Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 07:55 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haubrich29 View Post
I have heard of many cases of terrible side effect of vaccines,
I have heard of much worse things happening to children as a direct result of not getting vaccinated for easily preventable diseases. In some states it would be child abuse, I suspect rightly so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 10:33 PM

11 posts, read 14,962 times
O.K. first of all lets not make this about religion unless West Ash wants it to be.
I am one of four kids born to Chiro parents. Myself and my siblings never had shots or immunizations. Now we weren't just let loose to swim in disease and play roulette with our health. We ate well (little fast food) took vitamins and minerals, and got routine Chiro care (of course it was free!!) Myself and my siblings rarely got sick. I remember being in school while everyone was riddled with colds, flu, and seasonal allergies. I was not, in fact I couldn't remember having a cold for more than a couple days.
Now, its important to have lots of info about your decision to not immunize. Make sure you have info with you in case someone gets a little whacked out crazy and thinks turning you into social services is their God given right to correct what YOU have done, shame on you!! There is a Chiro and naturalist in pittsburgh named Dr. James Winer. He has tons of literature and has a radio show that you can listen online. The guy has something for everything plus nutrients you should take daily to keep optimum health. Good Luck

Old 03-27-2010, 10:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Now we give our kids around 120-130 vaccinations. This is crazy!!! (BTW, my husband is a nurse and I am a teacher so we are not uneducated) I will not be subjecting my children to this many vaccinations. They just don't need it!
ummm....I can't even count the contradictions in this post. You are kidding right? About everything?

Old 03-27-2010, 10:46 PM

11 posts, read 14,962 times
Bob from the South.... The ideas you have a pretty scary. It is my right to not have my child vaccinated.(and he isn't!! oh no, very scary. I promise to stay far away from you!!) A person should not force me to have my child vaccinated. If you would like that please go live in a communist country and leave the U.S. alone for those to make decisions as they seem fit. Freedom and liberty let us make decisions, whether right or wrong, as we wish. We may disagree but leave it at that.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:31 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mss9673 View Post
Bob from the South.... The ideas you have a pretty scary. It is my right to not have my child vaccinated.(and he isn't!! oh no, very scary. I promise to stay far away from you!!) A person should not force me to have my child vaccinated. If you would like that please go live in a communist country and leave the U.S. alone for those to make decisions as they seem fit. Freedom and liberty let us make decisions, whether right or wrong, as we wish. We may disagree but leave it at that.
You don't know what freedom and liberty mean in this context. Or communism for that matter. We require vaccinations so you can be alive today to complain about it. Your ignorance is astounding.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:29 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mss9673 View Post
You conveniently forget the child's liberty. It not "whether right or wrong". Sorry.

If the previous poster lived well doing Chiro (which I know little about) and is healthy perhaps you could investigate that as an alternative. However just saying "my" child does not give you some right to potentially expose them to danger. If you had ever seen a kid die from whooping cough due to lack of vaccination (thousands do) you might think twice about your precious and misplaced (my opinion) rights.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:22 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
Well, most pediatricians will encourage you to vaccinate, some will even refuse their service if you decide not to.
You just need to find pediatrician who is open-minded about it and will not push vaccines on you. They exist.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:30 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
are you going to home school ? if not then be prepared for not a school in this country taking this child without vaccinations . Im sorry but I would not want my kids or grandkids around yours due to the fact that your child may have an immunity to a disease that my grandchild might not and suffer from it for the rest of their lives . Believe me when I say the vaccinations are in place for a reason .

Old 03-28-2010, 09:58 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
isn't this thread about helping her find a dr. not bashing her views?

.................................................. .............................................

That's what she wants the thread to be about. When you post on the city-data-forum or elsewhere publicly, you take the chance that your thread will become about something else.

I have to say uncategorically I think people who refuse to vaccinate their kids are guilty of child neglect. The benefits of vaccines have been proven for over 100 years. How many times do they have to be proven and than proven again? At some point, its really not a question of science at all. Its a question of just how we are willing to let people go in endangering their children before the state and society steps in.

Yes, there are adverse reactions to vaccines. These adverse reactions have to be balanced against the danger to a child who may catch the disease that the vaccine is designed to prevent. Catching even simple diseases like mumps and rubella can cause several hundred individuals out of a population of millions to die. I can promise you that this is far, far more than the deaths caused by adverse reactions to the vaccine.

Those who refuse to vaccinate also fail to grasp that vaccines aren't just for you. Vaccines not only protect your children from getting sick, they prevent the spread of disease to other children. If your kids aren't sick, they can't pass the disease to others. All the other children who are vaccinated also can't pass the disease to others. This concept is known as "herd immunity".

The causal link between the MMR shot and autism has been debunked by at least twelve separate scientific studies. I find it appalling that in light of this that a substantial segment of the population still refuses to accept it. It is clear to me that no amount of scientific proof will convince people who are deadset that they are right and everyone else is wrong.

People who really feel this way should homeschool or move to a desert island.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:41 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
ummm....I can't even count the contradictions in this post. You are kidding right? About everything?
When I stated 120-130 vaccines, I didn't mean to say that kids receive 120-130 different vaccines. Sorry for the miscommunication. What I meant by that statement, was that kids (infancy through teenage years) receive so many injections, and "boosters" for vaccines that are unnecessary. I believe there are some good vaccines, don't get me wrong. But I also think there are many, many others that are unnecessary. I don't feel the need to argue by points and convince others to not vaccinate their children. That is your choice.

In terms of schools not letting kids enter because they are unvaccinated, this simply isn't true. Most states allow parents to claim an exemption, whether it's for religious reasons or others. By doing this, those kids may be "quarantined" and kept from school during a possible outbreak, but otherwise they can attend school. They are not exposing your vaccinated children to a disease because they are attending school. If your children are vaccinated, then how are they going to contract?

I'm sorry if you think I'm full of contradictions. I'm not sure why, but as much research has been done to show that not all vaccines are necessary, as has been done to show that vaccines are safe. We all make choices with our children. It's not abuse to not expose them to unecessary harm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting