Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 01:42 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,473,541 times

Advertisements

According to the first link, the growth is being funded directly by government grants to develop new vaccines and new technology making production cheaper. It also extolls the virtue of vaccines.

The second link speaks about the increase in vaccines among the older population (Gardisil in particular) as increasing the revenue from vaccines significantly. It mentions that pediatric vaccines are expected to remain flat. Not to mention it's a free press site with numerous spelling errors in the "article" and refers to Europe as a "country".

The third article talks about the boost of revenue to drug companies primarily centered around the development of the H1N1 vaccine. It also goes on to make the same comments that the first article did regarding much of the increased investment being generated by government spending in the form of research grants and purchases of vaccines.

Nice try, but the fact remains that it is a low margin sector of the business and current investment is being driven by government spending because the pharma companies were not investing in the sector. Also, the growth is in flu/pandemic disease vaccines and vaccines for the older population, not for infants/children.

My question remains, why do all of these groups push vaccines so strongly? What is their motivator? Hint: It's NOT money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 01:48 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,158,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
My question remains, why do all of these groups push vaccines so strongly? What is their motivator? Hint: It's NOT money.
I answered this in my last post.

A small profit for a pharmaceutical company is still a lot of money.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:39 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,473,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I answered this in my last post.

A small profit for a pharmaceutical company is still a lot of money.
Than why have so many of them gotten out of the business to the point that there are vaccine shortages and the government has to support research and investment to spurn the companies to get back into the biz.

Pharma makes big money off of fixing Daddy's "performance issue", they barely make anything off making sure Little Johnny doesn't die from a preventable disease.

The evidence more than supports the point that major drug companies are not making money off of this, which flies directly in the face of the reason most often cited by the anti-vax crowd as to why vaccines are being pushed. It is not some vast capitalist conspiracy where drug companies bribe officials to recommend more vaccines to pad their pocketbooks.

The simple fact remains that vaccines save lives and prevent diseases that can severely cripple people. If you want to know where the money comes in, it's that it's far cheaper to give a vaccine than it is to pay for the costs of treating and caring for the people that develop the disease. So, yes, money can be a motivator, but not for the reason you cited and certainly not for the drug companies that need to be cajoled into even making them.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:33 PM

707 posts, read 1,460,961 times
Here you go:
Where vaccine doubt persists - CNN.com

Im gunna quote the t.v show house:

Woman: i don't vaccinate my kids, the pharmaceutical industry makes a fortune off of them they're just trying to collect my 14 bucks
House: you know what else is a big industry? Little tiny baby coffins. They come in green, blue, and fire engine red.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:37 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,625,789 times
Quote:
The news story talks about the link between funding and "independent" vaccine supporters. The article is not about a link between autism and vaccines.

BTW, there is much more to the Andrew Wakefiled's studies then what you heard about in the mainstream media. I don't believe the theory has been debunked and I don't believe that all 19 of the peer reviewed studies done by Wakefield and his colleagues, some of them leading researchers in their respective fields (like John Walker Smith) are all based on pseudoscience. There is more then one side to the story and to believe everything that you heard about this in the mainstream media is incredibly naive, imo.
What makes you think I hear -anything- via mainstream media? I don't watch TV, and the only thing I listen to on the radio is music. Up until a couple of months ago, I didn't even have speakers for my computer. Your sources might be glurge e-mails and scary fairytales of horror and doom and op-eds from blogs and "investigative reporters" reporting their interpretation of an out-of-context misquote. Mine is actual research papers, and articles written by medical professionals in professional medical publications (such as the JAMA, for example).

I'm much more apt to take what *I* read seriously, than anything you would offer as "evidence" of anything.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:57 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,173,920 times
Quote:
Ever hear of smear campaigns? Have you ever bothered to hear the other side to this story? It's quite fascinating. Wakefield did not fake his data. He did not have an alternative MMR vaccine in the works. After his first (of 19peer reviewed and published studies) he strongly recommended that people use the single dose, measles, mumps and rubella vaccines rather then the combined vaccine because the problem was not with the single dose vaccines, it was with the combined one. He was never anti-vax. He was very pro-vax, just in single doses in the case of MMR. Unfortunately the UK government took the single dose option away shortly after Wakefield' first study was published. Smith was a leader in his field and very respected. He was a victim of the smear campaign as well.
Andrew Wakefield absolutely DID fake his data....so any conclusions about the combined vaccine versus single dosing are meaningless...

MMR does NOT cause autism...plain and simple...

Wakefield is a fraud....plain and simple...

Not a smear campaign....the truth.

He also DID have an alternate vaccine in the works and he was paid IN ADVANCE of his study to attack the MMR

From the investigative reporter who helped unmask this landmark case of research fraud:

Andrew Wakefield research fraud exposed: the MMR investigation

Old 10-20-2010, 05:11 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Here you go:
Where vaccine doubt persists - CNN.com

Im gunna quote the t.v show house:

Woman: i don't vaccinate my kids, the pharmaceutical industry makes a fortune off of them they're just trying to collect my 14 bucks
House: you know what else is a big industry? Little tiny baby coffins. They come in green, blue, and fire engine red.
Stupid tv show and it's holywood docter. pharmaceutical companies make wwwwwaaaayyyy more off of vaccinated people who's immune systems have become so compromised from all the vaccine additives they've injected. Unvaccinated children alnost NEVER get ill, and when they do, they recover faster....OOOOYah

Old 10-20-2010, 05:18 PM

36,961 posts, read 40,898,119 times
Quote:
Ever hear of smear campaigns? Have you ever bothered to hear the other side to this story? It's quite fascinating. Wakefield did not fake his data. He did not have an alternative MMR vaccine in the works. After his first (of 19peer reviewed and published studies) he strongly recommended that people use the single dose, measles, mumps and rubella vaccines rather then the combined vaccine because the problem was not with the single dose vaccines, it was with the combined one. He was never anti-vax. He was very pro-vax, just in single doses in the case of MMR. Unfortunately the UK government took the single dose option away shortly after Wakefield' first study was published. Smith was a leader in his field and very respected. He was a victim of the smear campaign as well.
Actually, some of the things Wakefield did were really egregious. He reported autism symptoms as not being present before the vaccines were administered, when they were, and he did colonoscopies and biopsies and indicated the biopsies were abnormal when they were not.

This is a journalistic expose and a bit sensationalistic. Feel free to refute any of the facts if you can, but Wakefield was not "smeared." What he did was wrong. Investigation of MMR and Andrew Wakefield, by Brian Deer

Old 10-20-2010, 06:10 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,173,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Stupid tv show and it's holywood docter. pharmaceutical companies make wwwwwaaaayyyy more off of vaccinated people who's immune systems have become so compromised from all the vaccine additives they've injected. Unvaccinated children alnost NEVER get ill, and when they do, they recover faster....OOOOYah
1. Vaccines don't compromise immune systems
2. Unvaccinated children get as sick if not sicker than immunized children (depending on what vaccines are missed ie Hib, pertussis etc)
3. Unvaccinated children don't recover from any illness faster than vaccinated children and may not recover at all....see Hib, pertussis etc

Carry on.....

Old 10-20-2010, 06:55 PM

707 posts, read 1,460,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post

Im not sure I can believe you, your grammar is out of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting