Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 06:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,072,590 times

Advertisements

have the kids leave the eggs that you want hidden out for the bunny to see and hide. We do that with plastic eggs. We have way too many to add more every year. Growing up, we colored eggs and the easter bunny hid them. Now, we color them, but don't hide them. not sure why. We just fill and hide the plastic ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 06:59 PM

841 posts, read 4,831,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
We hide plastic eggs. We let the kids color real eggs and then we eat them over the following week.
Ditto. We do the same exact thing.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 632 times
in my family we've never coloured our eggs idk why we just dont, we just wait till easter morning and then me and my brother will search the entire house for the eggs the easter bunny left. 2 years ago we didnt get a hunt but last year he had us search for reeses peanut butter cups and that made up for the mistake he made the year before. and for some reason he always gives us a big pile of candy and presents im not complaining though

Old 03-13-2018, 11:50 PM

7,971 posts, read 7,318,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Just like cookies for Santa, you "leave them out for the Easter Bunny" at night, and when the kids wake up, the baskets are empty and the eggs are hidden.

If you want.

We just make the older kids hide them for the younger kids. Easter Bunny just brings a basket of toys and candy.

This. We'd color the eggs either Friday or Saturday, and leave them out Saturday night for the Easter Bunny to hide in the yard. He'd leave my kids baskets of candy, usually more than one (there were always baskets with truckloads of candy from my parents, too). The rule was, eat as much as you want...only don't get sick. We still do this for grandsons wherever we are Easter weekend...last year it was at their great grandmother's (my mom's). We had the egg hunt in her yard. Boy, she enjoyed watching that! Easter Bunny only leaves them toys and clothes, though...DD doesn't let my grandsons eat candy.

I remember when my oldest daughter was little, her uncles (my brothers), would sneakily take the eggs out of her basket and rehide them. You should have seen the confused look on her face!

One year, when my own daughters were young, we spent Easter weekend at DH's parents house (who are Seventh Day Adventist and don't observe anything about Easter...not Easter Baskets, candy, egg hunts, or the "Easter Bunny"). It was a dilemma, because we didn't want our girls to miss out on Easter fun they looked forward to, yet we didn't want to do anything to offend my in-laws. DH talked to them, and they consented to let us color eggs and hide them Easter for an egg hunt. They'd never seen anyone color Easter eggs before (neither had DH until he met me). As for the baskets of candy, I still filled those, but got disapproving looks from MIL (even though I didn't let the kids chow down until we were in the car going home).

Old 03-14-2018, 05:23 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,144,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We never colored eggs when I was a kid (I don't think this tradition is as popular in New England, because we only have brown eggs?) Either that or we just didn't do it in our family.
Since when do we only have brown eggs???

Quote:
So, I've always thought it was a charming tradition to color eggs and we did this when my kids were little (white eggs in Ohio).
But my question is, how do you have the Easter Bunny hide the colored eggs, if the kids themselves colored them the day before?
We always hid those plastic eggs with candy in them in the yard for the kids to find, and gave them Easter baskets...from the Easter Bunny, but I wonder how other families do the Easter egg thing?
We never hid the colored eggs. We hid the plastic ones with stuff inside.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:48 AM

36,100 posts, read 30,588,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Since when do we only have brown eggs???

LOL. I thought that was an odd statement. Brown eggs in New England and white eggs in Ohio. Maybe you only have one breed of chicken in New England? I get light brown, dark brown, white, green and blue eggs in my back yard in TN.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:04 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,493,954 times
Our chickens laid colored eggs, so there was no reason to color them more.

My brother would host an egg decorating party with colored eggs and various eyes antennae etc that could be glued onto them. We did not take the kids own eggs and put them in their Easter baskets, we just put them on the dining room table or kitchen island. Same with decorated cookies at Christmas.

When we wanted to start family Easter traditions, we wanted to hide the Easter baskets like some families we heard of did. It kind of makes Easter morning more fun. However our kids were too little to be able to stay focused on hunting for their Easter baskets and would likely never find them. So, we put a name tag attached to a ribbon of a specific color. They had to follow the ribbon with their name on it to get to their Easter basket. The next year we started putting various "prizes along the way hidden at different points along the ribbon. As the got older, we kept the ribbon concept but it got harder and harder to follow. When they learned to read, we added inspirational messages linked to the message of Christ along the ribbon. When they got to be teens, it became a challenge. We tried to run the ribbon through absurd places where they would have to figure out how they could access it in order the follow the ribbon. The best gifts were always hidden in the absurdly difficult to access locations. It was fun and a way to give them the things we would buy for them anyway.

We continue these traditions even though they are young adults now. It is just fun. At Christmas and Easter they still all sleep on the floor in one persons' room. It is just tradition. Took a bit of figuring out what to do when they brought a beau home for the holidays though.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:06 AM

35,508 posts, read 17,765,818 times
I've heard recently that brown eggs make better eggs to color - the colors come out very deep and beautiful, not the pastel color that white eggs turn.

We're using brown eggs this year. Oh, and PAAS of course. ;D

Old 03-14-2018, 08:15 AM

14,226 posts, read 11,522,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I've heard recently that brown eggs make better eggs to color - the colors come out very deep and beautiful, not the pastel color that white eggs turn.

We're using brown eggs this year. Oh, and PAAS of course. ;D
I was just about to say this. They do. My kids used to request that I buy brown eggs for the few weeks before Easter because they liked dyeing them better than the white ones.

Instead of hard-boiling them, I would blow the eggs out and save the shells. This also meant starting a few weeks ahead of time to have a good supply of blown-out eggshells. They last forever if you treat them carefully, and we have a basket of particularly nice ones we've saved over the years.

However, when I was a kid we dyed hard-boiled eggs. They sat in a basket on the kitchen table until they were all eaten, which was up to a week. No one ever got sick. In fact, we used to take hard-boiled eggs in the shells on week-long backpacking trips and eat them all week. Again, no sickness. Reports of hard-boiled eggs harboring fatal bacteria if they're out of the refrigerator for more than hour are highly exaggerated.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:09 PM

19,585 posts, read 9,117,631 times
The eggs the kids colored, we would arrange in an Easter centerpiece, with the leftovers in the fridge. The eggs I colored (my husband usually left that to me), I would put in their baskets from the Easter Bunny. I also bought the plastic eggs, too, but those (with treats inside) were strictly for hiding for the Easter Egg hunt, and the kids knew that those came from us. They never questioned any of it.

Btw, a neat crafty and a VERY low-cost art project for the kids were saving the colored hard-boiled shells for the kids to make mosaic art a few days later (glue and either paper or paper plates are all that's required). Don't ask me why, but they really enjoyed doing that.

Last edited by katharsis; 03-14-2018 at 04:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting