Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:21 AM

18,385 posts, read 31,499,727 times

Advertisements

Well, my 3 sons do the sagging thing too, I laugh at them, tell them they look like idiots, they laugh back at me, oh so this is the worst they do, I can live with that.
besides it is a style now, that will go out of style soon enough.
Hey, get good grades in school, prepare for college, you can wear your pants inside out, upside down, and around your tush. just bring me straight "A" then we are good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 10:35 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,376,368 times
Well, I'm not a big fan of sagging. I think schools need to enforce the dress codes they have - but most don't. Whether parents allow it is really up to them - we teach our son that people will make judgements on you by your appearance (rightly or wrongly - just a fact) - no sagging at our house - but that is our decision. I just think putting up billboards to address a fashion issue is not particularly helpful. Not familiar with this Senator but my thoughts are that when people start feeling like they are unable to make a difference in meaningful ways, they start looking for little things to get back in the spotlight. Sagging will go out of style eventually, just like other unfortunate fads (leisure suits, polyester shirts with big pointy collars....). It will help when these kids can't find jobs....

Old 03-30-2010, 04:13 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,489,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
It will help when these kids can't find jobs....
Nope. They'll live off of assistance, be it their families or public. Why get a job? Life is about walking around w/ your a$$ showing to 14yr old girls & knowing that you are annoying many others. It's been around for a long time. I seriously worry about the state of US teenagers anymore & even more so, the extreme challenges parents face due to the excessive materialism (big box stores, cell phones w/ every gadget imaginable, internet)..things that were not around 15 years ago & IMO, have not made life better for anyone.

I don't know of many schools that allow the sagging pants. I never wanted that sort of attention as a teenager nor wanted to be around people that got that sort of attention (I remember a "friend" at some pool party when I was 15 coming in & telling us how she just had sex in the woods w/ a classmate & was laughing about it...I found it sad). Even now, not a fan of short shorts or boobs showing even around my own home & I'm a grown adult. Don't want to be all Duggar-ess but at the same time, don't need everything showing nor would I want to see my dh walking around w/ his underwear showing

Old 03-30-2010, 04:20 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,376,368 times
The kids who will go on to live off "assistance" will do so regardless of the state of their pants though. I agree that it isn't what I want (or allow) my kids to look like. I don't see schools enforcing much quite honestly. They are scared of being accused of any sort of "-ism"....A local HS here I hear keeps the A/C on so that the girls will cover up rather than speak to them about their inappropriate dress. The male teachers won't say anything for fear of some girl coming back and accusing him of "looking"....It is a problem, no question - but I don't think the answer lies in a politician putting up billboards. The answer lies in homes, churches, schools etc. The kids who have any kind of sense will move out of that phase eventually and the kids who have none and will go on anticipating a life on government assistance or drug dealing will do so even with their pants pulled up to their armpits.

The pants are just a fad - the actual problem is harder to solve.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:36 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,495,183 times
These articles always remind me of the time our son came home with this pants....my husband being the reasonable person that he his said to the boy....I'll give you a choice...you pull them up or I will.

The son chose wisely.

Maybe this new healthcare bill will not allow payment for the carpal tunnel these kids will have in their hands from constantly having to hold their pants up not the hip replacements they'll need later for having to walk so funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting