Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:59 PM

11,754 posts, read 14,595,381 times

Advertisements

I haven't read the entire thread, but according to the news story, this is what the law says:

State statute 145.905 says, "A mother may breast-feed in any location, public or private, where the mother and child are otherwise authorized to be, irrespective of whether the nipple of the mother's breast is uncovered during or incidental to the breast-feeding." (http://http://www.twincities.com/ci_14826344?IADID=Search-www.twincities.com-www.twincities.com - broken link)

I really find nothing to argue with in this statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 03:32 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,680,223 times
^^The woman in the story had on a low cut blouse or shirt and took her breast out over the top (the neck of the shirt). It wasn't just a nip or a little flesh showing. It was the entire breast. And she refused to put a blanket or anything over herself.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:44 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,025,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
^^The woman in the story had on a low cut blouse or shirt and took her breast out over the top (the neck of the shirt). It wasn't just a nip or a little flesh showing. It was the entire breast. And she refused to put a blanket or anything over herself.
In this case, the rules of civil society demand that you exercise self-control and avert your eyes to protect both your dignity and hers. You cannot control her behavior, but you can control yours.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 04-08-2010 at 03:56 PM..

Old 04-08-2010, 04:12 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,963,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
In this case, the rules of civil society demand that you exercise self-control and avert your eyes to protect both your dignity and hers. You cannot control her behavior, but you can control yours.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner! While the woman may have been exposing more of her breast than she had to, she was legally allowed to do so. You (general) are legally allowed to look at her breast or look away. If you do not want to see that, then look away. Making a big deal over having the right to stare in her precise direction while not seeing a breast is overkill, is it not? Why can't you just look somewhere else?

Old 04-08-2010, 04:33 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,787,932 times
It's funny how some moms think, because it's precious to you. It has to be precious to me. If your baby is hungry, then get your azz up and use the restroom.

I've been around women and talking and visiting. All of a sudden her breast pops out. No warning no nothing! Just the breast and the baby. wtf.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:34 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,963,899 times
And you not wanting to look at a breast is precious to you, but not to me. My answer is the same: look away. You do not have the right to never catch a glimpse of a breast, unfortunately. If you don't want to see a baby eating, then feel free to take YOUR lunch into the restroom!

Old 04-08-2010, 05:29 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,025,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
It's funny how some moms think, because it's precious to you. It has to be precious to me. If your baby is hungry, then get your azz up and use the restroom.

I've been around women and talking and visiting. All of a sudden her breast pops out. No warning no nothing! Just the breast and the baby. wtf.
If you want to be treated with consideration and respect, you might start by learning how to treat others accordingly. Telling someone to "get your azz to the bathroom" is rude, especially for someone who must certainly be aware of a breastfed baby's need to nurse on a regular basis. After all, if you're visiting, these women must be your friends. Is this typically the way you treat your friends? Next time you find yourself in this position, I suggest that you take the opportunity to excuse yourself politely from the visit.

I'm beginning to think that people on both sides of this issue lack basic decorum and civility.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:38 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,203,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I have spend a decent amount of time in France and Germany. I never once saw a woman breastfeeding completely topless.
Good for you. I trust you didn't see every.last.single.person who lived in each respective country.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:40 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,787,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
And you not wanting to look at a breast is precious to you, but not to me. My answer is the same: look away. You do not have the right to never catch a glimpse of a breast, unfortunately. If you don't want to see a baby eating, then feel free to take YOUR lunch into the restroom!
Actually, I try try to stay clear of this situation. It doesn't creep me out. Just the thought of some moms thinking it's okay.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:42 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,203,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
That's no proof. I want to see photos or some kind of proof.

I've been in Canada many, many times and been in Toronto and Montreal among different places and NEVER saw a woman breastfeeding topless in restaurants or anywhere else.

My brother was in Germany for two years and never mentioned anything like that. Neither did his wife and she had their baby there.

Oh pics? SURE!!!

Namibia:

Moderator cut: image removed

Maggie Gyllenhall in Denmark:

Breastfeeding in Australia:

Last edited by Marka; 01-09-2014 at 10:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting