Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 06:44 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,755,318 times

Advertisements

This thread is 3 years old. I hope the OP found a solution before now.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:07 PM

15,704 posts, read 9,409,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna-isms View Post
My child is listening to heavy metal satanic music, is this a physiological problem?
My mom was mortified when she found out my sister was listening to AC/DC back in the early 80s. Before them, it probably would have been Black Sabbath. Now they sell AC/DC t-shirts in Wal Mart and use Black Sabbath to advertise Marvel Comics movies with Robert Downey Jr.
Quote:
She is a junior in high school, never had a boyfriend before, doesn't have any friends that she really talks too, and gets bad grades.
The bad grades are the more serious concern here along with not having many friends. But you're serious worried about the music she listens to?
Quote:
I am concerned about her doing witchcraft or committing suicide. What should I do? I have taken her to a phycriatist but all she said was that your daughter is depressed.
Good for the doc to kinda break it down for you. He has told you she is depressed, yet you're still dwelling on the music she listens to. I feel bad for your daughter in tis regard.
Quote:
She grew up in a Christian household and anything like heavy metal would not be allowed.
And now you know why she listens to it, at least partly. Deny a child one thhing and that's all they want.
Quote:
What should be my next step?
Be there for her. Love her. Listen to her. And concentrate on the serious matters you posted about -- her depresion, for starters.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:27 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,426,048 times
Well I try to be a good parent but sometimes I like certain music. We were listening to the radio on the way to church and Ozzy's new song about God being dead came on -- I already knew the lyrics weren't bad at all but I still made a comment and my son immediately said "It's not what you might think, he says in there that he doesn't believe God is dead" but my kids will not let me listen to Marilyn Manson songs. They will turn the station and say "what kind of crap are you listening to?" or "don't listen to the devil stuff" but AC/DC and Ozzy Osborne aren't satanic.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:44 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,410,438 times
She's probably
Quote:
listening to heavy metal satanic music
because
Quote:
She grew up in a Christian household

Old 08-05-2013, 07:20 AM

1,485 posts, read 1,806,868 times
She's just curious. Let her listen.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:33 PM

2,441 posts, read 3,414,897 times
I love hard rock too. But then, I am not 17 anymore and music has gotten a lot more intense in so many ways that might be unperceivable to younger people. But does listening to violent muusic actually contribute to destructive behavior? Well we are all different in what we can handle. But at least one in case—that of a 14-year-old youth who stabbed his mother to death and then killed himself. The walls of his room were covered with posters of heavy-metal rock idols. His father pleaded afterward: "Tell parents to watch what music their children listen to!" He said that the week before his son killed his mother, he kept singing a rock song about blood and killing your mother."

Then there are role-playing games, some of which allow participants to take on the role of sorcerers and other occult figures. Many of these games feature demonistic violence. Nevertheless, the research organization Mediascope reports: "Studies show that the preference for heavy metal music may be a significant indicator for alienation, substance abuse, psychiatric disorders, suicide risks... or risk-taking behaviors among younger people, but music is not the cause of these behaviors. It is hypothesized that teenagers already struggling with those issues may be attracted to heavy metal music, because the lyrics express their own troubled feelings." Researchers may not all agree on the dangers of listening to satanic music. But could a diet of videos, music, or games that highlight violence or self-destruction be entirely harless? None of us can speak for everyone on the answer. Mature discernment is best, imo.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,426,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
I love hard rock too. But then, I am not 17 anymore and music has gotten a lot more intense in so many ways that might be unperceivable to younger people. But does listening to violent muusic actually contribute to destructive behavior? Well we are all different in what we can handle. But at least one in case—that of a 14-year-old youth who stabbed his mother to death and then killed himself. The walls of his room were covered with posters of heavy-metal rock idols. His father pleaded afterward: "Tell parents to watch what music their children listen to!" He said that the week before his son killed his mother, he kept singing a rock song about blood and killing your mother."

Then there are role-playing games, some of which allow participants to take on the role of sorcerers and other occult figures. Many of these games feature demonistic violence. Nevertheless, the research organization Mediascope reports: "Studies show that the preference for heavy metal music may be a significant indicator for alienation, substance abuse, psychiatric disorders, suicide risks... or risk-taking behaviors among younger people, but music is not the cause of these behaviors. It is hypothesized that teenagers already struggling with those issues may be attracted to heavy metal music, because the lyrics express their own troubled feelings." Researchers may not all agree on the dangers of listening to satanic music. But could a diet of videos, music, or games that highlight violence or self-destruction be entirely harless? None of us can speak for everyone on the answer. Mature discernment is best, imo.
I would not like real satanic music but a lot of what gets called satanic isn't satanic at all.

Also with a lot of heavy metal, you might not know or care about the lyrics but I don't think the lyrics are any worse than in many other kinds of songs.

Look at Tom Jone's song "Delilah", it's not heavy metal at all but might glorify domestic violence and stalking.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:02 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,144,685 times
Quote:
I am concerned about her doing witchcraft--
Moderator Cut

And maybe...OMG, just maybe...she listened to...*gasp* Marilyn Manson, too!

All I can think of here is Marguerite Perrin.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-06-2013 at 12:58 AM.. Reason: rude remark

Old 08-07-2013, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,949 times
Smile I understand. single father of a teen girl.

Quote:
My child is listening to heavy metal satanic music, is this a physiological problem?

She is a junior in high school, never had a boyfriend before, doesn't have any friends that she really talks too, and gets bad grades.

I am concerned about her doing witchcraft or committing suicide. What should I do? I have taken her to a phycriatist but all she said was that your daughter is depressed.

She grew up in a Christian household and anything like heavy metal would not be allowed.

What should be my next step?
I can tell you that I do worry at times because a lot has happened to my daughter and I felt the music and her bad friends had a lot to do with it. However; I think more and more that it was just the people and I need to help her with the depression more. Do scare your self to much . just relax and talk to her and let her know what you worry about and then let her know you are there for her. let her grow up and work on giving her help and tell her if she would like to talk to a MFT just for her to talk to someone outside of family. It really help my girl and me. dont listen to these people being negative to you on this page. you love your child and that is okay. It just hard to see them grow up to being their own person. comunication is the best think and let her come to you at times. take care I understand.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,565 times
You shouldn't blame the fact that she was christian raised into hands because I was as well. I am now and atheist though. But mostly try and talk to her about why she is depressed or what happened to get her to that point. Don't blame the music because that could just **** her off. She could get mad about that.. just ask. Maybe she likes that music because I do. I mean it speaks to people in different ways. SO just ask and dont blame belief or music and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting