic playground with no equipment built higher than two feet off the ground.

God forbid that today's kids learn about physics the same way we did.
I don't think they'll be banned, but there may be lawsuits from parents who like to blame everyone but themselves because NATURALLY, they are just so perfect.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:53 AM

797 posts, read 2,991,964 times
My oldest child (11yr girl) has been begging me for these things for 6 months! I'm not sure she would want them so much if I told her she could only use them while wearing safety gear, which I require when using her bike, scooter, skate board, and in-line skates. I do not "baby" my kids and bumps and bruises will and should happen but I'm also not going to put my kids in danger for serious injury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting