Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 03:36 PM

677 posts, read 1,534,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Write them a pleasant note.

"Dear F,

I think it's really cool you do all those home projects. It takes an incredible amount of patience and motivation to take on construction and repair projects like you do. I do hope your ******* hand is okay after you ******** smashed it on that ******* two-by-four. I would hate for your ******* project to **** all to hell when you've already put so much ******* work into it. If you need any ******* help, just yell.

******* sincerely,

Your ******* neighbor

Adjust as appropriate.
What scarmig said. Too funny!!

Do you have a tall wooden privacy fence? Can they not see your children outside?

I have next door neighbors with 3 teenage boys. They are usually pretty good kids. Until their Mom goes out town.

My 4 and 5 year old daughters bedroom is close to their driveway. One night I could hear yelling over the baby monitor I still have in their room. I can hear one of the boys having a cussing fight with his teenage girlfriend. I ran over to them "Oh!! My!! Gosh!! Are you OK? Is anyone hurt?? OMG,,,what happened??? I could hear you from my little girl's bedroom,,, I was afraid something bad had happened."

It helped remember they aren't the only people in the world.

Maybe you could do something like that the next time they start the ******* bad language. Go into concerned mother mode.

Be extra excited- "OMG- are you ok??? Is someone hurt?? I'm trained in emergency first aid,,,,is anyone bleeding??!! I haven't heard that kind language since my brother cut his foot with a chainsaw. (Or insert other gruesome accident) Oh, everyone's OK?? Whew,,, that is so good to hear. After I became a Mom, I am on high-alert all the time. Oh,, so you're rebuilding your Harley??? That is a big job!! That is a really nice Grim Reaper tat on your chest and stomach and back. We haven't met yet,,, I'm "______" These are my kids "_______" . I'll bring my husband to meet you when he's here. Maybe we can get together for wine/beer/tequila shots/???? sometime??!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 04:23 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,423,871 times
Next time they are out there going at it, send the kids inside, walk near to where they are and yell, "Mother f----- can't fix s---, and all they are going at is spouting a bunch of f------ profanity! I wish some people would grow a vocabulary and hire a f------ handyman!"

Just joking. I vote for the loud music.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:17 AM

18,379 posts, read 31,491,271 times
If your children are outside playing, they probably aren't even paying attention to the men anyway.
It's really best not to start trouble where you live, nothing is worse than fighting with neighbors.
Besides, there is going to be a lot of stuff you wouldn't want your children to see or hear, but that's the way of the world unfortunetely.
I don't think you should get yourself all crazy over it.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:50 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,843,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Write them a pleasant note.

"Dear F,

I think it's really cool you do all those home projects. It takes an incredible amount of patience and motivation to take on construction and repair projects like you do. I do hope your ******* hand is okay after you ******** smashed it on that ******* two-by-four. I would hate for your ******* project to **** all to hell when you've already put so much ******* work into it. If you need any ******* help, just yell.

******* sincerely,

Your ******* neighbor

Adjust as appropriate.
This...

But delivered in a pink envelope...

Get a radio outside for the kids, teach your kids not to repeat everything they hear, be a parent not a scared neighbor.

I have a mouth like two sailors, but around my children I constrain myself. and if I don't, my wife lets me know with a right hand to the back of the skull

Old 03-30-2010, 05:54 PM

50,116 posts, read 63,494,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
It doesn't matter if they are neighbors, your kids are going to hear those words. They are going to see people do things that you don't want them to see or do. You've got to instill in them the values you want them to have at home, and trust them to use their judgement when they encounter these circumstances. You can't sanitize the world so that your kids never have to encounter anything unpleasant.

And learn to not be so offended by them. Most people use the f-word as an adjective these days, not as an oath.
No, most people do not.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:04 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,590,771 times
No anonymous notes. I'd go over there with a cake in my hand and smile on my face. Just tell them they probably don't know how much their voice carries, but your kids can hear those words, and you would appreciate it if they'd try to keep the language under control. If they sneer at you, hit 'em with the cake and run.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:29 PM

1,689 posts, read 4,289,670 times
How are you going to send an anonymous note? Bad idea. It's illegal to open someone else's mailbox (if you mail it; it will seem contrived) and if you go on their property without permission they could have an issue with that.

Talk to them when they are not arguing.

Teach your kids the language is not right.

I like the cake idea but don't hit them with it; maybe cookies.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,747,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
I like the cake idea but don't hit them with it; maybe cookies.
I wouldn't eat food someone gave me when they came to complain about me.

I once had a crazy neighbor who brought me baked goods. It was just too bizzare that she brought it to us.

We seriously thought it could have been poisoned. We accepted it graciously, but we tossed it into the trash.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:00 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,441,093 times
I wouldn't go there and say anything --- it's really none of your business what they do on their property or what they say on their property. You don't know how they're going to react to you and, if their language is that bad, do you really think they're going to stop? When they get frustrated over a project, do you think they're going to scream "oh tiddley-winks"

Just as you don't like the bad language maybe they don't like hearing kids screaming and making noise.

Your kids are going to be exposed to bad language and a host of other things you don't want them to be exposed to. Once they're in school, they will learn every "bad" word under the sun --- in Kindergarten, one boy taught the whole class how to "give the finger" and what it meant. Nice, right? And this was in a catholic school. Unfortunately, that's life and that's how it goes. Not much you can do aout it other than keeping your kids in the house 24/7/365 and never let them have any outside influence ever.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:36 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,670,350 times
^^^ I totally disagree. It is your business as they are your neighbors and your children can hear what they are saying. My son learned his first word from our neighbor, thank goodness it was NO, but it was from the neighbor's daughter constantly taking toys and saying NO!

When we moved into our house our neighbors behind us had a horrid fence that was falling down and dangerous. I hate confrontation but needed to find out their intent with the fence. They were spending $$$ on making their backyard beautiful, while the fence was falling into our yard and board breaking off.

I went over, knocked on the door and said "Hey, I am your new neighbor nice to meet you. Your backyard is looking beautiful, I love all the work you are doing! I am a bit concerned about the fence, your dog has escaped into our yard, and the kids are getting splinters. Do you have plans?"

My heart I thought was going to come out of my chest. The guy was really nice and it turned out wonderfully. The fence was replace about 6 months later and we have become friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting