Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 02:58 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Except there is no vaccine for HIV and there is for Hep B....

Are you saying if there were a vaccine for HIV and it was recommended to be given immediately after birth you wouldn't get that either?

To me its the same sort of thing.
Not at birth but I'd definitey consider it later on, same for Hep B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Do you ever intend for your children to play ANY sports? The risk of blood contact during even non-contact sports like soccer and baseball is a very real possibility.
Yeah, that's why I said that I'd be open to getting it later on, not at birth though.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Dorthy ~

The problem is that you think you can protect your child from hepatitis B because you do not know of any relatives or friends who have it. They may not, and the risk may be small, but it is not a zero risk because all your friends and relatives may not have disclosed their health information to you.
I know that no one in my household has Hep B. Those are the only people who will be taking care of my infant. Relatives and friends may hold my baby from time to time but they won't be doing anymore then that so no I don't see any risk.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:48 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
I have always wondered this about non-vaccinating parents.

If they came out with a vaccine for HIV, AIDS and Cancer, would they still be unnecessary?
Unchecked hep b and HPV can lead to cancer so yes, the anti-vax contingent is essentially arguing against a vaccine to help prevent cancer. Amazing, huh?

Old 10-19-2010, 05:40 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Unchecked hep b and HPV can lead to cancer so yes, the anti-vax contingent is essentially arguing against a vaccine to help prevent cancer. Amazing, huh?
My ex-husband had a very severe reaction to a flu shot when he was young and developed Guillian-Barre syndrome. Due to the genetic factor my children have never had one but I never batted an eyelash over the rest. My kids can deal with the flu, Polio, not so much.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:00 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I think a big part of the problem is that vaccines are victims of their own success...

So many parents have never SEEN a vaccine preventable illness they don't understand the dangers....

Another problem, to be honest, is the internet.....there are so many garbage sites out there that spew nonsense and unfortunately there are too many gullible folks out there that believe if something is in print it must be true
A lot of people out there HAVE seen a vaccine injury, and so they are very aware of the dangers. Unfortunately, there are a lot of foolish folk out there that if they're told to do something , they will blindly trust and dohttp://www.zolkor.com/swineflu/morris.html

Old 10-19-2010, 08:42 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
A lot of people out there HAVE seen a vaccine injury, and so they are very aware of the dangers. Unfortunately, there are a lot of foolish folk out there that if they're told to do something , they will blindly trust and dohttp://www.zolkor.com/swineflu/morris.html
No one EVER said vaccination was a completely risk free venture. The problem that ill informed anti-vaxxers like yourself fail to admit is that non-vaccination is not risk free ether. For most people the risks from vaccine preventable diseases far outweigh the risks from vaccination. People who cannot vaccinated should beg others who can to protect them.

As for the bad link you pulled well that source is laughable.

WHALE

This site is the HQ of just about every idiot conspiracy theory ever dreamed up by someone with a kindergarten education and a shortage of psych meds.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:14 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,686 times
I would love to see a .gov website about vaccines causing anything. Yes there are side-effects of vaccines BUT there are also side effects of medications and clothing and food.....Im really thinking if this new thing is parents not vaccinating Im totally homeschooling my daughter until we move to NY because no way in hell am I going to allow my daughter (who already has a compromised immune system) to be near those who dont have vaccines. Do people ever think about other people?

Old 10-19-2010, 10:57 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
I would love to see a .gov website about vaccines causing anything. Yes there are side-effects of vaccines BUT there are also side effects of medications and clothing and food.....Im really thinking if this new thing is parents not vaccinating Im totally homeschooling my daughter until we move to NY because no way in hell am I going to allow my daughter (who already has a compromised immune system) to be near those who dont have vaccines. Do people ever think about other people?

Here you go. Everything from anthrax to yellow fever: Vaccines: Vac-Gen/Side Effects

Old 10-20-2010, 05:36 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
A lot of people THINK they have seen a vaccine injury because, like you, they think if someone gets a vaccination and 5 minutes later gets hit by a bus, the vaccination caused it....

Foolish people mine the web for sites that back up ridiculous assertions without investigating those sources to see if they are reliable...

Foolish people ignore reams of scientific evidence, decades of data showing little to no risk from vaccination and unquestionable proof of effectiveness in favor of "conspiracy theories" that can never be proven...

Foolish people make unsubstantiated claims regarding harms of vaccines and how they work when clearly they have less than a 12 year olds understanding of biology, chemistry, physiology....

Foolish people believe anything you write.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting