Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 03:42 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,815,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Even if it was in a plastic sandwich container, the bread would have still become soggy---maybe not a ball, but definitely still soggy bread.

I recently overcame the obsticle of a tuna salad sandwhich. (I make my husband's lunch.)

I put a piece of cheese on one side and lettuce on the other side with the tuna salad in the middle. The bread stayed fresh.

I'm always looking for new ways to protect the bread from moist foods----such as pickles and tomatos go between the lunchmeat instead of on top.

I once even sliced red cabbage for one side. I don't recommend it. My husband said it was too crunchy!
I send my kids with some tuna salad in a container and some bread wrapped in plastic wrap. They construct the sandwich with a spoon. Problem solved. Also works for egg salad and chicken salad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 03:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,662,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I send my kids with some tuna salad in a container and some bread wrapped in plastic wrap. They construct the sandwich with a spoon. Problem solved. Also works for egg salad and chicken salad.
Your children are more ambitious than my husband!

But isn't it surprising that some people don't even consider how a sandwich becomes soggy after a few hours?

Old 03-30-2010, 05:23 PM

4,356 posts, read 4,195,932 times
As a child, I couldn't abide sandwiches. The bread would always gum up on the inside of my mouth. Yuck!

As an adult, I discovered that I don't mind toasted sandwiches on buns, but I still prefer to take leftovers or frozen dinners and heat them up during my planning period.

Unfortunately, this year my schedule does not allow me that luxury. I have about 14 minutes to get my food down, as I must be the last person to sit at our classes table. (And this is high school!) I have finally found that I can assemble my sandwich at school in order to have a fresh, non-soggy sandwich. I toast a split deli roll in the morning, and wrap it in a paper towel. In another paper towel, I put some lettuce. I put the ham in a scrap of Press'n'Seal® and toss in a Laughing Cow® cheese spread triangle. It only takes a minute to put it all together, and it is much more satisfying than cheese and crackers.

Some kids just don't like their food in sandwich form. They can also take the equivalent foods that they can eat separately, such as nuts or string cheese, salad and croutons. Yogurt is always good and easy.

My students don't usually use utensils to eat. They are surprised when I bring a hot lunch that I use a knife and fork to eat chicken. I really want to bring some plastic knives so that I can teach them how to use one. It's an important business skill. I was dismayed that the child was expelled for having plastic knife. Dismayed, but not surprised.

We really have lost our bearings.

Social skills should include appropriate table manners beginning in infant daycare. We had few child care choices when our children were small, so one of the compromises we made included bad food choices. Our kids were fed well at home, so they weren't having the same bad foods as at school. They both loved vegetables and consumed large quantities of fresh fruit. But they developed terrible table manners that we were never to completely shake from all the finger foods that the child care centers served. They did learn the ability to use a knife and fork, but we always had to remind them to use them, and napkins!

I hope that Jamie Oliver goes to a daycare center in Huntington to show how our youngest are being fed. I would bet that a lot of the daycares in Huntington will have similar menus as ours did--a constant diet of chicken or fish nuggets, steak fingers, hamburgers, hot dogs, and pizzas, with the expected side dishes--fries, vegetable fingers, corn patties, etc. I don't know if they ever gave the kids forks, but they must have had spoons for desserts.

Parents of daycare-age children: please stand up for good food and table manners! All the kids need both!

Old 03-31-2010, 09:55 AM

16,963 posts, read 16,189,386 times
My kids get mostly finger foods in their school lunches (sandwiches, cheese cubes, crackers, etc). Some of the food does require a spoon (like yogurt) or a fork (watermelon cubes), but none of the food needs to be cut up, peeled or otherwise prepared. Quick and easy works best at school, IMO.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:29 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,731,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
In my experience, many people in England use utensils with foods that in the US are considered to be finger foods. People routinely use them to eat pizza and fries, and it is not unusual to see people using a knife and fork on a hamburger.
Exactly. The first time I went to a chicken place(like KFC) and I asked for a knife and fork to eat the chicken my date looked at me like I had two heads. He humored me and ask for silverware but they only had forks. So with a napkin I wrapped the end of the chicken leg so I could eat it without getting my fingers greasy. I still do not eat chicken or ribs with my hands. Disgusting.

Both of my kids started using a fork and spoon at 1. I let my dd start using a knife at 2. By 3 she could cut soft things like pancakes and chicken nuggets. At 4 she wants to eat with her hands because that is what her friends at pre-school do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting