Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 12:47 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,628,858 times

Advertisements

I'm in my 40's with a 13 yr. Old who absolutely loves it. She loves shopping at Hot Topic and enjoys checking out Manga's or buying them. She has recently talked to me about Cosplaying and going to comiccons and animecons. I also watch them with her, and she love's quizzing me! So far she's been watching Black Butler, Attack of the Titans, Our an High School Host Club, Blue Exorcist, Bleach, Durarara, Fairy Tale, Full Metal Alchemist and very recently, One Punch Man.
She started playing violin last year and before that, and even now, loves video games. I think it's actually helped her socially, because she's not into sports or cheer leading or trying to be "popular" like many of her peers (middle school...yay!). She's found a like minded group of teen girls and boys who are into the same thing, and now she has something in common with her peers. She got picked for robotics this year, which I think because anime brought out her creative side, and she loves that they can create something.
She is learning to love classical music and jazz music because of the awesome soundtracks, and she practices her violin harder because she wants to be able to play like those musicians Somehow, she discovered the Hamilton Soundtrack and has most of the songs memorized and wants to see it when it starts touring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 12:55 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,502,588 times
My daughter, now 21, is/was really into anime. She was the president of the H.S. anime club, attended Youmacon, watched anime non stop and read animae, talked animae, dressed up as anime. She still does a little bit but she has grown out of most of it. She has not taken the onepiece sword I got her off the wall in several years now. She quit going to Youmacon she said she was too old for it. Now she is more involved with the society for creative anacronism (SCA). Similar concept actually, just historical rather than fantasy.

I do not see that it hurt her in any way. She was not very social and it allowed her to make friends. Sure they are friends at the social fringe, but there is nothing wrong with that. They are loyal friends. It was her "thing" Everyone needs a "thing"

Some anime is actually really good. Have you seen totoro, kiki's delivery service, howls moving castle? Some of them are stupid. A lot of them are violent and/or sexual, but not really more than typical R rated movies.

I remember dropping her off at Youmacon when she was about 14 or 15 and being very nervous about leaving her a a convention with 10,000 "wierdos" I decided I would stay with her while she waited in line to register (we arrived about an hour before registration opened). After observing the other anime "freaks" and their clumsy awkward efforts to flirt with her (or more often hide from her), I realized it was just a bunch of shy geeky harmless kids. Maybe a little immature, but nothing wrong with them. Not freaks at all, just kids who enjoy something a little different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting