Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 07:36 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,315,360 times

Advertisements

They hunt for plastic eggs, not real ones. But most kids over 5 don't believe that an Easter Bunny goes around hiding eggs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 07:46 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,835,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
They hunt for plastic eggs, not real ones. But most kids over 5 don't believe that an Easter Bunny goes around hiding eggs.
5? More like 8 or 10. And I have parented a lot of kids. 4 is the younger end, 12 is the older end. But there is wiggle room on both those sides.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:08 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,835,280 times
Setting an age when they "should" figure it out...it isn't accepting that people are different and unique.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:25 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,909,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We never colored eggs when I was a kid (I don't think this tradition is as popular in New England, because we only have brown eggs?) Either that or we just didn't do it in our family.
So, I've always thought it was a charming tradition to color eggs and we did this when my kids were little (white eggs in Ohio).
But my question is, how do you have the Easter Bunny hide the colored eggs, if the kids themselves colored them the day before?
We always hid those plastic eggs with candy in them in the yard for the kids to find, and gave them Easter baskets...from the Easter Bunny, but I wonder how other families do the Easter egg thing?
I was born and raised in New England, and we kids colored Easter Eggs every year. We would leave the eggs out at night in a bowl and the Easter Bunny would come and hide them while we slept. We always left a carrot for him that would have some teeth marks on it in the morning and a little bit of white fur, (which looked suspiciously like the fur from our white cat.) And of course, the Easter baskets full of candy were waiting for us as well.

We would eat the hardboiled eggs for days afterward, and then my mother would save the colored shells and we would create decorative mosaic'd jars and bottles by gluing the small pieces of shells to them.

In New England, you could always get white eggs if you wanted them....not just brown.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:57 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,213,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Since when do we only have brown eggs???

Thread is from 2010 but I agree nonetheless. We only have brown eggs? The hell? Lol.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:36 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,132,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Hmmm. Are you trying to tell me that my BF is really the one hiding eggs for me?

Old 03-14-2018, 09:39 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,132,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I was born and raised in New England, and we kids colored Easter Eggs every year. We would leave the eggs out at night in a bowl and the Easter Bunny would come and hide them while we slept. We always left a carrot for him that would have some teeth marks on it in the morning and a little bit of white fur, (which looked suspiciously like the fur from our white cat.) And of course, the Easter baskets full of candy were waiting for us as well.
Love it!

Old 03-16-2018, 03:32 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,538,935 times
We colored many kinds of eggs. White and brown chicken eggs, Duck eggs, Banti hen eggs. They all took the dye differently, and the white chicken eggs were actually the least pretty IMO. Mom hid them mostly around the house and occasionally a forgotten one made a itself known a month or so later. haha

Old 03-16-2018, 04:50 PM

6,874 posts, read 7,839,699 times
Quote:
Yes. Us too, but don't a lot of people hide colored eggs?
Not that I know of.

For one thing, the dog would eat them.

my brother and I would hide and find Plastic eggs every day for a week before easter. The real eggs were put in the fridge, then the Bunny would somehow put the eggs in the basket. We got candy in our basket, and new stockings or something to wear to church. There may have been an egg hunt in a public place or at church, but I don't recall anything like that. Then we'd have egg salad for lunch.

Once you're old enough to question how/why the bunny got the eggs out of the fridge, you probably don't believe in the easter bunny anymore.

With my own kids, we put out a display of real eggs in the baskets and on the table. Then the Easter Bunny would come, leave candy and dollar store crap and an item of spring clothing. He would also leave half eaten boiled eggs nearby. Then we'd have egg salad for lunch.

Come to think of it, the dog will eat plastic eggs with candy in them also.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:18 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,443,063 times
Quote:
We never colored eggs when I was a kid (I don't think this tradition is as popular in New England, because we only have brown eggs?) Either that or we just didn't do it in our family.
So, I've always thought it was a charming tradition to color eggs and we did this when my kids were little (white eggs in Ohio).
But my question is, how do you have the Easter Bunny hide the colored eggs, if the kids themselves colored them the day before?
We always hid those plastic eggs with candy in them in the yard for the kids to find, and gave them Easter baskets...from the Easter Bunny, but I wonder how other families do the Easter egg thing?
When I was a kid we colored the eggs and left them out for the Easter Bunny who hid them. The Easter Bunny also hid a bunch of chocolate candy eggs. We didn't question it, even though the Easter Bunny would hide them inside the house when weather was bad and outside when it was nice. Having read through these posts I got tickled by a poster mentioning that their dog would probably eat the real eggs. Yes. When I look back to my childhood I realize how much trouble my parents must have gone to in order to keep our dog from chowing down on the real eggs. That only occurred to me when I was doing the Easter Egg hunt for my own kid. I hid the real eggs out of the dog's reach (inside or outside). We also hid the plastic eggs that had treats inside. Tradition in our family was a decorated Easter Basket with a chocolate Easter Bunny already in it, then the egg hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting