Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:51 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,917,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
no one gets tasered over speeding. They get tasered because they mouth off to the cop, or get out of their car when they are told not to, etc. If the speeder keeps his mouth shut, all he will get is a ticket. The method of "enforcement" is the monetary fine and the point on your record, not the threat that you might get tasered for speeding.

I'm counting this point off as loss to conscious denial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 11:56 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,917,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The police are trained to avoid the use of violence if at all possible. In many many cases the police are involved so that things will NOT escalate. Enforcing the law does not necessarily mean depending on violence to do so. Why do you keep infering that it is normal for police to taser or use violence when ticketing speeders? Or that ANYONE has suggested speeders be electrocuted? You had some reasonable points earlier but you are beginning to sound a bit off....

Prevention and discouragement....that's exactly what tickets and fines are.

Yes it does. Enforcing the law *always* uses violence, or the threat of violence. Always. 100%. That is what law *IS*. Law is justification to do violence to people that would otherwise be illegal.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,075,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
I'm counting this point off as loss to conscious denial.
And I'm counting you off as a person who has a problem with authority of any kind. If the fine wasn't the deterrent, there wouldn't be one. Speeders would just be tasered as soon as they pulled over. Or, why even bother to pull them over? The cop could just shoot the driver through the car window!

Old 04-07-2010, 10:33 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,009,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Yes it does. Enforcing the law *always* uses violence, or the threat of violence. Always. 100%. That is what law *IS*. Law is justification to do violence to people that would otherwise be illegal.
What the heck? I don't know where you live, but where I live things don't work that way. You might want to consider relocating.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:20 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,740,051 times
Do you live in an area where there are any deer?

Some of my neighbors do this they are pretty ugly but it works!

Get a deer shaped lawn ornament, the more realistic the better. Put it as close to the edge of the street as possible. Drivers will see it out of the corner of their eye and slow down to avoid hitting the deer.

They also sell those cardboard cut out things in the shape of a kid playing, you can always bring one out whenever your kids will be outside.

I also like the idea of putting up personalized signs, but keep the message as short as possible, you don't want to have distracted drivers instead of speeders!! The ones that the DOT uses at construction sites always get me "Slow Down My Daddy Works Here" written in that crayon looking font.

Or then again you could just get a sign that says "Slow down, speeding tickets will get you tasered"

Old 04-13-2010, 11:27 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,740,051 times
Just thought of something else, is this a small medical center or a hospital? If it's a small medical center maybe you can go in and talk with the director/manager. Explain your concern and ask them to help get the word out to their paitents not to speed on your street. I remember my old pediatrician used to have a sign right on the entryway door "Attention paitents: Do not park in the CVS lot across the street. They will tow your car"

Maybe ask for them to put up a sign that says "Attention paitents: The speed limit on XYZ street is 25mph and is strictly enforced. Please obey the speed limit to avoid being ticketed"

Who cares if the strictly enforced part isn't true, scare tactics can go a long way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting