Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 11:01 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times

Advertisements

Here is an idea...
Attached Thumbnails
How to stop speedrs onmy street? Is there any way?-405570_colorful_tacks.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 11:08 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Here is an idea...
careful, you'll get someones panties in a twist, and likely be called a liar...

Old 04-04-2010, 05:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Do you know your cops personally? Most likely not. I'm on the Citizen's Patrol and I only know one or two by name.

Law enforcement is their job, I agree. And part of that job is to use force and violence.

Do what you will. But I made a suggestion that avoids even indirect threats of violence and is present more often than police.

I will say it again. Do what you think is right. This is an *option*. If you feel calling cops on your neighbors is a-okay, then do it. But don't deny it's not a threat of force. Just admit you're okay doing that to your neighbors. Most people are.
stopping someone for speeding almost never involves a threat of force. I fear a driver with a speeding car more than a cop with a gun and a taser. A cop is almost never going to hurt or kill if I'm minding my own business, obeying the law. Can't say the same for an idiot with a car going 40 in a 25.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:21 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
stopping someone for speeding almost never involves a threat of force. I fear a driver with a speeding car more than a cop with a gun and a taser. A cop is almost never going to hurt or kill if I'm minding my own business, obeying the law. Can't say the same for an idiot with a car going 40 in a 25.

What?

How can you say a police officer doesn't invoke the threat of force? If you don't do what he says, he will use force to make you comply. So, by calling a police officer, you are calling someone who uses the threat of violence to enforce compliance.

Now, of course if you are already complying, he won't have to use force. But you seem to think that calling someone who uses force to enforce compliance is not using the threat of force. Which is just obviously untrue. The reason you want to call the police is that they *can* use violence, and the threat of violence. That's the whole point!

Why do people not understand that? Just because violence doesn't always happen doesn't mean the threat of violence isn't present and immediate.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
What?

How can you say a police officer doesn't invoke the threat of force? If you don't do what he says, he will use force to make you comply. So, by calling a police officer, you are calling someone who uses the threat of violence to enforce compliance.

Now, of course if you are already complying, he won't have to use force. But you seem to think that calling someone who uses force to enforce compliance is not using the threat of force. Which is just obviously untrue. The reason you want to call the police is that they *can* use violence, and the threat of violence. That's the whole point!

Why do people not understand that? Just because violence doesn't always happen doesn't mean the threat of violence isn't present and immediate.
ticketing speeders is their job. period. That is what our tax dollars pay them to do. Why put yourself in danger by placing your own obstacle in or near the street and creating your own traffic hazard, and pissing off people who drive by? you sound like one of those people who view the police as the enemy not as your ally. That's not how I see it.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:36 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Well, yes, I could see why some people could see that simply wearing a gun etc could (and to some extent should) be seen as a "threat of violence"...to some people. However, a police officer is not going to pull his/her weapon simply to enforse speeding.... And frankly, if something ELSE happens, which causes the officer to threaten (or actually use) deadly force, then apparently calling the police WAS a good idea...

And BTW, speeders through a residential neighborhood are not always "neighbors" who live in the neighborhood....

Old 04-05-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Well, yes, I could see why some people could see that simply wearing a gun etc could (and to some extent should) be seen as a "threat of violence"...to some people. However, a police officer is not going to pull his/her weapon simply to enforse speeding.... And frankly, if something ELSE happens, which causes the officer to threaten (or actually use) deadly force, then apparently calling the police WAS a good idea...

And BTW, speeders through a residential neighborhood are not always "neighbors" who live in the neighborhood....

Really guys? You really don't think violence is used to enforce speeding?

A 72 woman tasered in Austin, TX when stopped for speeding.

Yes it *is* employing violence. Whether you think it is right or wrong, whether you agree or not, at least recognize it for what it is.

And don't forget folks, I'm talking about this from the point of view of a Citizen on Patrol, I patrol my own neighborhood with a radio to call the police. I work with the police to stop criminals and keep the peace in my neighborhood. I volunteer to actively aid the police in this resolve. There *is* a time and a place to call in the use of violence. I'll be the first to say that. I also know that the police really do appreciate it when people take non-violent proactive measures to secure their own environment. It makes their job much easier. If you have a speeding problem, and you have the opportunity and the willingness to slow people down, it benefits everyone, you, your neighbors, and your police. This idea that you should be apathethic about your own neighborhood and call the cops for everything makes their job harder, not easier.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:24 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
You must not have actually read the article.....she was not tasered for speeding, she was tasered for her actions afterward. Not to say it was correct but also it should be noted that it was an unusual enough situation that it made the news.....

So, as a Citizen on Patrol, you now are not only able to represent the citizens who live in fear of being tasered by the police for speeding, but also you can speak for the police who are apparently grateful that citizens take things into their own hands by slowing down speeders on their own, rather than allowing them to do their job and not have confrontations between residents and people who regularly speed through neighborhoods and become beligerent when asked to please slow down. Police deal with speeders in business districts and highways all the time, it is a public safety issue and there is no difference in requesting they enforce this in residential neighborhoods also.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You must not have actually read the article.....she was not tasered for speeding, she was tasered for her actions afterward. Not to say it was correct but also it should be noted that it was an unusual enough situation that it made the news.....
I did read the article. If getting pulled over for speeding did not carry with it the threat of violence then it would be impossible for the woman to be tasered as a result of getting pulled over for speeding.

But she did. So it does. Yes, I understand that if you utterly comply with everything the officer says you will (probably) not feel the violence. But that compliance occurs under the threat of violence. She did not comply, violence ensued. That is a threat of violence. If she had not pulled over, violence would have ensued.

Quote:
So, as a Citizen on Patrol, you now are not only able to represent the citizens who live in fear of being tasered by the police for speeding, but also you can speak for the police who are apparently grateful that citizens take things into their own hands by slowing down speeders on their own, rather than allowing them to do their job and not have confrontations between residents and people who regularly speed through neighborhoods and become beligerent when asked to please slow down. Police deal with speeders in business districts and highways all the time, it is a public safety issue and there is no difference in requesting they enforce this in residential neighborhoods also.
I can speak for myself, from my knowledge and experience, and when someone asks for suggestions about what to do about the speeding in their neighborhood, I can offer suggestions.

If you will go back and reread my comments, no where have I said this is what people *MUST* do. I offered it as an option. I also encouraged people to call the police if that is what they want to do. I offered an option for those not ready to do that yet.

This whole time, I am defending an option that does not cost police their time and resources so they can concentrate on other things. I don't understand why you are so hostile to the idea of helping your police!

I'm truly confused why you are throwing me so much flak for this suggestion. If you don't like it, don't do it. Simple as that!

Old 04-05-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Really guys? You really don't think violence is used to enforce speeding?

A 72 woman tasered in Austin, TX when stopped for speeding.

Yes it *is* employing violence. Whether you think it is right or wrong, whether you agree or not, at least recognize it for what it is.

And don't forget folks, I'm talking about this from the point of view of a Citizen on Patrol, I patrol my own neighborhood with a radio to call the police. I work with the police to stop criminals and keep the peace in my neighborhood. I volunteer to actively aid the police in this resolve. There *is* a time and a place to call in the use of violence. I'll be the first to say that. I also know that the police really do appreciate it when people take non-violent proactive measures to secure their own environment. It makes their job much easier. If you have a speeding problem, and you have the opportunity and the willingness to slow people down, it benefits everyone, you, your neighbors, and your police. This idea that you should be apathethic about your own neighborhood and call the cops for everything makes their job harder, not easier.
I bet if we asked the police officers, they would suggest calling them before they would suggest parking your car on the street or throwing something in the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting