Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 12:39 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,163,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiTorrey View Post
isn't this thread about helping her find a dr. not bashing her views?
YES. I've offered to help her privately, but so far she has not yet responded back yet to see any responses, not that I blame her, with all of the bitterness going on here.

I've always found it ironic that many of those who claim to love their country and their liberty the most are often the first ones to bash other peoples' decisions when they do not conform to their more traditional views toward religion, nationalism, militarism and, in this case, healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 01:09 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,057,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
I don't know a single pediatrician that would sit still and allow you to put your child's health and safety in great peril without saying something every time you came in.

A distant relative took the same approach with his kids. His 17-year old son got the mumps without having ever been vaccinated.

His son is sterile now.
please don't! turn this thread into your rant. Answer the OP's question.
We had our son in boulder, and the attending doctor as well as follow up were completely fine with our decision to 'wait' for vaccination.
Wait being the operative word, OP. (Just be diplomatic and say 'we'd like to wait'. You are not obliged to inform them any further; it's a business relationship with your dr.)

And, while we are at it, there is no conclusive evidence that getting a boatload of vaccines all at once is 'safe'.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:13 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,057,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
YES. I've offered to help her privately, but so far she has not yet responded back yet to see any responses, not that I blame her, with all of the bitterness going on here.

I've always found it ironic that many of those who claim to love their country and their liberty the most are often the first ones to bash other peoples' decisions when they do not conform to their more traditional views toward religion, nationalism, militarism and, in this case, healthcare.
I KNOW!
I cannot believe how ridiculous this thread is...
a simple question-perhaps she should have posted in parenting, but even then, you get folks insistant on creating a tantrum out of a question. geez.

what will be funny, though, is in the future when vaccines, just like so many other things,
ie, tobacco, partially hydrogenated oils, and countless others to come-will be said to be 'oh, not as effective/deterrent as we thought', and 'oh, turns out they are not all safe'.

Okay, this will not be funny, but just so typical...this is how it goes, and yet round and round we go, all over again, as though we aren't riding the same ride here, people.

In any case, please recommend a dr. to the woman. I am trying to recall the woman in Boulder, but it's been 9 yrs...
The OP can also call local home-birth midwives and get their suggestion-i'm sure they each know at least one doc who fits into this category.
Also, check the attachment parenting websites for CO; usually they have referral lists.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:02 PM

20,831 posts, read 17,015,172 times
Your denial of the child's rights to be protected from a parent who may put them in harms way and your stubborn insistence that there is something wrong with those of us who wish to protect the children is blatant. Children have rights and while any parent can choose to evaluate the pros and cons of treatments and SHOULD to have a belief which can injure others and to stand on that is dangerous in my viewpoint. You really should chill.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:28 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,262,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd
In any case, please recommend a dr. to the woman.
OK...then it seems appropriate to recommend Dr. Kevorkian.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:33 AM

90 posts, read 261,783 times
Sorry you are scared about vaccines. There are many reasons why you will have trouble getting any good doc to agree to not vaccinate. ex., Rubella-check what that does to a fetus. And you already read what mumps can do. I guess you have done your homework and know that current best info is that vaccines do not cause autism. So, I wonder why? For really great parenting, what you should put your efforts toward is checking your water and food for harmful toxins that were not present until recent years and that our water treatment plants do not check for.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:48 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,664,888 times
Before everyone jumps to the conclusion that this parent is ignorant of what is deemed "medical progress," please read up on the issue yourselves! Yes, there are pros and cons for vaccinating your children, but many of us are blindly vaccinating without really thinking about what is being put into our childrens' bodies! Back when I was vaccinated in the mid 1970's, I was given about 20 vaccinations. Now we give our kids around 120-130 vaccinations. This is crazy!!! (BTW, my husband is a nurse and I am a teacher so we are not uneducated) I will not be subjecting my children to this many vaccinations. They just don't need it!

My suggestion to the OP is to keep searching for doctors. Check out the various parenting forums out there and search this topic. Even if you don't find one, a pediatrician cannot force you to vaccinate your child. Entering schools can be tricky, but it can be done. You just need to find out what your school district policy is. I would start looking into this now so you are prepared!

Old 03-27-2010, 03:49 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,376,423 times
I work in a pediatrician's office in Boulder County. We have a few parents who do not vaccinate. We do not kick these people out of our practice. Often, when their kids are exposed to a vaccine-prevenatable disease, they call us in a panic. Some eventually change their minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Agreed. CS'ers are much more dangerous to their own families and children.

I do not believe that a child anywhere in the United States can begin school without being vaccinated.
In Colorado, you can sign a religious exemption, or a personal exemption. You cannot do that in every state. If you do sign an exemption, you can be excluded from school for the duration of an epidemic of vaccine preventable disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Before everyone jumps to the conclusion that this parent is ignorant of what is deemed "medical progress," please read up on the issue yourselves! Yes, there are pros and cons for vaccinating your children, but many of us are blindly vaccinating without really thinking about what is being put into our childrens' bodies! Back when I was vaccinated in the mid 1970's, I was given about 20 vaccinations. Now we give our kids around 120-130 vaccinations. This is crazy!!! (BTW, my husband is a nurse and I am a teacher so we are not uneducated) I will not be subjecting my children to this many vaccinations. They just don't need it!

My suggestion to the OP is to keep searching for doctors. Check out the various parenting forums out there and search this topic. Even if you don't find one, a pediatrician cannot force you to vaccinate your child. Entering schools can be tricky, but it can be done. You just need to find out what your school district policy is. I would start looking into this now so you are prepared!
I don't know who told you kids get 120-130 vaccinations. Here is the recommended immunization schedule for children:

http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/dc/Immu.../ped_sched.pdf

Some of these immunizations are given as combination vaccines, e.g. DTaP, Hib, Polio, and others. In all, there are 12 diseases that kids are immunized for. (The schedule I posted includes influenza, which is not part of the routine immunization schedule.) The number of shots in a series ranges from one (meningitis) to six (Diptheria, Tetanus, Pertussis). These six are given over a period of 11 years. The total number of shots varies with regard to the use of combination vaccines.

School district policy about immunizations is the same throughout the state.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:05 PM

20,831 posts, read 17,015,172 times
It is a tough issue and the OP can be assured that there are many tough issues in becoming a parent. We all face dilemmas which challenge our beliefs and it is up to us to sort out the best information as we make decisions. The post above is clear and concise. I believe that most parents are concerned about the effects if any of vaccines. However the child has a right independently to be protected. I don't think many of us have jumped to any conclusions but an appropriate alarm is sounded regarding the childrens welfare. It is up to all of us to help one another to protect children, adults and the elderly.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:40 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,262,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
It is a tough issue and the OP can be assured that there are many tough issues in becoming a parent. We all face dilemmas which challenge our beliefs and it is up to us to sort out the best information as we make decisions. The post above is clear and concise. I believe that most parents are concerned about the effects if any of vaccines. However the child has a right independently to be protected. I don't think many of us have jumped to any conclusions but an appropriate alarm is sounded regarding the childrens welfare. It is up to all of us to help one another to protect children, adults and the elderly.
Well put. The original post struck me the same as someone asking "does anyone know where I can find a school crossing where the crossing guard will not say anything if I allow my kids to play in traffic?"

Another point that's been at least tangentially addressed is that failure to vaccinate children not only places them at risk, but it creates a vector for preventable diseases that can affect others, such as those who are immuno-compromised.

As in warfare and economic depressions, when those alive during the last big war/depression/epidemic are no longer around to put the reality of those nightmares into perspective, the younger generations will cavalierly strip away the hard-fought protective mechanisms their elders put into place and learn anew about them--the hard way.

The idea that children still die of measles nearly 50 years after an effective vaccine was created, in many cases because scientifically ignorant parents choose to believe internet conspiracy theories and lies over their doctor's best advice, is maddening. It's especially ironic when a child is left unprotected against such a disease when the parents themselves are protected because their parents had the good sense to get them immunized.

Anyway, I hope there are no docs here that would "respect" a parent's wishes by remaining silent about the incredible risks they're taking with their childrens' lives. They should be getting a full-court-press lecture every time they show up in the doc's office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting