Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:40 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,010,520 times

Advertisements

Yeah, 10 boyfriends by junior high is hardly 'good Christian behavior.'

Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,133,387 times
Metallica's version of Turn the Page is just wrong in so many ways. Bland, predictable and so not metal. If she is listening to this, I would be concerned and burn her IPod.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:21 AM

88,040 posts, read 83,846,650 times
And don't forget, this would all not be happening if you had cooked fresh food every night like the Europeans do.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:15 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,265,165 times
OMG!!!! it sounds like the troll ( I mean OP) has a classic teenager! Look around... metal is back (thank God!) The whole genre is back... from converse (now called chucks by teens) to the big hair. My son is loving it.... he always felt he missed out by being born in the early 90's when grunge killed off what was left of metal.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:48 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,075,846 times
LOL. The only thing this thread needs is some popcorn.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/surfinamma/smiley2eatingpopcorn.gif (broken link)

Old 03-26-2010, 01:02 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,481,658 times
Wow...this was a really fun read. It made my Friday go by a little quicker.

So, dad died, mom joined a Christian cult and tried to brainwash daughter into it, so daughter rebels by listening to metal and becoming the anti-mom. As for mom's 10 boyfriends in junior high, that's OK because Jesus washed away the sins when she took a dunk in the kiddie pool on the altar at her local cult..er, church.

Teen is dealing with losing dad and being a teen by finding outlets for her feelings through music. Mom is doing the same thing by burying herself in her religion.

Anyway, if this is real, stop trying to shove your beliefs down your kids throat. I believe most religions (even the Amish) tolerate a bit of teen angst and exploration of the world and questioning of their faith. It's a healthy part of developing faith and finding yourself. You taught her your way while she was growing up and she is trying to see what else is out there. Let the bird out of her cage and let her expand her horizons. The more toleration you have of her explorations, feelings and beliefs, the more respect she will have for yours. I'm sure that God will forgive her even if she sacrifices a black cat in a pentagram while sitting under a ladder (apologies to all the actual Satanists and Wiccans I offended with that last statement).

I think, if it is true, she may have some depression issues and other things going on. You should be thankful that she is trying to cope through music and not by throwing herself at boys for some companionship. I think you really need to lighten up on the religious line (it may be hard for you) but if you don't you will lose your daughter...not to the world, just to you for being a close minded bigot who shunned her in her time of need, because what she chose to find meaning in, you couldn't even try to tolerate or understand.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:25 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,536,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna-isms View Post
Thank you so much. This is the best reply post in this thread. About activities she doesn't go to church with me anymore. Thing is, this began happening after I found out she listens to such trash. At the time she our pastor said that she doesn't seem to be so into her Bible studies as she had been in the past. I had always thought she enjoyed church and like spending time with me especially after my husbands death. I do not think that heavy metal music would be a result of grieving but the bad grades could. She has been hiding her reports cards from me I had to call the school just to check and see how she is doing academically. And I did not get a good report. So I have decided to have study time just like we did back when she was in elementary school. I am reluctant to spend money on a tutor because I know she is very intelligent, I honestly think that she is getting bad grades because of the i dont feel like doing this attitude. If she won't comply I will take her sources of non-christian entertainment away like her CD's, and use parental controls on our cable service. Maybe I should just get rid of the CD's altogether. what is wrong with satanism? everything. i don't want her doing witchcraft and worshiping the devil. It will certainly not be tolerated in this house. Satanism as you can tell from it's name, is quite self-explanatory. I read somewhere that they use animal sacrifices, conjure up evil spirits and demons, practice witchcraft, and other weird crazy stuff like that. As a Christian, one should know how to stop anti-God religions by getting to know the religion and to bring and end to it's blind followers. It;s our job to let them know that Jesus loves them and will have a home for them in the kingdom of heaven when they die. If I catch her doing witchcraft or even think shes doing it I will talk to our pastor about it. We are like family at our church. She has grown up around these people so I am not afraid that they will judge me as a bad parent because I know they know that I am a good christian mother. I didn't raise her to listen to evil, satanic music. She had listened to what I had listened to when I was growing up. Gospel & classic country music. Anything else like rock n roll and God forbid heavy metal music would have not been tolerated.

Um... first off, Witchcraft (Wicca) has nothing to do with Satan. Period. Maybe she is branching out away from Christianity and starting to figure out her own way in life. When I was her age, I started reading up on all kinds of religions/belief systems and I'm very glad I did so.

Why don't you get her a music instrument? She's simply trying out new music, but if you channeled that into something else, it could really benefit her. Maybe get her a simple acoustic guitar and a few books, maybe a few lessons even. It could help her express herself better. I know it helped me.

Of course, my parents let me branch out artistically from a very young age and laughed when I brought home early NWA albums. You think 'black metal' is bad? Listen to some early gangsta rap from the late 90s and early 90s.

The less you 'tolerate' the more she's going to rebel. Try channeling that energy into something good, like creating music. Of course, what do I know...I'm just a college educated Atheist and part time musician with Agnostics for parents and a Pagan Grandmother who didn't even go on her first date until she was nearly 19

Old 03-26-2010, 03:09 PM

8 posts, read 22,076 times
Okay I think some people aren't reading what I said and just bashing me for really no reason. (You have all been reported to the moderaters on these post forums, just a heads up)

For clarification I didnt NOT have 10 boyfriends while in JUNIOR HIGH. I don't know where this notion came from. By the time I was about her age in HIGH SCHOOL junior to senior (11th or 12th grade) I had already been in 10 relationships. I WAS YOUNG. THE ACTIONS OF MY PAST SHOULD'NT PHASE ME TODAY OF WHO I AM AS A PERSON.My parents didn't apporve of me dating until after I was 21. All of my other peers at that time had boyfriends and girlfriends so I'm guessing high school teen life hasn't changed much and I find it odd how she never talks about boys or has even had a boyfriend yet at that age. When I was in school that situation would have been laughable.

Wiccan or Satanist still both are anti-god. I don't want my daughter to destroy her life. Next thing that will happen is she attends on of those heavy metal concerts and never comes home again or gets badly injured i have seen how heavy metal people act like. they physically hurt each other when a band is performing and i am scared for her.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:11 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,694,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna-isms View Post
Thank you so much. This is the best reply post in this thread. About activities she doesn't go to church with me anymore. Thing is, this began happening after I found out she listens to such trash. At the time she our pastor said that she doesn't seem to be so into her Bible studies as she had been in the past. I had always thought she enjoyed church and like spending time with me especially after my husbands death. I do not think that heavy metal music would be a result of grieving but the bad grades could. She has been hiding her reports cards from me I had to call the school just to check and see how she is doing academically. And I did not get a good report. So I have decided to have study time just like we did back when she was in elementary school. I am reluctant to spend money on a tutor because I know she is very intelligent, I honestly think that she is getting bad grades because of the i dont feel like doing this attitude. If she won't comply I will take her sources of non-christian entertainment away like her CD's, and use parental controls on our cable service. Maybe I should just get rid of the CD's altogether. what is wrong with satanism? everything. i don't want her doing witchcraft and worshiping the devil. It will certainly not be tolerated in this house. Satanism as you can tell from it's name, is quite self-explanatory. I read somewhere that they use animal sacrifices, conjure up evil spirits and demons, practice witchcraft, and other weird crazy stuff like that. As a Christian, one should know how to stop anti-God religions by getting to know the religion and to bring and end to it's blind followers. It;s our job to let them know that Jesus loves them and will have a home for them in the kingdom of heaven when they die. If I catch her doing witchcraft or even think shes doing it I will talk to our pastor about it. We are like family at our church. She has grown up around these people so I am not afraid that they will judge me as a bad parent because I know they know that I am a good christian mother. I didn't raise her to listen to evil, satanic music. She had listened to what I had listened to when I was growing up. Gospel & classic country music. Anything else like rock n roll and God forbid heavy metal music would have not been tolerated.
Yet another data point in favor of Poe's Law.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:11 PM

8 posts, read 22,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Um... first off, Witchcraft (Wicca) has nothing to do with Satan. Period. Maybe she is branching out away from Christianity and starting to figure out her own way in life. When I was her age, I started reading up on all kinds of religions/belief systems and I'm very glad I did so.

Why don't you get her a music instrument? She's simply trying out new music, but if you channeled that into something else, it could really benefit her. Maybe get her a simple acoustic guitar and a few books, maybe a few lessons even. It could help her express herself better. I know it helped me.

Of course, my parents let me branch out artistically from a very young age and laughed when I brought home early NWA albums. You think 'black metal' is bad? Listen to some early gangsta rap from the late 90s and early 90s.

The less you 'tolerate' the more she's going to rebel. Try channeling that energy into something good, like creating music. Of course, what do I know...I'm just a college educated Atheist and part time musician with Agnostics for parents and a Pagan Grandmother who didn't even go on her first date until she was nearly 19
Rap music would defintely not be allowed in my house. I don't want her listening to black thugs who beat and rape woman and call them vulgar names
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting