Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 05:23 AM

88,224 posts, read 84,144,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
I grew up in New England and we colored eggs. We never did the Easter egg hunting/Easter Baskets and such as my hardcore Catholic family thought that was all just crap made up from the Hallmark card company.
Also grew up without the Easter Bunny thing, it being considered a sullied not so pious 'celebration' of the holiday.... <shrug> Oh well.
Whatever. We don't do any of it nowadays.But back then we colored them and ate them over the course of the week....

And by the way, the eggs are white brown or speckled due to the kind of hen that lays them, it has absolutely nothing to do with geography.
Haha at that last line. True, but I get what the OP is saying. My MIL grew up in Maine, and she never saw white eggs until she moved to NJ after she got married.

That was many years ago, though.

ETA--I didn't realize this was an old thread. I posted the above back in 2010, too!

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-18-2018 at 05:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Growing up, we always colored eggs then left them out in the carton Saturday night. On Easter morning, all the eggs would be hidden, along with baskets. I do the same for my boys now. We have never, ever, ever used plastic eggs and as long as I am breathing we won't!

By the way, not only can you dye brown eggs, the colors turn out brighter than the on the white eggs.
I'm with you. I don't like the use of plastic eggs. It's one more step toward the cheezination of America. And yeah, I made up that word just now!

Old 03-18-2018, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
Okay, maybe this is a stupid question, but (for those that hide real eggs) do you eat these real eggs that sit out all night? Don't they go bad? Or do you just throw them away afterwards?
No. They don't go bad. People who worry about things like that are probably the same types who deny their children the joy of licking cake batter because it has raw egg in it.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:14 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,663,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No. They don't go bad. People who worry about things like that are probably the same types who deny their children the joy of licking cake batter because it has raw egg in it.
The bigger issue used to be not finding all the ones you hid, and attracting animals later. Luckily when my daughter was little we had a dog who loved hard boiled eggs, so after my daughter found as many eggs as she could find the Tesswould sniff out any we had forgotten for a snack. We had to use veggie dyes because she like eating the shell too.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:44 AM

19,586 posts, read 9,117,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

My concern USED to be raw egg bacteria, but now there's something new to worry about:

https://www.sciencealert.com/dry-flo...erous-bacteria

However, although I forbade my kids from eating cake batter or raw dough, I know they sneaked the Toll House cookie dough in very small amounts, and they never got sick, and I also used to do the same when I was a kid, and neither I nor my siblings ever got sick from doing so, either. I think that it all boils down to whether or not someone is comfortable with taking what is probably VERY small risk, so I am not going to criticize anyone for saying yes or no in this decision.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:11 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,696,836 times
Haha, this is an old thread, and I posted under my old name (I lost the password and ended up starting a new one a few years ago). Anyway, I do let my kids eat raw batter and tiramisu. I just wouldn't eat eggs that sat out all night. It's a moot point now; my children are teenagers and they don't care about coloring eggs or hunting for hidden eggs anymore. *Sniff*

Old 03-18-2018, 12:14 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,196,772 times
In the 60s, we usually dyed a couple of dozen hardboiled eggs for eating.

The outdoor egg hunt was for plastic eggs with jelly beans and foil-wrapped chocolate eggs inside.

We also learned to blow out the contents of eggs, dye and decorate them, and every year we brought in a small branch to hang them on as an Easter egg tree. I particularly remember one egg made by my brother that had buttons glued on as a steering wheel and wheels with a fluffy chick "driving" it. My mother carefully packed those away and brought them out again each year for a very long time.

I repeated all of these rituals with my own son when he was young. He loved the egg hunts so much I remember him asking me to hide them again like the Bunny did the first time.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:44 AM

18,748 posts, read 11,737,193 times
I don't think there was plastic eggs when I was a child. We colored eggs and the Easter bunny hid them. We got a little candy to share. The ham dinner was just as important.

I have a precious 5 year old Hindu girl in my life now and I've introduced her to the Easter traditions. We colored eggs together last year, and her and her mom spent the night. Her Easter basket was on the table from the Easter bunny and she looked for plastic eggs with candy inside. I also hid the colored ones in the cols attic in the morning when she was outside. They are coming again this year to spend the night. It will make Easter all the more special seeing it through a child's eyes again. I can't wait to color eggs with her again this year. I will keep Easter alive for her as long as she still believes in the Easter bunny, and yes, I will hide the colored eggs. She's such a joy.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:48 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,028,586 times
We would color them by adding onion skins to the water. Beautiful.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Haha, this is an old thread, and I posted under my old name (I lost the password and ended up starting a new one a few years ago). Anyway, I do let my kids eat raw batter and tiramisu. I just wouldn't eat eggs that sat out all night. It's a moot point now; my children are teenagers and they don't care about coloring eggs or hunting for hidden eggs anymore. *Sniff*
I don't know, though, if cooked eggs sitting out all night would be that bad.

I make hard-boiled eggs all the time in the evening and let them sit to cool on the stove and leave them overnight. What is the difference?

I did it last night, as a matter of fact, and I took two to work with me for breakfast and refrigerated the rest. But I know I have forgotten and let them sit on the stove in the pan all day and put them away at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting