Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:01 PM

337 posts, read 1,427,607 times

Advertisements

My daughter, 19 tomorrow, is so in to this stuff! I try to tolerate it, as I know it is an interest of hers, but it's to the point where it dictates her every move! She will only buy clothing at Hot Topic, wears black every day, watches Full Metal Alchemist, Bleach, etc....and as far as reading goes now it's getting worse.....Johnny the Homicidal Maniac Comics (although I don't see the humor in this?), I Feel Sick comics, Happy Tree Friends, etc. They call them "graphic novels".

Any other parents out there dealing with teens or other children who seem to be completely swallowed up by this stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 02:15 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,676,169 times
My 16 year old daughter hates the stuff, BUT she says there are a lot of kids in her high school that are so into it that that's all they talk about. They also do the dressing, reading, draw the stuff all the time and are completely immersed in it.

I thought it was a regional thing, but this is kind of alarming.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:50 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,080,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecovringKrspyKremeAddict View Post
My daughter, 19 tomorrow, is so in to this stuff! I try to tolerate it, as I know it is an interest of hers, but it's to the point where it dictates her every move! She will only buy clothing at Hot Topic, wears black every day, watches Full Metal Alchemist, Bleach, etc....and as far as reading goes now it's getting worse.....Johnny the Homicidal Maniac Comics (although I don't see the humor in this?), I Feel Sick comics, Happy Tree Friends, etc. They call them "graphic novels".

Any other parents out there dealing with teens or other children who seem to be completely swallowed up by this stuff?
You described my daughter about five years ago.

She read more than manga, but most of her non-fiction reading was still in the fantasy genre. I still have some of the costumes she made hanging in an upstairs closet.

As long as your daughter is keeping up with her schoolwork/ grades (I'm guessing she's still in school?) I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:48 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,017,842 times
Your daughter is 19...and you're still concerned about her reading matter?
People are married at 19...in college...

She's old enough to pick her own reading material and live how she wants. It's a real big thing in Japan among older kids/teens.

Are you sure you don't mean 9?

Old 03-25-2010, 07:35 PM

37,048 posts, read 41,998,003 times
Yes, my kids are into anime big time. Not to the exclusion of everything else though, it came with an interest in video games as well. LOL. It was a factor in my daughter going off to college to major in computer graphics/animation. And my 19 year old son has TWO costumes in his closet that he has worn to Fananime...the annual anime convention. My other son recently vacationed in Japan where anime is king and folks even dress the part. Some of it is pretty interesting, I enjoyed Full Metal Alchemist myself.

The Hot Topic thing..well they grew out of that after highschool for the most part. If your daughter has friends and a social life I wouldn't worry too much.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:15 PM

337 posts, read 1,427,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Your daughter is 19...and you're still concerned about her reading matter?
People are married at 19...in college...

She's old enough to pick her own reading material and live how she wants. It's a real big thing in Japan among older kids/teens.

Are you sure you don't mean 9?
Well, yes....*some* people are married at 19....in college.....etc. I guess I should have mentioned that my daughter is high-functioning autistic and is a full time special education student in her Sr. year of high school. I am concerned for her because it is an autistic tendency to resist change and she is often unaware of what kind of impression she leaves on others. Other students?...not a big problem. But....adults, such as at a job interview where she needs to leave anime-dress behind.......something different.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:44 PM

15,966 posts, read 20,939,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
You described my daughter about five years ago.

She read more than manga, but most of her non-fiction reading was still in the fantasy genre. I still have some of the costumes she made hanging in an upstairs closet.

As long as your daughter is keeping up with her schoolwork/ grades (I'm guessing she's still in school?) I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Ditto.
My daughter is a young adult now, still into anime and manga, (BTW I laughed myself silly over some of the dark humor of Johnny THM and Happy Bunny kills me ) and likes a lot of the J-pop, J-rock, etc. I doubt she'll ever completely lose her interest in it.
However her interest has become a lot less intense as she has had to begin to focus on more adult type things like driving, and working, and paying bills.
Also, when she started working she was pretty much forced to talk about topics other than anime to her coworkers.

Once your daughter is out of school and had a little more time and more exposure to new people she'll most likely make some adjustments.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:32 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,727,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecovringKrspyKremeAddict View Post
Well, yes....*some* people are married at 19....in college.....etc. I guess I should have mentioned that my daughter is high-functioning autistic and is a full time special education student in her Sr. year of high school. I am concerned for her because it is an autistic tendency to resist change and she is often unaware of what kind of impression she leaves on others. Other students?...not a big problem. But....adults, such as at a job interview where she needs to leave anime-dress behind.......something different.
This could be her chance to "bond" with other kids who are into anime as well. I don't know what her social skills are like but maybe try to look at this as an opportunity for her to find her own "thing". I know a lot of kids on the spectrum are having a hard time fitting in and maybe this could be it for her? I' m the mother of a little boy on the spectrum so we've often talked about these things.. He seems to be already really into video games and who knows, maybe that'll be his thing. We can't really "shape" the spectrum kids to be into what we want them to do.

I personally don't find anything wrong with anime, it's a huge thing for many, even adults! It's pretty harmless actually.. Good luck!

Old 08-28-2016, 09:29 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,090,872 times
ya, most of my fellow cs majors were into that sort of stuff while in college. I had normal interests like sports, fashion, cooking, etc.

nerd culture is big.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:27 PM

537 posts, read 593,440 times
Why do you have to "deal" with it? There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I'm in my 40s and still watch anime from time to time, some of the same shows as your daughter. Yes, I'm a nerd.

By the way, those shows you quoted encourage a lot of positive things like hard work and treating others with love and respect. They also encourage intellectual curiosity and the shows do get quite philosophical. Bleach and Full Metal Alchemist are great shows compared to most of the garbage your daughter could be watching on TV and on Netflix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting