Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 06:45 PM

2,714 posts, read 5,344,566 times

Advertisements

I don't agree with cashing the bonds and buying them something with the money. The bonds belong to them.

I would buy a nice card and write in it how much their grandparents loved them and all that good stuff and enclose the bond in the card. Then I would suggest that they hold onto the bond until they were ready buy something very special. If they chose not do to that and frittered it away, that would be up to them. They're over 18. They can decide for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 10:10 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,969,645 times
I have already said that I would ask them ...
I doubt I could legally cash them, even if I wanted to.

The point is that they would probably like the idea of a gift in their grandparents
honor..

It is not about the money..it is that they have something that is special from their grandparents...

Maciesmom understands that it would be spent on this or that and not on something that will last.

sskkc... I really like the idea of a gift when they have a house.
or on their wedding day..

Old 03-29-2010, 10:18 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,158,302 times
Curious if the grandparents purchase the bonds for birthdays, etc.? Were they already given as a gift for a specific event in the grand kids' lives?

Old 03-29-2010, 11:21 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,660,945 times
Why would you cash them now if they're still earning money? (if they are, that is?)

Why not just hand them over to your kids, tell them how special the money is, ask them to consider holding on to them for a special need, and then let them choose when that time should be? Do you really think they're going to rush out to cash them when you hand them over? I doubt most people would do that; a bond is very different than cash.

I guess I'm just having a tough time seeing a watch or other physical gift picked out by someone else as really being a memory gift. The bond is what is from their grandparents, not whatever you would buy for them with the money. I understand the desire for symbolism and meaning, but at the same time I think the bonds themselves -- along with a discussion of how you suggest that this money should be used for something meaningful -- would have greater meaning than anything you could buy.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:22 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,969,645 times
Thanks for all the comments...

All good points...

The bonds are mature ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting