Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 02:34 PM

50,052 posts, read 63,405,659 times

Advertisements

Another thread made me think of this. In the Jaime Oliver series about making more healthful school lunches, most of the grade school kids only ate with spoons or their fingers. He found this pretty appalling.
I started my toddlers using a fork instead of their fingers, but I really don't remember how old they were when they started cutting their own food..maybe 6 or 7 or so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 03:41 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,959,195 times
I found it so weird when I saw that! Seriously, six year olds not knowing how to use a fork??? My kids started with forks when they learned to eat table foods that were not cut into teeny tiny pieces (so by a year and a half or two at the latest!), and learned how to use butter knives around age four. My six year old can now use a steak knife to cut meat, and my nine year old has been doing so for a few years now.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:59 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,676,840 times
Mine started using a fork when she stopped pounding the spoon on her tray. The knife came at about 4.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:14 PM

130 posts, read 558,501 times
My daughter not only used a fork, but was eating with chopsticks at age 5. Kids are amazing.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:19 PM

50,052 posts, read 63,405,659 times
That's all very encouraging. I thought maybe I was just out of it.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:36 PM

841 posts, read 4,830,415 times
Both of my kids were using forks by the age of 2; knives at the age of 5.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:07 PM

294 posts, read 1,104,632 times
Yeah, that was pretty shocking. My daughter is 5, and she uses both. My son is almost two, and does pretty well with the fork. Funny, she also taught herself to use chopsticks too! She uses them better than me, lol. I mean, that's a pretty sad situation, those kids at the school. Even if the school was not teaching them, where the hell are the parents? I didn't catch the whole show.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:45 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,138,545 times
I'm so glad someone started a post about that show. I love it and thought of my own situation with my kids and using utensils.

My kids started out with a spoon very early and progressed to a fork at about 1 1/2. My 7 year old still has a hard time with a knife...she saws at stuff until it finally "gives up."

But I think it was amazing to watch that show and see that our country has moved on to finger food and stuff you can eat with your hands. I cook at home a lot and make healthy meals (and admittedly do cut up pieces of meat into smaller pieces) but even I have to admit that we don't often use knives. I do cut a lot of stuff with my fork but we don't do a lot of food that requires a knife.

Anyway...after watching that show, I am going to make an effort to work with my 7 year old on her knife skills. She has been using a fork forever so that's not an issue, but perhaps I'll start having her use a knife to cut things up instead of making things bite-sized.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felicitev21 View Post
Even if the school was not teaching them, where the hell are the parents? I didn't catch the whole show.
I think the point of the show was to let the viewers see how we Americans are moving towards food that can be eaten without any utensils. If those kids' diets were supposed to be an example...hamburgers, pizza, chicken nuggets, french fries, etc...are all consumed with the need for utensils. None of those kids were eating anything like salad, soup, rice, pasta, or cuts of meat that required anything other than their hands.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:50 PM

Just to satisfy my curiosity...

For those of us with kids in school (and who pack their lunch), does the lunch you pack for your kids require you to put a spoon/knife/fork inside?

I was just thinking of my kid's lunch and there is a mini-bagel sandwich, juice box, crackers/chips and sliced apples/oranges/berries. I put in a napkin but never a utensil. I was just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting