Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 03:23 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,721,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
LMAO!

Stop feeding! "Ana"is a troll.
Yep yep yep yep yep yep

No one could be this misinformed, not in 2010. I refuse to believe it.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,622,222 times
I'm just trying to get over a Christian mother wanting her teenage daughter dating because she had 10 boyfriends in high school herself!

Seriously, the music should be the least of the OP's concerns!

Old 03-26-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
As for mom's 10 boyfriends in junior high, that's OK because Jesus washed away the sins when she took a dunk in the kiddie pool on the altar at her local cult..er, church.
Yet she still uses the 10 boyfriends as a reference point for what she wants for her daughter!

Glad I finally clicked on this thread! It made my Friday afternoon too!

Old 03-26-2010, 03:30 PM

8 posts, read 22,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yet she still uses the 10 boyfriends as a reference point for what she wants for her daughter!
And what is wrong with having grandchildren?

Old 03-26-2010, 03:36 PM

758 posts, read 1,865,638 times
^ ROTFLOL! I thought someone was being sarcastic and it is the OP!

Old 03-26-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna-isms View Post
And what is wrong with having grandchildren?
Most parents aren't wanting grandchildren while their children are still in high school.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:38 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,481,658 times
Quote:
Okay I think some people aren't reading what I said and just bashing me for really no reason. (You have all been reported to the moderaters on these post forums, just a heads up)

For clarification I didnt NOT have 10 boyfriends while in JUNIOR HIGH. I don't know where this notion came from. By the time I was about her age in HIGH SCHOOL junior to senior (11th or 12th grade) I had already been in 10 relationships. I WAS YOUNG. THE ACTIONS OF MY PAST SHOULD'NT PHASE ME TODAY OF WHO I AM AS A PERSON.My parents didn't apporve of me dating until after I was 21. All of my other peers at that time had boyfriends and girlfriends so I'm guessing high school teen life hasn't changed much and I find it odd how she never talks about boys or has even had a boyfriend yet at that age. When I was in school that situation would have been laughable.

Wiccan or Satanist still both are anti-god. I don't want my daughter to destroy her life. Next thing that will happen is she attends on of those heavy metal concerts and never comes home again or gets badly injured i have seen how heavy metal people act like. they physically hurt each other when a band is performing and i am scared for her.
Ah, so your parents forbade dating, so you dated and violated their rules which you probably deemed arbitrary.

You force your daughter to follow your beliefs, so she doesn't and chooses to explore what else is out there and expand her tastes in music and dare I say it, religion.

Do you notice a pattern here?

You obviously have very strong convictions for what you believe in. While I may not share that same level of conviction, I can respect you for following your beliefs. However, your daughter is obviously more interested in exploring other things. Either as a simple rebellion against you, or just that she doesn't share the same beliefs.

Have you ever considered how much the death of her father may have impacted her? Have you ever considered that the counseling and support system you provided (I'm guessing your church) wasn't what she needed or what she was looking for?

This puts you in a quandary, what do you value more, your faith or your daughter? If I was in your shoes, I would step back and put my judgements (judge not lest ye be judged) and convictions aside and try to understand what your daughter actually feels. If you come at her from the strict standpoint that what she is into will not be tolerated it will simply drive her further and further into her rebellion/depression and push the two of you further and further apart. You don't have to like her music or anything else about her, but if you love her you do need to tolerate her likes and wants within reason and try to reach some common ground. She isn't a child anymore, even if she is to you.

If you ultimately value your beliefs more than your daughter than you are already lost. I know that God should be number 1 in your life, but I think He would understand needing to take a back seat to your daughter as you rebuild your relationship.

You also need to think about one other thing. It is impossible to force someone to accept God and conform to a belief system they do not choose. God gave man free will and he can choose for himself what he will believe. If you force your daughter to conform, even if she does on the outside, she won't on the inside and therefore is still not within God's Grace as she has not freely chosen to accept Him.

If I were you I would give my daughter some space, tolerate her choices of expression and let her become a bit of her own person and not necessarily the person you want her to be. In the meantime you can pray and pray hard that she will one day find her way to God as you did. If you fail to support her and show her love in a real way (not just a patronizing way) she will be lost to you forever.

Please note: I am not a born again and I was merely framing the context of my discussion from the OP's POV in an attempt to get through to her in the off-chance that she isn't a troll and may seriously consider burning her daughter at the stake as a heretic.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
^ ROTFLOL! I thought someone was being sarcastic and it is the OP!
Hopefully! Unless that's how the OP had her daughter!

Old 03-26-2010, 03:40 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,265,165 times
Quote:
Okay I think some people aren't reading what I said and just bashing me for really no reason. (You have all been reported to the moderaters on these post forums, just a heads up)

For clarification I didnt NOT have 10 boyfriends while in JUNIOR HIGH. I don't know where this notion came from. By the time I was about her age in HIGH SCHOOL junior to senior (11th or 12th grade) I had already been in 10 relationships. I WAS YOUNG. THE ACTIONS OF MY PAST SHOULD'NT PHASE ME TODAY OF WHO I AM AS A PERSON.My parents didn't apporve of me dating until after I was 21. All of my other peers at that time had boyfriends and girlfriends so I'm guessing high school teen life hasn't changed much and I find it odd how she never talks about boys or has even had a boyfriend yet at that age. When I was in school that situation would have been laughable.

Wiccan or Satanist still both are anti-god. I don't want my daughter to destroy her life. Next thing that will happen is she attends on of those heavy metal concerts and never comes home again or gets badly injured i have seen how heavy metal people act like. they physically hurt each other when a band is performing and i am scared for her.
High School is much more tolerant of students who do not follow the pack than they were when you or I were in high school.

My son plays guitar and likes metal. This is his life, his personality and his choice. If there are things that I find offensive, I will not buy it, nor will I allow it played so that I have to hear it. But I will not "ban" it from my home.... because this is HIS home too.I have gone with my son to concerts. I had lawn seats while he had a pit pass. He was not injured. He was not surrounded by evil.... just a bunch of people who wanted to rock. Our city put on a concert (free) in the park for a popular rock band. That was the most "active" pit I have ever seem. No injuries.

You seem to have an opinion of the rock culture that is misconstrued. Just as not all Christians are bible thumpers who see evil at every turn, not all rockers are devil-worshiping witches.

My son, also, has not had a girlfriend since he was 13. He finds most girls have too much drama and he chooses to wait until he finds a girl who he respects instead of just having a girlfriend so he can be like everyone else. My son doesn't use drugs, doesn't drink, doesn't use vulgar language. I am proud of my boy and have had others remark on what an honorable child he is. Even his youth pastor.

Your daughter deserves a chance to find out who she is, not be expected to fit into a personality you desire for her.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Ah, so your parents forbade dating, so you dated and violated their rules which you probably deemed arbitrary.

You force your daughter to follow your beliefs, so she doesn't and chooses to explore what else is out there and expand her tastes in music and dare I say it, religion.

Do you notice a pattern here?
Good point!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting