Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:10 AM

758 posts, read 1,867,718 times

Advertisements

I don't either, she said she was only a sophomore. She might only be 15. I don't know about sitting in the parking lot all night but...maybe she is only jesting about that part.

As for responsible mature kids...I've got responsible kids, don't know about mature. DD is in 11th grade this year and I pretty much trust that she is honest with me, which I think is one of the most important things.

DS 11 is a good kid with great grades. He's still working on his honesty though. We are making progress there. I was in his closet and saw a bunch of shirts on the floor, I asked why there are shirts all over the floor and he said "they fell off the hanger and I was too lazy to pick them up" in a very somber and apologetic tone. I nearly burst trying to hold my laugh in. Normally he would have given me some silly reason like the window was open and the wind must have blew them all off the hangers.

The other 2 are 2 and 5 so not much responsibility or maturity there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 10:19 AM

2,148 posts, read 3,307,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Seems that all the parenting teen forums are geared towards troubled teens that are out of control. I would really like to make contact with other parents that have responsible mature teens. Even my friends and sister don't really understand - they all compare notes regarding the drinking, drug use, etc... that they are going through with their teens, while I am left feeling lonely because I can't relate. Don't get me wrong... I don't WANT to be able to relate to the stress they are going through, but I would like to talk with someone who has responsible, college-bound teens
Both of my kids (twins, 15 yrs) are very level headed and mature. They're basically real nice kids with goals and interests and gravitate towards other kids who are similar.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:37 AM

556 posts, read 2,082,950 times
Does it count if we 'had' responsible teens - both boys - who are now fine young men with families of their own, financially stable, in jobs they love and both believe in working hard and playing hard One is a college graduate - the other moved up the ladder on his own merit and work ethic - both work for the same company - doing the same job and they are good buddies.

We had the BEST experience with both of them - they simply grew up and got a life of their own far too quickly.....we're very proud of them and are now watching as they start having kids of their own - to see how they do at this career called 'parenting'

Old 03-26-2010, 01:06 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,270,410 times
My teen would be what most describe as responsible and mature. He doesn't do drugs and doesn't drink and will not cuss in my hearing/house. He makes his own money and looks after the littler ones. He sees things from an objective perspective and knows the world isn't out to get him (unlike his 12year old self). He understands that his life is what he makes of it. He also recognizes that while I cannot "force" him to do something, I can make his life miserable if her goes off the deep end. I am of the philosophy that we aren't raising children, we are raising future adults and if we want them to be mature and responsible, we have to make them responsible for their actions from an early age and teach them to think beyond immediate gratification... and somethings you just cannot have.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:14 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,563,394 times
Me and my brother and sister are the 'weird ones' of the family. I started my first business when I was 14 with my sisters help (she was 10 at the time) and we turned it into a profitable venture. Since it was livestock related, I didn't have the time to go out and party with friends, because I was milking goats at 4am before school, and had to do it again starting at 5pm after school My cousins and whatnot were all crazy into drinking and drugs.

My sister was a bit harder, she liked to go out and hang out with friends, but never did anything terrible. My brother is a varsity baseball player as a Sophomore (he's a junior now) and spends most of his time working out or practicing.

I didn't even go on my first date until I was almost 19

My parents let us basically do whatever we wanted, but we chose to stay at home and tend the livestock. Maybe we were just weird kids

Old 03-26-2010, 01:14 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,376,368 times
I am fortunate to have great teens (19 and 16). ... We went through some "drama" with DD in highschool but I think it was pretty typical stuff. Never any problems with drugs, alcohol, grades or irresponsibility. DD worked through HS, is in college on an academic scholarship and holds 2 jobs while maintaining her GPA (condition of scholarship). She has had a really, really rough year health-wise but still manages to keep up. Really proud of her. DS is 16, just bought a (very used) car with money he's been saving for quite awhile, currently looking for a job, works hard on his grades, plays on the lacrosse team at school and is kind, funny and respectful. No complaints here. Not saying every day is a picnic but overall - I'm extremely pleased with both of them.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:44 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,679,685 times
I've got a good one I am going to keep for a while.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:50 PM

831 posts, read 1,577,958 times
It's so good to hear about good teens. My neice is 15 and is being a handful right now. Snicking out to meet an older boy friend. I have told my 11 daughter she isn't allowed to talk to her unless I am there. I hope in a few years I will be able to say that I have a responsable teen.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:58 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,143,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
if she is responsible- why are you driving them both ways and staying at the prom? My daughter would be mortified if I drove her and her date to the prom!!
I agree-the way around this is to rent a limo for them for the evening. That is my plan when the kids got to prom. Our prom is such that the kids go out to dinner on their own and then to a dance. I will have the limo bring them to dinner and the dance and then come back and pick them up after the dance and bring them home. I think prom is most kids first real "adult" evening but I don't want it to get TOO adult. I remember in high school parents would rent hotel rooms for their kids-our prom was in a hotel--so they wouldn't be driving all over .

Old 03-26-2010, 05:00 PM

15,994 posts, read 20,980,772 times
My baby just turned 21.
I breathed a big sigh of relief because both kids made it to legal adulthood without anything worse than a traffic ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting